Missing Actors who've played Bond

4 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan Cape

Jonathan Cape

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

Toby Stevens and Michael Jayston are actors missing from most lists who've played Bond when they did so for the BBC who officially adapted four of the Fleming novels for broadcast.

In 1990, You Only Live Twice was adapted into a 90 minute radio play for BBC Radio 4 with Michael Jayston playing James Bond. The production was repeated a number of times between 2008 and 2011.
On 24 May 2008, BBC Radio 4 broadcast an adaptation of Dr. No. Actor Toby Stephens, who played Bond villain Gustav Graves in the Eon Productions version of Die Another Day, played James Bond, while Dr. No was played by David Suchet.
Following the success of Dr. No, a second Bond story was adapted and on 3 April 2010, BBC Radio 4 broadcast Goldfinger with Toby Stephens again playing Bond. Sir Ian McKellen was Goldfinger and Stephens' Die Another Day co-star Rosamund Pike played Pussy Galore. The play was adapted from Fleming's novel by Archie Scottney and was directed by Martin Jarvis.
In 2012, the novel From Russia, with Love was dramatized for Radio 4, it featured a full cast starring Toby Stephens as James Bond.

Did anyone on here ever hear these broadcasts or recordings of?

Are they even available?

#2 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

If you're including radio plays, why not include talking books?

That would add Ian Ogilvy, Anthony Valentine, Roger Blake, Rufus Sewell and a host of others to the pantheon (including Samantha Bond).

The above actors not only played Bond, but every other role in the stories as well.

Or are you only counting dramatic presentations without narration?

#3 Jonathan Cape

Jonathan Cape

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

I'm counting what countless lists count and that is public radio broadcasts - hence they all include the 1956 Bob Holness South African radio broadcast of Moonraker.

I've never seen a list with audio books. I guess there's nothing too wrong in that except you'd have to include me as playing Bond when I was very young as I talked out loud when reading lol

#4 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

I don't know how to link, so go to "Forums: General Literature Discussion: The James Bond Audio Master List" for an ever-growing list of recorded books and their actors. There you can see how much I left out.

#5 Jonathan Cape

Jonathan Cape

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

But I think the audio books should be left out of the lists normally - only because they always have been.

Consistency is key.

The Bob Holness radio broadcast where he played Bond is included in the lists you see around so I'm suggesting that the other actors who've played Bond in radio broadcasts should be included.