59 replies to this topic

#31 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

I suppose the next Bond 24 announcement will be who is replacing him then? 

#32 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

I would be very happy if Roberto Schaefer returned. The photography for QOS was absolutely stunning (that is, when you could actually perceive it - thanks to the horrible editing).

My thoughts exactly.

#33 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

Apparently, in the past, Sam Mendes has expressed an interest in working with Emmanuel Lubezki and Robert Richardson.

I find this really interesting, i wouldn't be surprises if one of them has already been approached. They will be looking for a conspicuously talented cinematographer with an awards profile to replace Deakins, either would fit the bill.  

#34 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

I think another cinematographer will help to make BOND 24 really different from SKYFALL.

LetĀ“s face it:  Deakins mainly shoots bleached out images, toned down, darker shades.  Which is absolutely great and beautiful.  Make no mistake: I love DeakinsĀ“ work.

But I would welcome a brighter Bond film, with lots of color and dynamic movement.

#35 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

While not surprised, I was disappointed when Deakins did not win an Oscar on Sunday.

#36 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

While not surprised, I was disappointed when Deakins did not win an Oscar on Sunday.

It was a tough race this year. Personally I think Deakins' work on Prisoners was better than on SkyFall. However, the Oscar deserved to go to Emmanuel Lubezki for Gravity or Sean Bobbitt for 12 Years (and he wasn't even nominated!).

I'm looking forward to when Deakins finally wins.... Maybe he should take a five year break to remind the Academy what they've neglected...

#37 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

Deakins obviously does not have too many friends in the Academy.  They only respect him but they do not love him.  Therefore he gets nominated but will not win.  Many people like him have experienced the same.

And most, probably like him, do not care.

#38 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:17 AM

Apparently, in the past, Sam Mendes has expressed an interest in working with Emmanuel Lubezki and Robert Richardson.

I find this really interesting, i wouldn't be surprises if one of them has already been approached. They will be looking for a conspicuously talented cinematographer with an awards profile to replace Deakins, either would fit the bill.  

The premium of Emmanuel Lubezki will certainly be high after his GRAVITY Oscar, so would be a great coup. Robert Richardson shot HUGO, so perhaps John Logan could put in a good word...

Shame to see Deakins go though. Hopefully he'll eventually get that elusive Oscar.

#39 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

Deakins obviously does not have too many friends in the Academy.  They only respect him but they do not love him.  Therefore he gets nominated but will not win.  Many people like him have experienced the same.

And most, probably like him, do not care.

I don't think that's it.  The Academy doesn't tend to be sentimental when it comes to the technical categories.  In the Cinematography category, they tend to vote for the "prettiest" or most colorful film.  The AMPAS as a whole, as opposed to just that particular branch, votes on the winners, so basically they go for "most flashy" cinematography when it may not be really the "best".

It was a tough race this year. Personally I think Deakins' work on Prisoners was better than on SkyFall. However, the Oscar deserved to go to Emmanuel Lubezki for Gravity or Sean Bobbitt for 12 Years (and he wasn't even nominated!).

I'm looking forward to when Deakins finally wins.... Maybe he should take a five year break to remind the Academy what they've neglected...

I also wish Bobbitt had been up for it.  He was nominated for everything else.  He has no upcoming projects in preproduction, and so may prove to be available if asked.  He is Steve McQueen's go-to guy, though, so if McQueen puts his next film together quickly, say goodbye to that idea.

Richardson I think has THREE Oscars.  Lubezki's win Sunday was his first.  Either would be good, though I think I would prefer the former.  He doesn't appear to have any upcoming projects booked, and he certainly deploys a colorful palette (someone earlier mentioned wanting to see a more colorful film next time out), so this may turn out to be a very well-founded guess.

Another name I'd personally like to throw out there is Oscar-winner and one-time Bond cinematographer Robert Elswit, who is usually Paul Thomas Anderson's cinematographer of choice.  Elswit is currently booked to do MI:5, which comes out around the same time as Bond 24 (last quarter 2015), so assuming it will be shooting around the same time, Elswit would be unavailable.

Dave

Edited by rubixcub, 06 March 2014 - 10:25 PM.

#40 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:40 AM

Personally I would have given the Oscar to Phedon Papamichael for Nebraska. I loved the B&W photography of that film.

#41 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

No cinematographers throwing their names out yet???

#42 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

They are not that publicity-hungry.

#43 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

I like the idea of Emmanuel Lubezki because he replaced Deakins for the Coen brothers as well, but that's just fun trivia. Maybe they can pick someone lesser known so they can have a sort of in house guy.

#44 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

You know, I'd like Steve Yedlin to have a go at a Craig Bond. His work on Looper was grittily gorgeous.

And he's not officially tied to anything after his current film stops shooting this summer...

Edited by RMc, 28 March 2014 - 10:10 AM.

#45 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

I'm sure their styles don't match (though it can), but I've been watching many of David Fincher's films lately, and I've been thinking about Jeff Cronenweth doing Bond 24. Unless Fincher and Sorkin do their Steve Jobs biopic and it comes out in 2015 which I see Cronenweth shooting, He is a top choice for me.

On a side note, I'm not surprised at the talk about Lubezki, though I'm not going to put out my two cents.

Personally I would have given the Oscar to Phedon Papamichael for Nebraska. I loved the B&W photography of that film.

Hear Hear!

#46 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

Watched the stunning HER last week. Would be great to see Hoyte van Hoytema get a shot. Looking forward to seeing his work on INTERSTELLAR.

#47 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:17 AM

The premium of Emmanuel Lubezki will certainly be high after his GRAVITY Oscar, so would be a great coup. Robert Richardson shot HUGO, so perhaps John Logan could put in a good word...

Logan & Richardson also worked on Scorsese's "The Aviator", so their paths have likely crossed more than a few times.  Luezki's next project, "The Devil's Teeth", has been announced but has no known production start date; Richardson's next project has not been announced.  I think I'd put my money on the latter.

I just bought the DVD of "Hugo" and have watched it twice since, and the more I think about it, the more excited I would be at the prospect of a Richardson-lensed Bond film.  He's shot plenty of action as Tarantino's go-to guy (both "Kill Bill" volumes and "Django Unchained"), and with both "The Aviator" and "Hugo", his work has a cultured elegance to it, which is certainly welcome in the Bond universe.

Dave

#48 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

Richardson..... He's shot plenty of action as Tarantino's go-to guy (both "Kill Bill" volumes and "Django Unchained"), and with both "The Aviator" and "Hugo", his work has a cultured elegance to it, which is certainly welcome in the Bond universe.

I think Robert Richardson could be the right man - his work on the Kill Bill movies was absolutely stunning...

His collaborations with Tarantino show a rare talent for making action look beautiful, rather than confusing, which is often the case. Speaking of which, however, he just worked with Marc Forster on the troubled World War Z shoot and i'm sure Forster would've told him all about his time on QoS. So depending on how happy Forster was with that experience he could've either enticed Richardson, or put him off the idea completely.

But with Richardson's schedule [probably] empty with Tarantino's decision not to shoot The Hateful Eight (because the unfinished script was leaked) i'd say that he might just be open the offer of Bond 24. So for now Richardson is IMO the best and likeliest candidate.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 28 April 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#49 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

Watched the stunning HER last week. Would be great to see Hoyte van Hoytema get a shot. Looking forward to seeing his work on INTERSTELLAR.

You may have hit the nail right on the head there, Vauxhall, if what I've just heard turns out to be true. 

#50 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

You may have hit the nail right on the head there, Vauxhall, if what I've just heard turns out to be true. 

Well, now you got me very curious!

#51 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

Well, now you got me very curious!

Her has stunning cinematography!

#52 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

I really have to see that film.

#53 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:20 PM

If they Deakins isn't coming back, I at least hope they bring back David Arnold. It was a bit messed up for the news to say he was't available since he was working on the music for the 2012 Olympic Games only to find out that the real reason was because Mendes wanted Thomas Newman to do the music. I'm sure Arnold would have had no problem coming back to do the music for Skyfall. Perhaps Mendes promised Newman to do the music for Skyfall if ever he were to direct a Bond film. Don't get me wrong, Newman did a great job, but I just hope we have David Arnold again.

#54 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:36 AM

Richardson..... He's shot plenty of action as Tarantino's go-to guy (both "Kill Bill" volumes and "Django Unchained"), and with both "The Aviator" and "Hugo", his work has a cultured elegance to it, which is certainly welcome in the Bond universe.

I think Robert Richardson could be the right man - his work on the Kill Bill movies was absolutely stunning...

Not to mention his utterly breathtaking work with Oliver Stone.

jfk8.jpg

6.jpg

Born+on+the+Fourth+of+July.JPG

#55 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:59 AM

Robert Richardson would be a great choice and would bring a unique look to the film.

#56 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

Well, now Tarantino IS going to shoot "The Hateful Eight", and apparently starting this November.  So unless Tarantino goes with someone else, Richardson's out.

Dave

#57 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

A really late reply from me this time, but... Very very curious!

:)

#58 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

I have the oddest feeling Hoyte van Hoytema might be shooting Risico.

#59 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

Risico?? Have there been hints to the title of Bond 24, ACE? :)

#60 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:14 PM

Well, well, well, kudos to Vauxhall, Shrublands and ACE. Let's see how well ACE's clairvoyance holds up on the title...