This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

If Paul Verhoeven and Joe Eszterhas did a Bond film together....

24 replies to this topic

#1 zantle97

zantle97

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:48 AM

What would happen? 

Alternatively, if the director was Brain DePalma, what would happen? :)

#2 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:56 AM

A desaster at the box office?

#3 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

I am keener on Verhoeven than Eszterhas but the intereste of Verhoeven is the political subtitle that he puts in his action movies and this, IMO, has no place in a Bond film

#4 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

Off the back of Basic Instinct, when they were both at the top of their game it could've been special.

But now...hmmm, no, not when there's so many good writers and directors who are at the top of their game up for grabs.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 04 June 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#5 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

Intriguing idea. Hopefully it would have been pre Showgirls and between Robocop and Basic Instinct. It would have included a lot more violence and nudity than are standard in a normal Bond film. Perhaps more along the lines of what Bros was hoping for with Tarantino.

#6 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

When Lucas saw his movie Spetters (don't know the international name) he looked very fast for another director for Return of the Jedi. :D

Paul Verhoevenen is in my country, Holland aka The Netherlands, very (in-)famous for a lot of seks and violence in his movies, but he made a couple of the most succesfull and most be loved movies in The Netherlands (Turks Fruit aka Turkish Delight; Soldaat van Oranje aka Soldier of Orange, both with the great and then still young Rutgher Hauer), Spetters and De vierde man (The Fourth Man) with Jeroen Krabbe.

International were Flesh and blood, Robocop, Total Recall, Starship Troopers and ofcourse Basic Instinct exellent movies, a lot of times with multiple meanings. 

Especially Starship Troopers is notorious, where he used the same techniques and camera shots as Leni Riefenstahls Triomf des Willens, the Nazzi proproganda movie.

I think Robocop and Total Recall -besides it are great action flicks- are very intelligent movies, with a lot of stuff for discussions.

Would he be a good director for James Bond?

I think he would do something special with it, but not in the eighties or even nineties. Back then the Broccolis would have been completely mad at range in just one day, because of all his provocative and not too subtle ideas!

But right now, yess it would be interesting, although he is already 76 years old.

On the other hand Eszterhas didn't write anything what even looks like a good script after Basic Instinct, so no, I don't see him writing a Bondmovie.

PS: Showgirls is one of my guilty pleasures. I think it's very funny (I don't know if it's supposed to be..).

Edited by Grard Bond, 04 June 2014 - 04:29 PM.

#7 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

Brian De Palma would be a dream. Doubtful it would happen, though.

#8 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

If Paul Verhoeven and Joe Eszterhas did a Bond film together....

Dame Judi Dench would have to cross-uncross-cross her legs. Yep, she has natural gray hair.

#9 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

What would happen? 

Alternatively, if the director was Brain DePalma, what would happen? :)

let's not go any further with this  :P

#10 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:25 AM

Joe Eszterhas you say.... lots of silicone and coke.

#11 Rufus Ffolkes

Rufus Ffolkes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

I think that ship has sailed, but Verhoeven in the 80s or 90s would have been awesome. If the producers could have reined in his excesses in a bit, I think he would have made a terrific director for the series. He's great with action and suspense, has a strong visual sense, a good eye for beautiful women, and a dark, satirical sense of humour.

Eszterhas...not so much.

#12 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

There's a scene at the beginning of Total Recall and someone is called Dr. Lul. That means in Dutch Dr. Penis!

I don't think anyone of the American studio had noticed this. Hahahaha!

#13 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

Personally I think it would have been a mess.

While Verhoeven at his best is a film-maker whose work I greatly enjoy, there is a sense that his most accessible - i.e. Hollywood work - was always quite violent. And with his prime being in the early 90s, I'm not sure it would have worked with a Bond film, especially considering how critical many were of LTK for being "too violent." And while the Bonds have always been happy to send themselves up, I think Verhoeven's cutting edge and borderline self-loathing when it comes to satire are really at odds with EON's very tame "hey, look, we're making fun of ourselves" self-awareness.

Esterhaus on the other hand is something who IMHO has a reputation that far, far, outstrips his talent. With the exception of Betrayed, the rest of his work are all variations on the same theme, and ultimately plot-wise, they're TV-movie fodder with swearing and nudity added. While Basic Instinct seems to have a decent reputation, I put that down primarily to the movie's cast (and one single Sharon Stone scene) rather than the script.

Verhoeven in his prime? Yeah, I'd be curious. Esterhaus? Send the next hack in, please......

#14 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

There's a scene at the beginning of Total Recall and someone is called Dr. Lul. That means in Dutch Dr. Penis!

I don't think anyone of the American studio had noticed this. Hahahaha!

I thought it meant a@@hole?

#15 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:15 PM

If you translate "lul" as "dick" than it can be meaning -freely translated- that, what you said. ;)

Edited by Grard Bond, 15 June 2014 - 11:16 PM.

#16 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:45 AM

Please God no. 

#17 WhatMeWorry?

WhatMeWorry?

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:16 AM

B25 = RoboBond

#18 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:16 AM

Verhoeven at the helm of a Bond movie? Couldn't be worse than Tamahori! Verhoeven is a great director, Soldier of Orange and Zwartboek are excellent WW2 movies and RoboCop, Total Recall and Starship Troopers are all wonderful and intelligent movies is their gory glory. And if it would mean that we'd get Carice van Houten as the Bond Girl I'm all for it!

#19 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

Problem with directors like Verhoeven is that we'd put them in charge of a project like Bond because we want to see it through their unique, established vision, honed via artistic freedom. Then we'd then take away that freedom, apply lots of rules and format points and deny them final cut. Then we'd complain that their effort wasn't up to par.

For this reason it's always best that unique filmmakers stay away from franchises.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 19 July 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#20 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

Does anybody know how the physical condition is of former Bonddirectors Hamilton, Gilbert and Glenn? I loved to see another Bondmovie from them after all those years.

Edited by Grard Bond, 19 July 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#21 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

I can't imagine that Guy Hamilton and Lewis Gilbert would be up for directing a Bond film these days, as both are in their 90s. 

#22 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

Ooh... I didn't realise they are already over ninety years old.

#23 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

Nice sentiment, though. Wouldn't it be lovely if Hamilton and Gilbert could take a dip in the fountain of youth and work their magic one more time  :)

#24 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

Nice sentiment, though. Wouldn't it be lovely if Hamilton and Gilbert could take a dip in the fountain of youth and work their magic one more time   :)

Lewis Gilbert for Bond 25, with Ken Adam's design!

#25 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:26 PM

Esterhaus on the other hand is something who IMHO has a reputation that far, far, outstrips his talent. With the exception of Betrayed, the rest of his work are all variations on the same theme, and ultimately plot-wise, they're TV-movie fodder with swearing and nudity added. While Basic Instinct seems to have a decent reputation, I put that down primarily to the movie's cast (and one single Sharon Stone scene) rather than the script.

Agreed. That said, Veerhoven and Neumeier would be something else...

I also think BASIC INSTINCT's strength other than the cast is Jerry Goldsmith's wonderful score.