4 replies to this topic

#1 Qbranch

Qbranch

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

I managed to post this on You Tube.

Not sure how long it maybe there but its the full documentary not the edited clip on the Bond UE.

Many may have this...... some may not .....this is for the some that may not...

Too good to keep in the vaults. Sorry EON ...

Cant post the link but its under

Whicker's World 1967 - Bond wants a woman they said....but three would do...

Enjoy.

#2 Terry

Terry

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

Thanks so much for posting this documentary.  I have been collecting Bond for nearly 40 years, have always wanted to see the complete program and,  at last.  It is such a great look inside the manic world of Bondomania in the sixties.  Interesting to note how good humored Connery seemed, even during the notorious press conference.  And to watch how Cubby Broccoli was working very hard to protect his actor from the hoards of Japanese camera men.  This needs to be on DVD.

#3 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

Thanks from me as well. I am especially fascinated with '60s classic era Bond clips and specials. There were so many, who knows how many still exist though with the practice of wiping tapes and such at the time. That few minutes on the DVD/blu-ray was basically a teaser. Same with that other abbreviated interview on the TMWTGG. It's nice to have them, but at the same time why bother with just a few clips. Rights issues are a very strange thing.

I also noticed that not just on this show, but others that Connery seems happy and not the glum, annoyed manner he's always said to be. I was especially amused at the moment he annoyed the hell out of the wardrobe guy or set dresser, whatever he was with the playful slap. Maybe Connery was just good at putting on a good public face when he was privately annoyed.

#4 Qbranch

Qbranch

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

Your welcome gents. Hope you enjoyed it.

It really was a great insight to how that movie was made, especially considering it was supposed to be Connery's last.

Possibly this is why he agreed to do this ..and why the producers agreed to the documentary.

Bond will continue....with or without Connery.

Of course in 1967 nobody knew why Connery was "hanging up his shoulder holster" but of course..now we do.

So in hindsight it doesn't surprise me that YOLT was supposed.... to be his last!

The press attention he received in Japan looked insane!

Coupled with his problems with Harry Saltzman in particular, its not hard to understand why he left the franchise.

I always felt after hearing various Connery interviews from this time, that he saw himself as more than Bond.

That the role just limited him... too much.

Arguably ..he was right.

Its a pity EON couldn't have put the whole documentary on the 50th anniversary Blu-ray set.

It could certainly benefit from a good digital 'clean up'.

Oh well.

I guess we will have to accept it for what it is, and be grateful, until it's officially released.

I can certainly.. do that! :D

Edited by Qbranch, 17 July 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#5 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Good to see Lewis Gilbert actually younger than the behind the scenes of TSWLM;