#1 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

http://www.ign.com/a...down-james-bond

I'm sure this isn't exactly breaking news, but I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on how Goldeneye and the subsequent films would've turned out had Liam Neeson agreed to play Bond in lieu of Pierce Brosnan.

#2 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

Great actor, totally slumming it these days in routine action thrillers.  Could have been an interesting Bond - but at least at that time he would not have had the box office appeal as Pierce Brosnan.

Let´s face it, Brosnan brought in a huge part of the female audience which had left during the Moore and Dalton years.

#3 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

It's an absolute shame that he had to turn down the role.  He would have been fantastic, far better than Brosnan. 

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

I always find it fascinating when years after the fact a lot of actors talk about being a serious contender or turning down the role, etc. This article in particular sounds a lot like Adam West and Burt Reynolds being serious contenders back in the post-Connery days. It's one thing to know something solid like John Gavin was signed for DAF before Connery was lured back or Brosnan was signed for TLD until Remington Steele was renewed.

Neeson, on the other hand, said "heavily courted just as other actors were." That seems far from having signed on the dotted line. Besides Brosnan, it seemed the favored actor at the time from the general public and the mainstream press was Mel Gibson. "Heavily courted" seems more appropriate for somebody like Sam Neill, whose screen test we've actually seen and who was apparently almost signed until Cubby objected.

While it sounds good, the Neeson story sounds a little too good. Marry or be Bond. I just really have my doubts anybody but Brosnan was a back-up plan back in the 6-year hiatus.

Neeson is a fine actor, but one I've never been much of a fan of, so I can honestly say although I'm not a huge Brosnan supporter that he was the better choice for Bond. Neeson just doesn't seem like he could carry the Bond charisma, too tall and nothing really defining.. That's just my feeling.

#5 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

I thought Mel Gibson was suggested by one of the MGM honchos when Moore left - and Cubby did not like the idea at all since Gibson only wanted to do one film (and was too short for Cubby´s taste).

If Neeson was considered for Bond - would it have been before or after "Schindler´s List"?  It must have been around that time, I guess.  And that explains why his wife could have said: You´re kidding?  You´re about to be celebrated as a serious actor in important films.  Now you want to ruin that by starring in a franchise that has run its course?

#6 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

I think it was after. Unless I'm mistaken (and I could just look it up, but don't care enough to) Schindler's List came out in 1993. So, Bond would be after that. Having said that, I think Neeson would have made a fine Bond, but I think it would've been the wrong cast move at the time. It seems to me, that he would've been similar to Dalton in the role. While I like Dalton and his take on the character very much (his awful haircut in LTK notwithstanding), it would have been a bad idea as Dalton didn't really click with the audience and Brosnan's was a fresher, lighter take on the role. Which helped rejuvenate the franchise after its 6 year hiatus.

#7 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

I believe this was in 1993, when Timothy Dalton was still in the frame to return, and that it was MGM/UA who approached Liam Neeson, rather than Eon.

Considering Natasha Richardson was effectively Dalton's stepdaughter, it's hardly surprising she told Neeson to turn it down.

#8 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

Despite the fact he has "a certain number of skills" as an actor, I never really pictured him as Bond material.

#9 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

I believe this was in 1993, when Timothy Dalton was still in the frame to return, and that it was MGM/UA who approached Liam Neeson, rather than Eon.

Considering Natasha Richardson was effectively Dalton's stepdaughter, it's hardly surprising she told Neeson to turn it down.

Didn´t know that!  A fact that clears everything up.  Thanks!

#10 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

Despite the fact he has "a certain number of skills" as an actor, I never really pictured him as Bond material.

I never really pictured him as Bond. That said, he would make one helluva villain.....Blofeld perhaps?

#11 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:14 AM

Gibson's name was always thrown around in '94-95 as the counterweight to Brozza. I don't think anyone really knows how far the interest went.

As for Neeson, I do remember his name surfacing around '97 when Sony/McClory were running it up the proverbial flagpole that they were thinking about launching a second Bond franchise.

#12 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

I remember the rumor back then, and didn't think he should be cast as Bond.  Though I do like him as an actor.

Besides, isn't part of this to plug his latest movie?  "Bond on a Plane"... now off to the "add a word, ruin a movie" thread!

#13 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

Er, no she wasn't. Her mother's occasional boyfriend, does not make him a step-father. Moreover you imply that NR acted out of loyalty to Dalton. And how do we know he/she weren't joking about the "play Bond and I won't marry you."

While it sounds good, the Neeson story sounds a little too good. Marry or be Bond. I just really have my doubts anybody but Brosnan was a back-up plan back in the 6-year hiatus.

Agreed! We all know Calley wanted PB and we know EON wanted to stick by TD.

Neeson just doesn't seem like he could carry the Bond charisma, too tall and nothing really defining.

Yep. Not sure if he would have been better or worse than Dalton.

#14 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

Er, no she wasn't. Her mother's occasional boyfriend, does not make him a step-father.

Note the word "effectively".

And Dalton is, to this day, considered by the Redgraves to be a member of their family.

#15 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

Er, no she wasn't. Her mother's occasional boyfriend, does not make him a step-father.

Note the word "effectively".

And Dalton is, to this day, considered by the Redgraves to be a member of their family.

I did note the word "effectively". And I still say you're wrong. By that standard she had many step-fathers. Franco Nero, for starters. Do we know that Dalton and the Redgraves lived together as a family unit?

And the source for your claim that Dalton is considered a family member to this day is...?

#16 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

Well he certainly would've been an intriguing choice for the role, perhaps similar to Dalton as others have said in this thread. Pierce was the right man for the job for sure, but I think Neeson could actually do a competent work too.