12 replies to this topic

#1 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

As well as seeing the screen test, I read Sam Neill say that it was something his agent put him up for and that he really wasn't interested in being Bond. For some reason, he always reminds me of Brosnan.

I think he would have made a great Bond.

#2 The Krynoid man

The Krynoid man

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

I think he would have been a very good Bond villain. His performance in Omen 3 shows that he can be charming and sinister at the same time.

#3 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

He was in the running when Moore retired and eventually went to Dalton. 

#4 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

Shame really, 'cos Neill would have been a bloody fine Bond... if you look past his awkward screen test.

He was in the running when Moore retired and eventually went to Dalton.

And what happened when Neill went to Dalton? :P

#5 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:28 AM

I think he would have been better than Dalton, personally. Perhaps even the best Bond of all, but who knows?

#6 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:51 PM

Glad he never got the job, in my humble opinion he is so unlike any action figure that he could never play a part like 007.

#7 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

Glad he never got the job, in my humble opinion he is so unlike any action figure that he could never play a part like 007.

Are you sure?  I could have sworn there was a  "Jurassic Park" action figure that looked just like him. :-)

#8 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

Are you sure?  I could have sworn there was a  "Jurassic Park" action figure that looked just like him. :-)

I saw the movie and would hardly call his role one of great action, even in nr three he was not one for great action.

I like him a lot as an actor and even liked his WOI spy series Reilly, which was possibly the reason for interest in him, but that was a very different spy and 007 would be the total opposite.

#9 Skylla

Skylla

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

Yeah, right. That´s why there are loads of RM and TD - action figures on the shelfs everywhere.....no way he could have done some of the lameass stand in actionscenes like required in AVTAK performed from 12 stunt guys

#10 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

While Neill doesn't strike one as an action actor foremost, it doesn't mean he couldn't have pulled it off. I think he was one of the most intriguing of the actors we know actually tested. Still, I think Dalton was the best choice.

#11 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:58 PM

While Neill doesn't strike one as an action actor foremost, it doesn't mean he couldn't have pulled it off. I think he was one of the most intriguing of the actors we know actually tested. Still, I think Dalton was the best choice.

For me Brosnan would have been a better choice, but his television bosses decided to shaft him.

#12 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

Neill would have been a fine choice, but he wouldn't have been the best choice at the time.  However the process ultimately unfolded back in 1986-1987, EON ended up casting the right actor for the part.

#13 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:10 AM

I do like Neill as an actor.  But I get the feeling that he is not as good at physical action as he is at delivering psychological tension.  He definitely can be sardonically funny (check out the hilarious black comedy "Death in Brunswick").  But the whole package needed for Bond?  

Dalton was the right choice.  But EON and MGM were competing with the changing zeitgeist at the time and did not have the right recipe for that.  If one considers the "Lethal Weapon"-franchise at that time, combining harder-edged action with comedy, the Bond films were - dare I say it - a bit too much stiffly upper-lipped in comparison.