Which of the Bonds enjoyed the role?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Universal Exports

Universal Exports

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

I can't remember specifically where I read it, but I recall reading somewhere that Roger Moore was the only Bond that actually enjoyed being Bond.  

#2 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

Based on their public persona, that would seem true. Sir Rog has always been a great ambassador for the series and is self-depreciating about his success and time as Bond.

I would say that Brozza fully embraced being Bond. But again, as we only have actor's public demeanour to make judgments by, it is very much a guessing game.

Laz lobbied hard to be Bond, only to push away from it. TD was always very serious in his public interviews - did that mean he didn't enjoy the job? Who knows.

DC is uncomfortable on the press junket and the interview circuit, yet he clearly works hard on his "off-time" to bring success to the series.

#3 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

Probably depends how you define 'enjoying' the role. There is little doubt James Bond is a dream part for many actors. But as time has shown it's also a terribly demanding part that can easily turn into a nightmare. One has to have a stable personality and the right sense of humour to get the most from a role that is also to a large part tough work and enduring a public interest that goes often beyond the call of duty. Moore apparently is a character who was best fitted to the demands of his part back in the day. Doesn't mean latter Bonds didn't have their own great days, times simply have changed since then.

#4 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

I am certain that Seanery enjoyed the part at first, but started to sour around Goldfinger/Thunderball. Sir Rog must have liked it most of the time. Dalton,not sure. Brozza most certainly, otherwise he would have not thrown a hissyfit when he wasn't asked back. Daniel seems to care a lot about Bond, both the character and the franchise, but probably knows when it's time to get out. 

#5 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

Brosnan and the rest of the cast and crew seemed to have had a fraught time on Tomorrow Never Dies, but otherwise heseemed quite content. When he was interviewed on promoting Goldeneye, he insisted that he was only doing his contractual 3 films and was then getting out, so for him to do a 4th, it can't have been that bad a gig

Connery seems to have lost patience after Goldfinger