#1 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

Plagarism, homage or coincidence?

Adam Faith: Poor Me - by John Barry -  Very clear in this one.

The Living Tree -  Shirley Bassey -  At 1:04 - 1:09, pretty clear

Everybody's been burned - The Byrds - Since the beginning, it accompanies the songs.

Dum Di Di Dum Dum - Monty Norman - This one is very subtle, if you listen to the piano at 0:09 - 0:13 you'll recognize it.

If I wanted you - Monty Norman - The song is at the bottom of the list. It's pretty clear.

Quanto una stella muore - Giorgia - The piano at the beginning.

Spiral Mountain - Grant Kirkhope

Music from Monty Python movie - The music at 0:21 clearly sounds like TJB theme vamp.

Do you know others?

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

I'm absolutely worthless with that kind of musical spot-the-reference. Would Robbie Williams' MILLENIUM also fit the bill?

#3 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

Also:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=K0lH8OM8gmI Nightmare by Artie Shaw

#4 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

Nightmare predates Dum Di Di Dum Dum.

The 'Hell's Grannies' piece also appears in the "Pantomime Horse is a Secret Agent" sketch (In the TV version of Hell' Grannies they used an instrumental of the theme from Thunderball).

Although "Summer Wine" (Nancy Sinatra), doesn't have the vamp, it does repeat four notes of the brass fanfare, starting at 2:36.

#5 mr.kidd

mr.kidd

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

I've always like this opening to the Beatles Help by George Martin

#6 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

Dum Di Di Dum Dum - Monty Norman - This one is very subtle, if you listen to the piano at 0:09 - 0:13 you'll recognize it.

"Dum Di Di Dum Dum" is Monty Normans own version of how the theme was created. Yes, he is pathetic. Don't get me started.

Artie Shaw's "Nightmare" (1938) is the first time the beat pops up, and Barry said that he borrowed that for many of his compositions.

#7 K.O.P.

K.O.P.

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

Artie Shaw's "Nightmare" (1938) is the first time the beat pops up, and Barry said that he borrowed that for many of his compositions.

Not the first. Sibelius used it in Cassazione (1904), and there may be even earlier instances:

http://www.therestis...n-sibelius.html

#8 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

https://www.youtube....y5OY&feature=kp

#9 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

Not the first. Sibelius used it in Cassazione (1904), and there may be even earlier instances:

http://www.therestis...n-sibelius.html

Excellent research! Many thanks.

#10 Matt Monro

Matt Monro

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:26 PM

I've always like this opening to the Beatles Help by George Martin

Nothing to do with George Martin.  It's a piece of the incidental score by Ken Thorne.  As anyone who'd actually seen the movie would know.

Um..."Secret Agent Man" by Johnny Rivers?  Really?  No one else came up with this?  Really?

#11 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

I just heard a piano instrumental of the theme from Love Story that included that vamp. It made it sound so much more doom-fraught than it already is.

#12 willdj

willdj

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

Lana Del Rey- Shades Of Cool

pretty much a Bond theme

#13 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

The overture of After the Fox uses the Bond theme as well.

#14 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:06 PM

Also this.

http://www.youtube.c...x=19&playnext=1

#15 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

Lost and Found by Gabin Feat Mia Cooper

Soldier Of Love Sade

Yesterday Once More The Carpenters (certain parts sounds like TWINE theme)

Pavane pour une infante défunte - Lent (sounds likeMr kiss kiss bang bang/ experience of loving )

#16 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:59 AM

First, I'd mention the theme for the second Austin Powers movie, about Dr Evil, which is clearly a spoof of 60s Bond themes, Goldfinger in particular. Which then segues into the outer space opening scene, the background score to this being a pastiche of John Barry's "Space March" from YOLT.

Secondly, since Monty Python's already been mentioned above, anyone recall the song "Brian" from "The Life Of Brian", which again sounds like a spoof of 60s Bond themes - right down to the Goldfinger/Thunderball style opening.

Third, more serious stuff - I had for Christmas the Network issued soundtrack music from "The Saint", and on disc two there's the theme from the late 1960s Saint movie - actually a two part Saint story "The Fiction Makers", bolted together, which sound very much as if it was inspired by Bond. The storyline is about a gang of criminals who base themselves on a SPECTRE-like organisation called "SWORD" taken from a series of Bond-like novels.

I have always believed that the Saint composer Edwin Astley could have done a decent job on the 1960s Bond films if for some reason John Barry had been unavailable - save, of course that Astley was himself very busy at the time scoring a lot of British TV spy and crime adventure shows.

#17 Ozzel

Ozzel

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:27 PM

Michael Bublé's recording of "Georgia on My Mind" uses it at the very beginning.

#18 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:09 PM

"Stay Alive" from the new hit Broadway musical 'Hamilton' has the chord progression at the beginning of it.

It's in one or two of the other tracks, as well, if I remember correctly.

#19 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:40 PM

The High Llamas use it in "Sparkle Up" from their 1996 Album "Hawaii" (at 0:43):

#20 HoneyDiamond

HoneyDiamond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:55 PM

Really interesting thread!  I tend to think more ripoff than homage or coincidence.  Not that I'm complaining.  :P

#21 # 11

# 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:41 PM

So, here's a song from a quite famous Swiss children music band:  :P

Not exactly the vamp is referenced, but surely the riff!

Btw, the title of the band is an expression like «for god's sake!» while the song is called «story of the 10m diving board». Have fun with the Swiss German.  :D

#22 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:20 PM

How about something that uses the Bond vamp and hints at the "be-bop" portion of the Bond theme?

Dmitri Shostakovich's 4th symphony. Written in 1935-1936, then suppressed. Shostakovich feared how the Soviet authorities would react. He didn't release it until 1961.

The final minutes of the third movement sound Bondish. I don't think these are a coincidence. John Barry was a big Shostakovich fan. So when he co-wrote & arranged the Bond theme this symphony would have been fresh in his mind.

I've cued it to 21:52 https://youtu.be/kIgKJ33I0x0?t=21m52s

That's not all. This symphony's first movement has one cue that sonds like early JB (Bond and Barry). I'm sure I've heard this bit in one of the early Connery Bond films but can't place where. Anybody know?

I've cued it to 24:45 https://youtu.be/_cU3s1xO9O8?t=24m45s

Go on. Give them a listen. You'll thank me.

#23 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:59 AM

That's not all. This symphony's first movement has one cue that sonds like early JB (Bond and Barry). I'm sure I've heard this bit in one of the early Connery Bond films but can't place where. Anybody know?

I've cued it to 24:45 https://youtu.be/_cU3s1xO9O8?t=24m45s

Go on. Give them a listen. You'll thank me.

At the beginning, it could be the Gumboldt scene from OHMSS. As it continues, it could be GF, but I can't place it. Maybe the Laser scene at Fort Knox or the OddJobb fight.

#24 Colombo

Colombo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:45 AM

Well the Bond Vamp immediately sprang to mind the the first time i heard "Is there anybody out there?" off Pink Floyd's 1979 opus 'The Wall'

Guitar arpeggios on A Minor starting at 1:24...