8 replies to this topic

#1 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:29 PM

Does anyone else around these parts watch the excellent Showtime series HOMELAND?

New trailer just released for Season 3, with plenty of intriguing points for discussion. A warning that it contains Season 2 spoilers, if anyone is still catching up.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=iXOUIsu-E0Q

#2 Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

I really liked the show when it first started, but I got incredibly disappointed with the love story angle.  Seemed so cliche and out of sync with what I perceived the show to be when it started, that it really turned me off in Season 2.  I'll no doubt watch Season 3, but the show completely failed to grab me in Season 2 as it did in the first.

#3 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

Has anyone been watching Season 3 so far?

#4 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Still not finished season 2.

#5 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

I loved season 1. And I did not dislike season 2 like so many critics did.

However, the basic concept of season 1 (is Brody a terrorist or not?) could only remain the fuel for the series for so long. Season 2 offers great moments but also lots of red herrings that IMO show how the concept is stretched and stretched, drifting into bad "24"-ideas. And I began to be bored by CarrieĀ“s constant hysteria and attraction to Brody. The ending of season 2, however, is very surprising and effective.

Season 3 is supposed to be a return to form, however.

#6 Double Naught spy

Double Naught spy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

I've seen Season 1 & 2 and thoroughly enjoyed both seasons.  For those of you out there who haven't seen the show, I'll keep my "likes" and "dislikes" to myself in the advent I accidentally slip in a spoiler in the process.  However, I will say this - any and all storylines involving Brody's daughter Dana grate on my nerves to no end!  On a positive note, Claire Danes, despite 'where' the script takes her character, deserves all the credit in the world for her excellent and realistic portrayal of someone with bipolar disorder.   As an actor/actress, "playing" a character with a mental disorder can be as challenging as playing a character who is intoxicated.  Not that I'm equating the two, but for a performer, I imagine there's a fine-line between coming off as 'realistic' as opposed to being 'campy.' 

Regarding the current season - we began recording season 3 a few weeks ago, but due to the constant DVR backlog of shows (I need to spend less time posting on this board and more catching up on TV shows.  LOL), we didn't get around to watching the first 4 episodes of this season until our "Homeland marathon" this past weekend.  I have to say that I'm glad I didn't watch episodes 1, 2, 3, and 4 as they came out week-by-week, because I think I might have lost interest in the show within that four week span. 

But, without giving away any spoilers, by the end of episode 4 ("Game On") I was hooked all over again!  For those of you who out there who have seen that episode, you know what I'm talking about.  For those who haven't begun Season 3 yet, please be patient, have faith, and bear through the first 3 episodes.  By the end of "Game On", your patience will be richly rewarded. 

At this point, I'm being forced by my 'better-half' to let you all know that my ongoing joke of turning to her at the end of an episode and declaring it "good" or "bad" purely on the basis of whether Morena Baccarin showed her breasts in that episode, "Isn't really all that funny after all."   

OK, she's gone...  Sorry about that my fellow posters, I'm embarrassed that you had to see me like that, but since she's in charge of making dinner tonight, my hand was forced.  Sheesh!  "This never happened to the other fellow" indeed! 

Edited by Double Naught spy, 30 October 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#7 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:55 AM

Homeland Season 5 starts 4 Oct. 2015.

My wife and I binge-watched Seasons 1-3 a few months ago, and we both enjoyed it immensely.  We anxiously awaited Season 4, which we just completed (all 12 episodes in 3 days).

Claire Danes does an outstanding portrayal of Carrie Mathison, the bi-polar, adrenaline-addicted, CIA case officer.  When Carrie is off her meds, the wigged-out, frantic character is truly believable. 

For myself, I am really enjoying the growth of the Peter Quinn character played by Rupert Friend.  He is a field operator in the vein of Bauer-Bourne-Bond.  I could see him as a suitable replacement when the Craig-era ends.

Sadly, it will be a year before Season 5 hits the shelves on DVD.

#8 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:17 AM

Just started on Season 5. Impressed with the change of location to Berlin, and all that might open up. So far, so good.

#9 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:52 PM

the last episodes of season 4 were amazing. tense, exciting with good action thrown in the mix.