3 replies to this topic

#1 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:45 AM

I just realized this movie has kind of revolutionary camera movements, things which i cannot really recall from earlier movies. Dr. No seems sort of standard but in FRWL it becomes a bit wild. 

-They have a zoom shot that populated every movie of the late 60s, right when bond and co get on the train, it then zooms in on Grant behind a window also on the train. I have not really seen a zoom shot for any movie prior to 1963. 

-Basically much of the train fight, which has been repeated tons here, looks more articulate than many fist fights of the successive eras. The fists are coming from the camera's POV at times, the camera's POV is also fighting Grant and Bond when you the viewer are in their shoes. Even the 70s martial arts boom tended to portray fights in real clarity with cameras in "theatrical stationary" positions, before it became more fashionable all the way up until the 1990s to make it cut up and with various angles, close ups. The more you think about it i think it came because of circumstance probably, they though "hey we don't have much of a finale, no villain lairs, but a fist fight. Let's just try to make it as exciting as possible, and what the heck throw in a helicopter/boat chase".

-During the helicopter chase there is a continuous shot of Bond as he is running toward the camera faroff, then nears it, then just edges within a foot of the camera while it swings 180 degrees and continues following his backside. Neven seen anything like that either. 

Goldfinger is king of close ups though, but for movements FRWL has it.

#2 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for giving me a reason to watch this classic again. I'm always looking for fresh ways to approach these films I've  known by heart for years.

In thinking about it, there's a real feel of Cold War paranoia in knowing Bond is being watched practically the whole film. There's also the exotic feel of Europe as an American I can still appreciate. I still want to take a train trip since I missed the whole golden era of train travel that looks romantic and fun in films like this and A Hard Day's Night.

I'll also throw in Terence Young's precredit tribute to Last Year at Marienbad, a film I saw as a film student and didn't get at the time, but now have more appreciation for.

#3 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

the movie is full of amazing shots yes, for example the chess game sequence is amazingly shot. Another one is when Bond and Kerim Bey go to the catacombs to spy on the russian embassy. Is almost exactly like an Orson Welles shot.

#4 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

I really, really agree.  The chase scenes are terrific.