John Williams’s stoner

Robert Ludlum – the Bourne identity, supremacy, ultimatum

James may – car fever,man lab

Jeremy Clarkson – the top gear years

Jeffery deaver – carte blanche

William boyd – any human heart,solo

Ian Fleming – goldfinger , OHMSS ,quantum of solace

Robert Radcliffe - Dam buster

Sebastian Faulks - Devil May Care (ordered )

John Challis - Being Boycie

Edited by the man with the BB gun, 12 October 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#2 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

Right now, all I've got on my to-read list is Stephen King's Doctor Sleep.  Whenever I get around to finishing that, I'll turn my attention to either Lee Child's Never Go Back or Boyd's Solo.

Edited by tdalton, 10 October 2013 - 11:29 PM.

#3 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Sebastian Faulks - DMC

TEss Gerritsen - Last to die

Tana French - Into the Woods, The Likeness, Faithfull Place, Broekn Harbours

Lindsey Faye - The gods of Gotham

Philip Kerr - the Man without breath

Louise Penny - the brutal Telling

MC BEaton - the latest Hamish Macbeth

Ann Cleever -Red Bones

Lawrence Block - 3 Hitman novels

Jo Nesbo - The Bat.

#4 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

Right now, all I've got on my to-read list is Stephen King's Doctor Sleep.  Whenever I get around to finishing that, I'll turn my attention to either Lee Child's Never Go Back or Boyd's Solo.

Same here - turning my attention to DOCTOR SLEEP.  I´m only at the beginning but I get the feeling King is in great form. 

#5 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

Same here - turning my attention to DOCTOR SLEEP.  I´m only at the beginning but I get the feeling King is in great form. 

I'm about a quarter of the way through Doctor Sleep, and I'd have to agree that, at least so far, it does seem to be some top shelf work by King.  He's been on quite a roll since the beginning of the decade, with the short story collection Full Dark, No Stars (perhaps his best collection of short stories, IMO), and the masterpiece 11/22/63, which I think easily stands right up there with the best of his earlier work.

#6 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Yes!  I´m a long-time fan of his work.  Around the time of "The Tommyknockers" and "The Talisman", however, I stopped reading him.  Just did not care anymore for his new tales, could not get into THE DARK TOWER.  Maybe it was just me, growing up, being exposed to many other authors and artforms, branching out as a young adult.  Some years later I gave "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" a chance - and loved it.  I tracked down the books I had missed, gave TDT a new chance and reestablished my interest in King´s work (although there are still books which I do not like, for instance "Lisey´s Story" which I found overindulgent and trying too hard).

11/22/63, however, really made me a fan again.  I do agree with some critics that King´s writing has changed considerably. He himself admits that he will never be able to go back to the style of his early (IMO strongest) books.  Of course, that is impossible, since he got older, more experienced, more interested in style, less dependent on getting an audience. 

I recently listened to Campbell Scott´s wonderful reading of "The Shining" which was a great way to prepare myself for "Doctor Sleep". Right now, I like the new book so much that I want to stretch out that experience, not reading too much in one sitting.

And in a few weeks, I plan to attend King´s reading of "Doctor Sleep" in Hamburg, Germany. I would love to thank him for inspiring me to become a reader and a writer myself - but I don´t think there will be a chance to do that. Well, who needs another blabbering fan, certainly not Mr. King. 

Edited by SecretAgentFan, 15 October 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#7 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

1984 by George Orwell, finished it Sunday.
CARTE BLANCHE by Jeffery Deaver, a few chapters into it.
A DANCE WITH DRAGONS by George R.R. Martin, comes to paperback Oct 29th, in Canada anyway.
GONE GIRL by Gillan Flynn, found this for 2 and a half big whole dollars.
SOLO by William Boyd and probably DEVIL MAY CARE by Sebastian Faulks

Maybe the Star Wars Expended Universe's THRAWN TRILOGY/SERIES by Timothy Zahn.

I've bookmarked one of Jim's posts of recommended readings, so I shouldn't run out of anything to read anytime soon.

#8 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

I am reading the Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Gailbraith aka J.K Rowling. I like it, it's not bad, but it isn't as thrilling as I wanted it to be. I still want to finish it because I want to know who did it, so I will post a full review of this book when I am finished! :D

#9 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

Finally got around to finishing Stephen King's Doctor Sleep.  On the whole, an excellent novel.  I do feel, however, as though King may have bowed to some of the criticism out there that some of his work can border on being overly long or indulgent, as his last two major works (Under the Dome and 11/22/63) clock in at either over 1,000 pages or just under it.  Doctor Sleep is shorter, but I think it would have benefited from being a longer tale, as there's a lot of stuff at the beginning that bridges the gap between The Shining and the main plot of Doctor Sleep that feels a bit glossed over.  

That said, it's still a fantastic book, and along with his other recent work, it continues to mark a resurgence in quality for King.  Abra Stone is one of the best characters that King has created in some time, becoming just as interesting to the reader in her own rite as it is to catch up with Danny Torrance and his life following The Shining.