#1 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

James Bond, The Spy Who Loved Me.

I find this to be quite a zippy read which had some interesting deviations from the film. Perhaps this was based on an early draft of Wood's screenplay? (perhaps accounting for the absence of General Gogol?) Anyway - it was an interesting experience. Refreshingly the depiction of Our Man in this adaptation was more the way Fleming wrote the character in his original books - and less like Roger Moore was portraying him in the films at that time. I enjoyed the references to Smersh and found it an interesting idea that Amasova works for them - rather than the KGB as opposed to the movie. Also, her reminding Our Man of Tracy was a nice touch - and expands a little on the mention of her in the movie. 

This is actually well worth tracking down if you can. I got a battered pre-loved copy of it from Amazon for a penny. It was falling apart as I read it! Still, I'm glad I did. Christopher Wood actually in my opinion does a pretty good job of replicating Ian Fleming's style. I was also surprised by the grisly beginning and far more low key ending. 

Good stuff. Pleasantly surprised and actually, a little impressed. Be interesting to see how Christopher Wood takes Our Man into space! 

Edited by ChickenStu, 09 March 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#2 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:32 AM

Since you haven't read JBAMR yet, I'll only say:

Second novelizations by the same author are never as well-written as the first.

Same goes for John Gardner and Raymond Benson.

#3 billy007

billy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:11 AM

I strongly agree.

But C. Wood did do a good job explaining how 007 gets his PPK through customs.

Good descriptions and you can visualize Fleming's 007 instead of Sir Roger.

#4 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

James Bond and Moonraker

Didn't like this one as much I'm sorry to say. Just seemed to too closely follow the film. To be expected I suppose but it was the little narrative diversions that made Wood's previous one of interest. There really just was nothing new to see here. Don't really have much else to say on the matter really...