24 replies to this topic

#1 Felix_Leiter

Felix_Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 02:28 AM

Have you seen the Tim Dalton picture from the premiere? He looks alright. Infact, I think he could play bond again. Don't you guys miss the "Angry bond" Timothy Dalton played so well? I do. Let him have another shot at it! I guarantee he would deliver. Dalton for Bond 22!

#2 Alexborn007

Alexborn007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 03:25 AM

Originally posted by Felix_Leiter
Have you seen the Tim Dalton picture from the premiere? He looks alright. Infact, I think he could play bond again. Don't you guys miss the "Angry bond" Timothy Dalton played so well? I do. Let him have another shot at it! I guarantee he would deliver. Dalton for Bond 22!

While I woudn't be opposed to it, Dalton wouldn't do it. He almost seems to resent the fact that he played Bond. I think that had he really enjoyed the role, then he'd have done Goldeneye. But, I think that he treated the role like any other (and added a little Connery Bond), and thats where he had a lot of success with it.

#3 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 03:34 AM

If you want a good Timothy Dalton substitute, get Jason Isaacs. He looks exactly like a young Dalton, but even more handsome and I think that he's got what it takes.

#4 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 05:48 AM

I have a real soft spot for Dalton, was hoping he could jump on Kevin McClory's failed project.

#5 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 05:49 AM

But do you really want Dalton, a great actor, going near an instant trainwreck like that???

#6 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 10:27 AM

I agree with you JackChase007. I have been supporting Jason Issacs for Bond 6 since seeing him on a UK chat show during the summer. He certainly looks the part, looks rather like Dalton, but younger, and more suave like, although still with the angry edge.

#7 iceberg

iceberg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 10:39 AM

I think poor Timothy Dalton has taken a lot of flak unfairly. I thought he was an excellent Bond, his gravity and grim presence being an nice antidote to the "Oh-well-whatever" quality that in my opinion was beginning to characterize Moore's performances. But Brosnan is still the best Bond, though. He combines the charm of Connery, the seriousness of Dalton, and the light-heartedness of Moore into one unpredictable package.

I, too, like the idea of Jason Isaacs in the role, by the way.

#8 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 11:06 AM

Big fan of Dalton, The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill are two of the best of the series for me, and will get popular.
You see Dalton is a serious actor, and the Bond films right now are fast paced, there's alot of competition, I don't think that would play into Tim's talents even if somehow it happened, you get the sense Brosnan wants to do a strong character pierce emotional thread story from which action comes from, like Licence to Kill, but the thing about story and content now, is alot about money, the stakes are high, rest of hollywood and their blockbusters have set new standards.

Dalton might not have done more then 2 Bond films, but some films don't get sequels, Tim got 2 great Bond films in the series, and good Bond fans appreciate that, the media though is always hooked onto the fantasy bond, there's been more fantasy Bond then Tim's flemming hard edge Bond, so Tim in my book was clever to leave, he waited it out, took long, but depending how the series go, his films are always dating well, and I've watched his films the most, saw Living Daylights 3 times at the cinema, was too young for Licence to kill at the time, but since then, these films is just the series needed, and there are alot of Dalton fans out there and will continue to be.

Pierce though is right for these type of films since Goldeneye, Dalton said that himself. I think with each new film, and as the years go on, people's tastes shift all the time, and younger generation might have different ideas to what they like.

Bottom line is alot of good bond fans appreciate Dalton's contribution, but fanasty Bond is stuck on publics minds, but there's always going to be a core flemming or hard edge type likers of Dalton.

#9 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 11:40 AM

SeanValen00V - nice to meet you! I agree with your comments.

I stare at DALTON's TLD poster in my room everyday - he's the man!

HARD AS NAILS, SERIOUS AND DEADLY.....

#10 General Gogol

General Gogol

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 01:12 PM

Jason Isaaks would be a great bond. He has the temperment and acting ability to make a great bond. But I am not ready for pierce to leave quite yet. Have a great day!!!

#11 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 01:34 PM

Dalton was indeed incredible. He was dangerous as Bond, which is what Bond should be!!! 007 is supposed to be a deadly guy, an idea that was lost in the later Connery films and the Moore ones especially. Bond is a man to be feared. Not laughed at. My favorite scene from LTK is when he puts the knife up to Lupe's neck and says, "Make a sound, and you're dead." Way to go Bond!!!

And don't get me wrong - as much as I would like to see Jason Isaacs take over the role of Bond, I am in no way ready to see Pierce walk away from the franchise. I'm just speculating who would be good to take the burden of being 007 whenever Pierce DOES leave, and hopefully that won't be for a decent amount of time.

#12 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 02:37 PM

Originally posted by JackChase007
If you want a good Timothy Dalton substitute, get Jason Isaacs.  He looks exactly like a young Dalton, but even more handsome and I think that he's got what it takes.

I saw a interview with him on the BBC,talk about his role in Potter 2 and i agree he look like Timothy Dalton.
As there have a problem with Jason Isaacs as Lucius Malfoy,then must Timothy Dalton take the role over. :)

#13 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 06:30 PM

If written well, I think Pierce's Bond could turn nasty if they wanted it too, and because Pierce is popular, I think they need to take a risk and produce something unigue before he goes, go out with a bang. Pierce commented Dalton was brave with the approach he took, but that he wasn't doing what the punter wanted, what the large scale public want is probabley not what most fans want, the core flemming dark side, I think they can play that with Pierce a bit more, certainly now that Roger's films are more in the past, both Dalton and Pierce have continued more to the flemming side again, as it should be, but Pierce could still do more, and hope they do something unigue for him in his 5th film, we'll see.

They have to find a way of going dark without pushing the cerficate of the film beyond 12a which I think studio wants, to get more money. A good director, and good story, can do wonders, The Others horror film is 12a, didn't think it would chill me, but it did, room for that in Bond.

Pierce is playing Bond, and he does not need to play it the same each time, he could up some elements, no need for new guys yet, and Tim pleased with the way he left it, up to Pierce and the writers/producers to mold his Bond, because it will be his 5th, I think more freedom to explore would be great, but we'll see.

#14 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 09:36 PM

Well, I always thought that Dalton could come back to play Bond, but seing them pictures changed my mind. He has aged nt badly, but his hairline has receded a lot. He has got a lot chubbier, and looks slightly too old to play Bond. Anyway, Brosnan is the best, he can go on for lots more films. If Dalton did come back though, it would have to be a remake of a rubbish Bond film, like DAF or TMWTGG.

#15 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 12:53 AM

Originally posted by Felix_Leiter

Hell No...

#16 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 01:38 AM

If Pierce's last Bond is his 5th one, be the same stuff, we'll want him to do more, but as Bond says, enjoy it while it lasts, quality over quanity, Tim delivered 2 great Bond films in the series, and critics??????what do they know, they've been brainwashed with loyality to Connery and used to Moore's fantasy, Critics change all the time, Bladerunner was blasted when it came out, but Licence to Kill is popular all the time, and Daylights, new generations discovering Bond, have Dalton to watch for the first time, Moore, Connery, and things change. Dalton didn't give a toss about critics, he was loyal to Flemming's books, and true Bond fans will always see that.

#17 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 04:14 PM

I think he should come back after Brosnan does a couple more, but I think it could happen.

#18 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 04:21 PM

For the people who griped about Moore as Bond at age 58, Dalton is close to the same age now. Isn't that kind of a double standard? Moore was being labeled as geriatric and way too old to be with the girls. Dalton is at the same age or pretty damned close to it. What gives? I'm not a Dalton fan, by any stretch, but I think you're being unfair here.

#19 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 06:32 PM

I'm a big Dalton fan, but he's never coming back, neither is Moore, Connery, there were reasons why they left, and its totally logicals to find a new Bond after Pierce. As much as I like Dalton, he was in his prime for 2 great Bond films, and he's made his peace with that, I'm glad he got to be Bond after all, if Pierce never got signed up for more tv movies in remington steel, fate would have denied us Dalton, but it didn't, and 2 movies was enough, he's got a perfect record in 2 out of 2 great Bond films.

#20 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 09:00 PM

I agree with the last two posts. If he did take over, people would be moaning about why such a long-in-the-tooth actor is playing Bond. It would be more trouble than it's worth. Let's stop worrying about Dalton's missed opportunities and enjoy TLD and LTK for their place in Bond history.

By the way, where is Bondpurist? He should be basking in all this attention to Dalton.

#21 Melango

Melango

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 12:16 AM

I'm a big Dalton fan too, TLD and LTK are my two favourites (closely followed by DAD having just seen it..) and I agree with whats just been said. Dalton was a class Bond, he took the role on and played it how 'he' thought it should be played.
This made for a big change in style from what the public had become accustomed to. His 2 films can stand alone as the example of Fleming's Bond brought to the big screen. The 2 films might not have worked in the sense that they didnt bring in blockbuster money but in terms of giving the true Bond fans an example of this literary Bond brought to life, they were very successful.
As time passes on you see more people looking back and seeing them from a different perspective, stepping away from the "well thats not what I expected" and seeing it as an equally valid approach. Because of this need for a different perspective, I dont think that bringing Dalton back would work. It would be too hard to win over the new fans with a return to the gritty style. Not enough of a money making venture.
In my opinion its better to leave Dalton with his 2 films as they are. Leaves you wanting more of him rather than being glad hes gone if you like. (Of course if by some miracle he was to return....I wouldnt complain :))

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 12:53 AM

As much as I think the majority of Bond fans liked the Dalton movies, the fact is that the general audience didn't warm to his interpretation. By all reports License to Kill almost sank the franchise in 1989, so I don't think EON would take him back as Bond now. Especially since he seems to have aged and would probably only be good for one, perhaps two movies after Pierce hangs up the shoulder holster in 2005.

#23 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 01:26 PM

Dalton's two films are among the best in the series because of their boldness. Dalton apparantly knew that you can't win everyone over, and decided to just be loyal to Fleming's interpretation of Bond, a move that was cheered on by many fans. I can't see Dalton returning, if by some twist of fate, he is asked back. I think he knows that he's past his prime, and wants to try to move on with his career. If Pierce Brosnan is admitting that he is getting too old for the role, and that he doesn't have too much more time, then I'm sure Dalton would not even consider coming back. Bond is a physically demanding role in recent years (Moore...who knows how many stunt-doubles had to take over for him) - after all, Brosnan got injured during the making of DAD, for example.

#24 B5Erik2

B5Erik2

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 412 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 09:17 AM

Dalton is my favorite Bond, but I don't want him to do another Bond film now.

Not that he would anyway.

He's just too old now. I hate to say it, but time marches on and Dalton's day as Bond has passed. He was great in the role, and TLD and LTK are two of my 4 or 5 favorite Bond films. He did the right thing - he went back to Fleming for his interpretation of Bond. He re-read Fleming's novels before TLD, and it shows.

I was really hoping to get that Kevin McClory Bond film - Dalton may very well have done it 4 or 5 years ago. Unfortunately, that never happened. I tend to feel that we were robbed of one more chance to see a great actor play a role the way the creator of the character intended him to be seen, but what can you do?

The courts sided with EON, and that's that.

Dalton won't be asked back by EON, and he wouldn't do it even if they asked. HE knows he's too old, and I don't think he's interested in re-joining the circus anyway (so to speak).

Go back and watch TLD or LTK when you want your fix of a serious Bond. I know I do.

#25 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 01:10 AM

Tim Dalton declined OHMSS, he said he was too young for the role, bloody hell, now thats a actor, I would have jumped to play Bond, and get the money, but he's class, waited it out, and did his 2. LTK in a way is a follow on from OHMSS, Bond is reminded of his pain through the death of Dela, the confusion I always had, Bond wanted revenge because of Felix, but it wasn't just that, Dela's death was like a echo of his wife's death in OHMSS, and Sanchez became just as bad as Blofled earlier to him.

And on a side note, those who say LTK sank the bond fanchise are wrong, if Pierce was in LTK, it still would of been the huge summer of 89, were talking Tim Burton's Batman, huge film, Indiana Jones and the last crusade, Rambo 3, Lethal Weapon 2, Star trek sequel, loads of films, and LTK went up against that, and EON marketing campaign was poor, they should of released it in the fall, but LTK was strong everywhere else, number one in the uk for 6 weeks!.

Kevin Mclory and his legal battles with EON/MGM, denied us another Dalton movie, say in 1991 at least, but hey I'm not dwelling on it, Dalton got the role through Pierce's misfortune of him staying on his remington steel tv series, so Tim did his 2 movies, and having declined OHMSS at the age of 27, declining to become James Bond because of his young age, thought it was neat he got the chance when he was the right age, serious actor, did his stuff, and took risks with the films, to make a impact for the fans, and legal stuff after that, stopped it, but 2 films is almost a fanchise in itself, the Dalton fanchise Bond, Pierce fanchise etc.