8 replies to this topic

#1 Rik

Rik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

I have to admit I'd like to see Vic Armstrong direct a Bond Movie. After his stellar work on the stunt team and second unit, surely he deserves a shot.

#2 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

Directing the stunts and directing the movie are poles apart. That's not to say Vic wouldn't turn out to also be a fine movie director, but his fantastic work on the stunts does not make this a given.

Decoding the script, the text, the sub-text and relating this via dialogue, image and sound design is something very few people can do very well and i only want those who do it very well  to direct Bond.

Probably won't happen, but i'd love to see Nicholas Winding-Refn's  uncompromising take on Bond.

From left field i'd throw in the name George Miller  - Mad Max supremo, as well as the very popular, surprisingly accomplished animation Happy Feet. A man that can achieve so much in such diverse medium and genre could probably adapt very well to Bond's palette.

He almost made Justice League and few years back, but the studio balked at the budget and Miller refused to make a cheap Batman/Superman movie (now of course Zak Snyder  of Man of Steel is likely doing it.

And Miller has his new Mad Max trilogy commencing soon, starring Tom Hardy  as Max, so once he's free of that he'll be on a lot of studio wish lists (so long as the new Max movies do well, but i'm sure they'll be huge hits).

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 01 July 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#3 Rik

Rik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

I know 2nd Unit and stunts are poles apart. Other 2nd unit Directors have gone on to direct main unit and done it well, so it's not impossible.

You mentioned some other fine choices there.

It's always good to consider different styles.

#4 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

I wonder if at some time in the future a Bond film could be directed by a former Bond actor.

Brosnan probably has not the appropriate relationship with EON anymore. But Daniel Craig, once he has resigned - would he want to direct a future Bond?

#5 Rik

Rik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

Has DC expressed any interest in Directing?

#6 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

Not that I am aware of.  But I would consider him capable.

#7 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Not very convinced by Craig as a director - especially as a 1st try without technical background-.

My heart speaks but I would love Bond to to be a come-back for McTiernam and have the action of Die-Hard and the style of Thomas Crown

#8 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

I'd rather not see a former Bond actor direct a future Bond film.  First and foremost, I think it would be extremely unfair to the current Bond to do so, as having a predecessor of his not only looking over his shoulder the entire time but also being expressly in charge of telling him what to do with the character would be a bit much, I think.  I also don't see any of them being particularly suited for directing a Bond film at this point, either.

#9 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Not very convinced by Craig as a director - especially as a 1st try without technical background-.

My heart speaks but I would love Bond to to be a come-back for McTiernam and have the action of Die-Hard and the style of Thomas Crown

Absolutely!

Despite having some of the most successful, as well as critically acclaimed action movies on his cv, he never really became a household name. Two more great movies he was responsible for are the original Predator and The Hunt For Red October (easily the best entry in that franchise)

I'm not sure if McTiernan's out of jail yet (hence the hiatus), but i'd be more than willing to hand him the reins.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 02 July 2013 - 06:52 PM.