Breaking the formula

3 replies to this topic

#1 Double oh Ten

Double oh Ten

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 08:11 PM

Now Im sure that pretty much everyone will agree with me when i say that Licence to Kill, although unique, does not fulfill the basic requirements of a good 007 film. But maybe that was just a one off!

Just because LTK was a failure, what says other films breaking away from the formula have to be failures, if they are made the right way!

Would you like to see 007 in a Bodyguard type scenario? Would you like to see 007 in a Die Hard or Passenger 57 type scenario? Or maybe even 007 in a Fugitive type scenario?

Maybe not, but if they put enough thought in it they could pull it off with success!!!

What do you all think!

#2 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 08:19 PM

There are lots of films I can think of offhand that broke the formula and were financially successful. A few examples:

Diamonds Are Forever - surely not a big Bond movie with big special effects, at least until the end when we get big crappy special effects).

Live and Let Die - Again a bit of a departure. International espionage and voodoo - who knew?

For Your Eyes Only - Back to basics Bond that scored at the box office.

The Living Daylights - Again a bit of a departure; much more of a serious spy thriller than many recent Bonds.

#3 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 04:41 PM

Bond hides out with the Amish. The Witness Bond.
Bond loses his memory and becomes a private detective for an agency in Los Angeles. My ideal final Brosnan Bond.
Bond goes undercover in a Mr. Universe contest. Miss Congeniality Bond.
Bond uncovers corporate shenanigans and tells all to 60 Minutes. The Insider Bond.

I could go on forever, but I will quit while I'm behind.

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 05:35 PM

I think it would be hard to put Bond in a Die Hard scenario without the film being reduced to being called a Die Hard rip-off. Bond films depend a lot on location and to keep him secured in one throughout the course of a film would be hard to pull off.

As far as his being a bodyguard, he was already in that position in TWINE for Elektra.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing a story based on my favorite John Gardner book Nobody Lives Forever in which Bond is not on a mission but on holiday and is being pursued by assasains sent by SPECTRE. LTK was criticized by a lot of people for not being a secret service story and that may effect the chances of this ever making it to the screen.