This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Ideal Bond Directors - POLL ADDED

612 replies to this topic

Poll: The 'ideal' director for Bond 2X

First of all: would you welcome Sam Mendes for BOND 25 - provided the Fed can print enough cash to lure him back?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If not Mendes, which new director would you like for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

Stuart Baird.

While Baird is a highly accomplished Editor, he's yet to really prove himself in the Director's chair. His 3 efforts so far have been workman like at best, lacklustre throughout, despite them having good budgets, good to great writers and some of the best actors on board.

Oh, I disagree with that of course. Baird did two very good action movies with U.S Marshals and Executive Decision. He is very good at creating suspense and that wouldn't hurt for Bond. Just a good old-fashioned action director.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5y58zvXYUpY

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3dyQBOBTmHw

Unfortunately, he may be too old to handle a big project like Bond now. But would have been perfect for one of the Brosnan films.

As for workman like directors, I guess it depends on what you prefer. I am not comfortable with Bond being a playground for famous guest-directors once every third year.

Basically, it comes down to a choice between 1) great films mixed with bloody awful films versus 2) a steady flow of decent films.

#32 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:31 PM

Baird wasn't nominated for Skyfall

Skyfall's nominations were:

-Cinematography - Roger Deakins

-Song - Adele

-Original Score - Thomas Newman

-Sound Editing - Per Hallberg and Karen Baker Landers)

-Sound Mixing - Scott Millan, Greg P. Russell, Stuart Wilson

Well, thanks tdalton for making me feel a little less like i'm throwing mud :)

How they recast Bond, when the time sadly comes, will determine the calibre of director they attract and if they go back to glam over acting chops (i mean the 70s, as i think Brosnan was short changed by bad scripts - the movie The Matador show he really could've done better), then maybe Baird will in with a chance. Until then, as SKYFALL says, they won't be handing over to the editor.  I'd say we've another 2 or 3 from Craig, perhaps with Nolan doing the next two back to back, which would probably suit everyone considering Craig's getting no younger). Then again, maybe not ;)

RE: those Oscar noms, it's so sad how robbed Deakins was - i hope he returns.

ETA: i'm little drunk so i hope that's not gobbledygoop! 

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 11 February 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#33 Dramatic_Scenes_of_QOS

Dramatic_Scenes_of_QOS

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:10 AM

Paul Greengrass. He's overdue.

#34 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

Baird as editor - yes! Baird as director - no thanks! Best if he stick to where his skills lie.

#35 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

Stuart Baird.

While Baird is a highly accomplished Editor, he's yet to really prove himself in the Director's chair. His 3 efforts so far have been workman like at best, lacklustre throughout, despite them having good budgets, good to great writers and some of the best actors on board.

Oh, I disagree with that of course. Baird did two very good action movies with U.S Marshals and Executive Decision. He is very good at creating suspense and that wouldn't hurt for Bond. Just a good old-fashioned action director.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5y58zvXYUpY

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3dyQBOBTmHw

Unfortunately, he may be too old to handle a big project like Bond now. But would have been perfect for one of the Brosnan films.

As for workman like directors, I guess it depends on what you prefer. I am not comfortable with Bond being a playground for famous guest-directors once every third year.

Basically, it comes down to a choice between 1) great films mixed with bloody awful films versus 2) a steady flow of decent films.

US Marshals  when compared to it's predecessor The Fugitive  is a paint by numbers affair.

As for Executive Decision... I saw that when the UK did a 'cinema day', something like £1 to see any movie  - think i crammed in From Dusk Till Dawn and Trainspotting, both great movies in their own right. However, i started the day with Executive Decision.  The audience were so unanimously unimpressed with it that when the projector broke down halfway through and the packed auditorium were told that they couldn't fix it, everyone cheered  (for quite some time). I also cheered.

I have since seen the movie the whole way through and can appreciate the favour the audience were done. I have to add that the audience cheered at another point in the movie, before the projector broke: [SPOILER AHEAD]

...When Steven Seagal  died. I doubt this was meant to elicit cheers from the audience, but it did.

To make my point i'd previously seen Goldeneye  at that same cinema. The pact audience watched as Brosnan caught hold of the crashing plane, climbed in and pulled it out of it's deadly dive in the nick of time in the pre-titles sequence. They cheered elatedly - the PJ breaking in that movie would've caused much unhappiness. 

"1) great films mixed with bloody awful films versus 2) a steady flow of decent films."

That's easy!  I go for option 2 every time. I'l take the bad if it means greatness too - who on earth wants to be mediocre?  Hope for best!

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 12 February 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#36 zantle97

zantle97

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

Paul Verhoeven

Adrian Lyne

Brian DePalma

Martin Scorsese 

What do ya'll think~? =3

#37 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

I think it's pretty much the same list you started an earlier thread with; therefore, merged.

#38 zantle97

zantle97

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

Still, your opinion?

#39 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

I guess it´s still the same.

#40 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

Christopher Nolan! I really want him to make a Craig Bond - Craig suits his sensibilities so well.

Doubt it'll happen though; they'll probably get Mendes to make Bond 25 too.

As for the Paul Greengrass suggestoin... oh, God, no!

#41 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

If Nolan doesn't do a Craig movie, i can see him possibly being tagged to intro Bond 7.

If so, he had Tom Hardy present a very Bond-esque character in Inception (at least in terms of manor and accent) so perhaps that's a taster of what's to come. 

#42 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

McTiernan.

He is out of jail now, isn't he ?

And I like te Baird idea.

Having directed the best Steven Seagal film is clearly an asset ;-)

#43 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

What about that Gareth Evans fellow? The Raid was STUNNING and The Raid 2 is my number one MUST SEE film of 2014. He would DELIVER. With KNOBS ON. 

#44 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

Duncan Jones would be interesting.

#45 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

Duncan Jones would be interesting.

Funny you mention that - I think I read somewhere that he might be doing a film about Ian Fleming... 

#46 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:21 AM

SAM MENDES - I think Mendes pretty much has the remaining Craig films under lock and key for himself if he likes.

CHRISTOPER NOLAN - I love to see Nolan's name on here. Nolan is still young too, in his 40's. So lots of time for him to enter the picture. 

DUNCAN JONES - Moon was very entertaining and Source Code was alright. Let's see how Warcraft (2016) works out

JON FAVREAU - I know not the best choice but not the worst either IMO. I wouldn't be disappointed if he was chosen for Bond 25.

PAUL GREENGRASS - I'm not to sure about. I don't really care for much of his films. Even the Bourne one's all that much. 

DAVID FINCHER - Dammit direct The Girl Who Played With Fire.......

#47 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:44 AM

SAM MENDES - I think Mendes pretty much has the remaining Craig films under lock and key for himself if he likes.

CHRISTOPER NOLAN - I love to see Nolan's name on here. Nolan is still young too, in his 40's. So lots of time for him to enter the picture. 

DUNCAN JONES - Moon was very entertaining and Source Code was alright. Let's see how Warcraft (2016) works out

JON FAVREAU - I know not the best choice but not the worst either IMO. I wouldn't be disappointed if he was chosen for Bond 25.

PAUL GREENGRASS - I'm not to sure about. I don't really care for much of his films. Even the Bourne one's all that much. 

DAVID FINCHER - Dammit direct The Girl Who Played With Fire.......

Fincher is, and will continue to be, my first choice to direct any future Bond film.  Aside from Fincher, Ben Affleck would also be one that I'd love to see have a crack at a Bond film.

As for the other names on the list (Mendes excluded), I'm not in favor of them directing Bond. 

#48 DrShatterhand

DrShatterhand

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

The original set of names are unbelievably bad. Most of these guys haven't made a decent film in years (Scorcese apart).

For a more up to date selection the best man for the job would be Matthew Vaughan. He directed the best Bond sequence in the last two years (Skyfall included) with Michael Fassbender hunting down Nazis in XMen First Class. And he's British. Unfortunately he's currently directing a Bond like film at the moment, comic book adaptation The Secret Service so looks like EON have missed the boat on him.

Other than that couldn't go wrong with Nolan...he already remade OHMSS at the end of Inception :P

#49 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:51 PM

What about that Gareth Evans fellow? The Raid was STUNNING and The Raid 2 is my number one MUST SEE film of 2014. He would DELIVER. With KNOBS ON. 

Doh, that's who I was referring to on my original choices way back on Post #10. I clearly got my Gareth's muddled (Gareth Evans did the Raid movies, Gareth Edwards did Monsters + new Godzilla reboot). Come to think of it - Edwards wouldn't be a bad choice either. Mr Evan's is sickeningly talented at staging *epic* action.

#50 zantle97

zantle97

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

Imagine for a sec' a Martin Scorsese directed Bond... Who else wants to see this!? :D

#51 zantle97

zantle97

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

A Martin Scorsese directed Bond... Who else wants to see this!? :D

#52 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:07 AM

Being a Martin Campbell fan, I wouldn't say no to him coming back a third time... maybe for the first film of Craig's replacement.

#53 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

A Martin Scorsese directed Bond... Who else wants to see this!? :D

I think Eon have the same issues giving Scorsese the reigns as they do Tarantino. They're both too iconoclastic with very unique styles. Once hired Bond would be out of Eon's control until final cut was completed and it'd doubtless be something quite different to what we're used to.

It might be a fantastic Bond film, perhaps the best ever, but where do Eon go from there?  They're damned if they return to the regular format and style/tone which would seem bland after Scorsese or Tarantino and they're damned if they keep taking chances with visionaries, since before long the format would've mutated beyond recognition.

A shame because Wolf of Wall Street showed that there's still plenty of fire in the boiler.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 25 August 2014 - 08:36 AM.

#54 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:05 AM

How about Anthony and Joe Russo from Captain America: The Winter Soldier?  I thought the action sequences were done extraordinarily well in that film. 

#55 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:43 PM

Duncan Jones (could be one of the greats)

Morten Tyldum (they're already thinking it)

Patrick Hughes (because why the hell not?)

#56 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

Duncan Jones (could be one of the greats)

Morten Tyldum (they're already thinking it)

Patrick Hughes (because why the hell not?)

Great choices!

Jones will be busy until the behemoth Warcraft is complete. But if it's good, he's top of everyones 'must have' list and Eon will find him difficult to snag, if bad Eon won't want him. Be great if he roped in his dad to do the tune.

Tydium showed huge talent with Headhunters and The Imitation Game is already garnering Oscar talk.

Hughes, well i haven't seen the latest Expendables, but as shallow as it may inevitably be it no doubt flexes his action director muscles and i thought his low budget, slow cooking action thriller Red Hill was stunning - highly overlooked because it's an Aussie film.

But, Hughes is in the same catch 22 scenario as Jones: He's doing the Americanised The Raid now. The original is without doubt a classic (it's sequel is one of the best action movies i've EVER seen). He gets that right - he's too pricey for Eon, gets it wrong, then he looks as incompetent and Spike Lee who made a total mess of Old Boy.

Of course if Hughes or Jones have a craving to do Bond there's probably a deal to be done, but if they can take it or leave, then it's probably leave it.

Just my thoughts - could be total BS :)

#57 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:28 AM

Matthew Vaughn jumps immediately to mind. 

Kenneth Branagh would also be an interesting choice. Just because I'd love to see him in a Bond film, as well! 

#58 GalaSilva

GalaSilva

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

Could Guy Ritchie pull it off following his work on Sherlock Holmes and next years' Man from UNCLE?

#59 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

Kenneth Branagh would also be an interesting choice. Just because I'd love to see him in a Bond film, as well! 

I'd love a Branagh-directed Bond film with him as the villain. I love his style from the Sleuth remake and think that would be perfect for 007.

#60 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:57 PM

Tydium showed huge talent with Headhunters and The Imitation Game is already garnering Oscar talk.

I only just watched the trailer for The Imitation Game, not only does it look f'n good but the first scene in it screams of Skyfall.