#1 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

...song.

Was having this discussion with my wife earlier. Here are a few bands who I think could have done one.

1. Fleetwood Mac (although they're still in such rude health they probably still could)

2. The Eurythmics (would've been PERFECT)

3. Toto (there was a very brief period when they were absolutely massive! Surprised Eon didn't strike while the iron was hot)

4. Michael Jackson (seems to be the one glaring omission from his career)

5. Madonna (yeah OK, I know she did eventually do one but I'm still surprised it wasn't done much earlier)

6. Spandau Ballet (if Duran Duran and A-ha could do one...)

7. Bananarama (although having such a silly name probably put them out of the running).

8. Diana Ross (just how did this never happen?)

9. Oasis (would've seemed a dead cert in the Brosnan era)

10. Texas (imagine what might have been!)

#2 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

...song.

Was having this discussion with my wife earlier. Here are a few bands who I think could have done one.

1. Fleetwood Mac (although they're still in such rude health they probably still could)

I can't say that I'm all that surprised by the fact that they never did one, although I would have loved for it to have happened (and would still welcome it, for that matter).  I think the main obstacle there would have been that, first, the band would have never been able to agree which of them would be the lead vocalist on something like this.  I can only imagine what the behind-the-scenes arguments between Nicks and Buckingham would have been over that issue.  I'm not sure that Nicks' Mac material would have been suitable for a Bond theme, as that body of work is usually very deeply personal and revolves either around her drug addictions (see Tango in the Night and "Gold Dust Woman" as an example) and more mystical themes ("Gypsy", "Rhiannon", etc.), or the music is not-so-subtly targeted directly at Buckingham (Rumours, and various other songs over the course of the band's six albums).  I think by the time that they would have been a viable option for EON (which probably would have been for The Living Daylights), it would have been Buckingham that would have been the more logical choice to contribute the track, given that he'd already contributed a film title track by that point ("Holiday Road" for National Lampoon's Vacation) plus the fact that his sound would have been a better fit for the direction EON was going with the title music (a-ha for TLD and the initial interest in Eric Clapton for LTK). 

That all said, the band could probably still pull one off. 

Kind of surprised that one never happened.  I'm not particularly a big fan of the band, but it would seem like they would have been a good fit for Bond.

5. Madonna (yeah OK, I know she did eventually do one but I'm still surprised it wasn't done much earlier)

They definitely went in this direction far, far too late.  Madonna circa "Open Your Heart" would have produced a much better title track than what she gave us for Die Another Day, which unfortunately happened to coincide with her foray into more electronic-driven music. 

Certainly would have been a better choice for the title track for Tomorrow Never Dies

#3 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

EON would never have paid what Michael Jackson would have demanded.

After hearing Devil Inside, I'd nominate INXS.

Bruce Springsteen can do anything Chris Cornell can do, and with more heart.

Cyndi Lauper for pure energy.

Phil Collins?

#4 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

Elvis Presley for DAF?? B)

#5 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

EON would never have paid what Michael Jackson would have demanded.

After hearing Devil Inside, I'd nominate INXS.

INXS would've been fantastic.

A perfect match - the Vegas Bond sung by the Vegas man - would've rocked. But that would've deprived us of Bassey's version i can't have that as it's definitely one of the best.

I think Elvis would've done justice to almost any of the themes, so how about him giving one of the mediocre themes a little more class? I nominate Elvis for TMWTGG?

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 13 October 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#6 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

Phil Collins?

Indeed a glaring omission from my list. Not as a solo artist though... I'm talking Genesis here. 

#7 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

Speaking of Genesis...Peter Gabriel

David Bowie (he could have been in the film as well)

Pat Benetar.

Edited by dtuba, 13 October 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#8 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

David Bowie in his with all the "thin white duke" stuff could have actually been a very good fit in the 70's or 80's. Cause if Bowie did a tune, it would have to be for one of the Roger Moore movies! 

#9 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:51 AM

I would have say these

Phil Collins

The Who

Dire Straits

Mr. Mister

Bon Jovi

Huey Lewis and the News

Paula Adbul

I'm glad that Michael Jackson Never did a Bong song at all.

#10 archer1949

archer1949

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Bowie. Both in terms of doing the theme song and appearing in a movie itself. 

Warren Zevon. 

#11 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

The only one that really should have done it is Bowie.

Too late now, unfortunately, since he probably has no interest in doing anything but his own music without performing.  Also, the kids donĀ“t care about him, sadly.

I only hope that Miley Cyrus will not be asked to contribute.

#12 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

T'Pau

Kim Wilde

Mick Jagger

and maybe:

Madness

Linda Ronstadt

Kim Carnes

Edited by Grard Bond, 15 October 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#13 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

Alice Cooper: Hear his version of TMWTGG? It's Awesome. He should have done a theme.

Queen: Their soundtracks for Flash Gordon and Highlander are very memorable. The would have brought something good to Bond

KISS: Bear with me, I'm talking post 1985 Kiss with Paul Stanley, Gene Simmons, Bruce Kulick, and Eric Carr. They had a handful of radio friendly hits throughout the eighties and drew large crowds. They could have given a Bond movie something solid.

Queensryche: If anyone aside from me has heard their Operation: Mindcrime albu,, it's Bondian in scope and a stellar concept record.

#14 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

Queen: Their soundtracks for Flash Gordon and Highlander are very memorable. The would have brought something good to Bond

Absolutely and by far Queen are the biggest missed opportunity for a Bond theme.

#15 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

Elton John could have done a great title song. Well... he still could!

#16 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

Absolutely and by far Queen are the biggest missed opportunity for a Bond theme.

I don't agree, having seen Flash and Highlander. I can't comment further, I just...don't agree.

#17 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Depeche Mode

#18 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

Depeche Mode

Ah! You beat me to it!

Agreed 100%, I still think they could pull it off now.

#19 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

Depeche Mode

Ah! You beat me to it!

Agreed 100%, I still think they could pull it off now.

I'm sure they'd have done a great theme, but IMO they're even better now than they were in the 80s so i hope they still get to do one.

#20 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

If Depressed Mode had done a theme that was anything like their work on Some Great Reward, it would have been the only Bond theme ever to inspire me to slit my own wrists.

#21 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

Or Ol' Blue Eyes Himself, Frank Sinatra? Another Vegas connection there, for sure. His "Rat Pack" partner Sammy Davis Junior did appear in DAF, only to end up on the cutting room floor. Pity really, it would have been a perfect cameo. (If you've seen the restored clip in DAF deleted scenes, I like the bit when he looks at Bond in the white tuxedo and says something about him just having dropped off a wedding cake!)

...song.

3. Toto (there was a very brief period when they were absolutely massive! Surprised Eon didn't strike while the iron was hot)

4. Michael Jackson (seems to be the one glaring omission from his career)

6. Spandau Ballet (if Duran Duran and A-ha could do one...)

7. Bananarama (although having such a silly name probably put them out of the running).

8. Diana Ross (just how did this never happen?)

10. Texas (imagine what might have been!)

The Eurythmics, definitely. Annie Lennox could still do it, I think.

I would have loved to have heard Dusty Springfield do a main title theme for one of the "official" Bonds. I know she did "The Look Of Love" for CR1967. Pity she couldn't have done the theme to a Connery or Moore movie as well.

Alice Cooper: Hear his version of TMWTGG? It's Awesome. He should have done a theme.

KISS: Bear with me, I'm talking post 1985 Kiss with Paul Stanley, Gene Simmons, Bruce Kulick, and Eric Carr. They had a handful of radio friendly hits throughout the eighties and drew large crowds. They could have given a Bond movie something solid.

Queensryche: If anyone aside from me has heard their Operation: Mindcrime albu,, it's Bondian in scope and a stellar concept record.

I've heard that Alice Cooper theme and I think I prefer it to the one that was used in the movie.

#22 The Krynoid man

The Krynoid man

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

I'm not surprised they didn't, but I would have liked The Kinks to do a Bond song. I think their Englishness would have suited the Moore era perfectly.

#23 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:19 AM

Michael Jackson sounds like an interesting choice.

I've been listening to a lot of IRON MAIDEN lately and would like to think they could have done a great Bond theme. 

#24 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:55 AM

I've been listening to a lot of IRON MAIDEN lately and would like to think they could have done a great Bond theme. 

Iron Maiden.....??? :blink: and you thought Jack White was loud, noisy, cacaphonic and unmelodic...

Edited by dtuba, 15 November 2013 - 02:57 AM.

#25 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

Iron Maiden.....??? :blink: and you thought Jack White was loud, noisy, cacaphonic and unmelodic...

Alot of Iron Maiden's songs are cinematic in scope, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, For The Greater Good of God, The Final Frontier, Where The Wild Wind Blows, The Trooper, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son are hardly unmelodic. They would be a great choice and alot of Maiden fans would welcome a Bondian song by them, official or not. :D

#26 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:02 AM

Elvis for anything, really. Apparently he was a Bond fan--I've heard that the last movie he saw was The Spy Who Loved Me.

Edited by Revelator, 16 November 2013 - 01:03 AM.

#27 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

One band that I wish would have done a Bond theme--and which is my favorite--is HEART. Ann Wilson could have really belted out a great tune.

Probably the one artist I'm most surprised that never did a Bond theme--and another favorite of mine--is BRYAN ADAMS. He did a handful of theme songs back then and could have easily done one for Bond--a love ballad or otherwise.

#28 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

Sade--all that icy jazz.

Kim Wilde (thanks for the mention, Grard!) -- check out her "Bladerunner" from Teases and Dares album, also highest selling UK female singer

David Bowie -- almost in A View to a Kill

Marillion -- the band even admits Cathedral Wall is a Bond villain inspired song, and A Legacy a title-inspired tune (musically at least)

Genesis -- sort of already did one with Just a Job To Do

Gloria Estefan -- would have been perfect for a LIcence to Kill theme song, given the locale and Latin motifs

Still hoping that Kim Wilde or Marillion might at least get a shot at the end credits one day.

#29 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:23 AM

Pink Flloyd.

#30 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:41 AM

Janelle Monae. She can sing and write the theme song. In fact she can write the entire music score as far as I'm concerned. This track from The ArchAndroid shows a definite John Barry influence (about a minute in):

https://www.youtube....h?v=NFN3LmHD7QM