This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Is there a CBn forum etiquette of posting in old threads?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan Cape

Jonathan Cape

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

Hi all,

As a newbie on here I thought it best to ask if there is objections to posting in old threads. 

I don't mean a hard and fast rule necessarily, but an unspoken one if you like.

Some forums don't like it if you wake up old threads again or the members don't.

So, we all okay on it or is it a "We'd rather you didn't" kinda thing?

Cheers.

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Depends whether you have something relevant, valuable or otherwise interesting to contribute to a topic. No hard rule as such involved, more an individual consideration depending on topic, relevance and actuality of what one wants to add. Repeating something a hundred others have already pointed out (or debunked) is not really interesting, bringing up a new angle or information previously not known on the other hand can be of interest. In general it's worth taking a look at a topic and asking oneself if there is a reason it came to a halt.

Usually there is.

Edited by Dustin, 20 October 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#3 Jonathan Cape

Jonathan Cape

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for that Dustin, but I'd apply what you've said to any topic, new, old or otherwise regarding a reason to post in it.

The only reason I can think of why a topic comes to a halt is because the posters posting at the time had nothing more to add. 

Also for your other points - yes, I 100% agree and see where you're coming from.

(I think I passed on the basis of posting in an old thread when applying your means test lol)

Thanks again for your input.