#1 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

cultbox 12 September 2013

Life-long 007 fan Steven Moffat has revealed that he would not want to write a James Bond movie himself as he "[has] to leave something alone".

The Doctor Who showrunner has previously written film/TV scripts for a number of his favourite fictional characters, including Sherlock Holmes, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Tintin, and the Doctor.

Asked if he'd like to write a Bond film one day, Moffat told CultBox: "I think I have to leave something alone that I love, otherwise I’ll have nothing left to watch!"

The writer added: "I always think, as much I will always love Doctor Who and I will always love Sherlock Holmes, for the rest of my life once I’m done with them I will always be looking at those shows loving them but thinking ‘it’s not what I would’ve done’. I would like something to be left alone by me, just to be sitting in the audience eating my popcorn."

#2 Bill

Bill

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:04 AM

While I never left Bond, I was dead set against rebooting the series.  I am glad to say my interest has returned a great deal since seeing Skyfall.  While that may be the most atypical film in the series (as abysmal as QoS was it at least followed the basic structure of a Bond film) the end of the film, with everything more or less back to the way it should be, has been a terrific shot of adrenaline into my love of 007.

I also love Doctor Who, to the point where the revived--but not rebooted series--with spectacular writing, production design, direction, special effects and music, along with three terrific actors in the lead since its return, and pleasant expectations for the fourth, filled the gap in my fandom, for want of a better term, left by my dismay at the reboot.  Russell T Davies did a fantastic job, and it is his vision which has made Doctor Who a force to be reckoned with today.

When Steven Moffat took over, there were many who embraced him.  I do like him, but find that overall his run on the series is not nearly as fulfilling as that of Davies.  There is no reason why we still do not have resolution to some the story arcs he put into place three years ago.  Matt Smith and his co-stars are all excellent--I really mean it--but I feel that they would have been better served by a different producer.  Having said that, the season finale The Name of the Doctor was absolutely riveting, and I am awaiting the anniversary special The Day of the Doctor with baited breath.  Moffat should go out on a high.

I have enjoyed his other television programs--Coupling is one of the funniest comedies of all time, Jekyll was a terrific retelling of the story, and Sherlock is a lot of fun.  However, sometimes his writing is too clever and confusing for his own good, especially with Sherlock.  While many balked at CBS's Elementary as a rip off at Sherlock, it has proven itself to be far from that, and I daresay, possibly better then the other.   Without spoiling it here, the final two episodes from last season did an excellent job in turning the Holmes story on its head, and without the need for overly complicated explanations.  Sherlock's last season finale was also excellent, but with no explanation of its events until the next season, it remains to be seen if it as satisfying as Elementary.

So, if Moffat ever got his hands on 007, I wonder what he would do with it, but maybe it is just as well he does not.  However, if there is one thing he could have written, it would have been the last two scenes of Skyfall.  With Bond back at the beginning of his film career, with Moneypenny, M and Q, we truly have a wibbly wobbly timey winey 007.  And there is nothing wrong with that!

#3 graric

graric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:29 AM

While I never left Bond, I was dead set against rebooting the series.  I am glad to say my interest has returned a great deal since seeing Skyfall.  While that may be the most atypical film in the series (as abysmal as QoS was it at least followed the basic structure of a Bond film) the end of the film, with everything more or less back to the way it should be, has been a terrific shot of adrenaline into my love of 007.

I also love Doctor Who, to the point where the revived--but not rebooted series--with spectacular writing, production design, direction, special effects and music, along with three terrific actors in the lead since its return, and pleasant expectations for the fourth, filled the gap in my fandom, for want of a better term, left by my dismay at the reboot.  Russell T Davies did a fantastic job, and it is his vision which has made Doctor Who a force to be reckoned with today.

When Steven Moffat took over, there were many who embraced him.  I do like him, but find that overall his run on the series is not nearly as fulfilling as that of Davies.  There is no reason why we still do not have resolution to some the story arcs he put into place three years ago.  Matt Smith and his co-stars are all excellent--I really mean it--but I feel that they would have been better served by a different producer.  Having said that, the season finale The Name of the Doctor was absolutely riveting, and I am awaiting the anniversary special The Day of the Doctor with baited breath.  Moffat should go out on a high.

I have enjoyed his other television programs--Coupling is one of the funniest comedies of all time, Jekyll was a terrific retelling of the story, and Sherlock is a lot of fun.  However, sometimes his writing is too clever and confusing for his own good, especially with Sherlock.  While many balked at CBS's Elementary as a rip off at Sherlock, it has proven itself to be far from that, and I daresay, possibly better then the other.   Without spoiling it here, the final two episodes from last season did an excellent job in turning the Holmes story on its head, and without the need for overly complicated explanations.  Sherlock's last season finale was also excellent, but with no explanation of its events until the next season, it remains to be seen if it as satisfying as Elementary.

So, if Moffat ever got his hands on 007, I wonder what he would do with it, but maybe it is just as well he does not.  However, if there is one thing he could have written, it would have been the last two scenes of Skyfall.  With Bond back at the beginning of his film career, with Moneypenny, M and Q, we truly have a wibbly wobbly timey winey 007.  And there is nothing wrong with that!

I think the problem with Steven Moffat's run on Doctor Who is that he has too much freedom, as he can do essentially anything he wants within the show. When he was writing under Russel T Davies he would always be limited by Davies' plans for the show, so we ended up with some fantastic self-contained episodes. Now that he has the freedom to do whatever he wants in the show, he ends thinking of some strong concepts but tends to have problems creating a satisfying conclusion. Compare this to Sherlock, which I feel makes far more sense than you do, where everything he writes has to make sense: he can't just write a "Timey-Whimey" remark to try and explain away everything, he has to make it work within the logic of the show. Which makes me think that if he did write a Bond film, he could do a very good job of it. Because he would ultimately be writing it for the Producers and Directors, which will create some limitations in what he could get away with.

#4 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

I´m quite happy that Moffat does not want to write a Bond film. And frankly, he is overhyped because he´s sticking to DOCTOR WHO and SHERLOCK which too often are more of a collection of good scenes, glued together by the sheer willingness that they somehow make sense. A really good writer Moffat is not, IMO.

Edited by SecretAgentFan, 14 September 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#5 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

Thank goodness for that.- wouldn't want Moffat anywhere near a Bond film personally. He should stick to Sherlock.