20 replies to this topic

#1 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

Not counting multiple appearances by stuntmen, which actors have appeared most as a single character in the Bond films?

17 Desmond Llewellyn as Q

14 Lois Maxwell as Moneypenny

10 Bernard Lee as M

7   Judi Dench as M

7   Sean Connery as Bond (including NSNA)

7   Roger Moore as Bond

6   Walter Gotell as Gogol (not counting FRWL)

6   Geoffrey Keen as Frederik Gray

4   Robert Brown as M (not including TSWLM where it's not clear if it is the same character before joining MI6)

4   Pierce Brosnan as Bond

Edited by lazenbyland, 25 June 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#2 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

Michael Wilson? ;)

#3 MooseWithFleas

MooseWithFleas

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:36 AM

You can add Samantha Bond as Moneypenny to the list with 4 :)

#4 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

And Viktor Tourjansky for 3

#5 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:03 AM

Michael Wilson? ;)

According to Bondmovies.com, Michael G. Wilson has 15 cameos (in GF, and TSWLM through QoS), though two of those are voice only but I don't know if anyone's spotted him in Skyfall.

#6 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:15 AM

Eva Reuber-Staier played Gogol's secretary in a few films. And didn't Q have some recurring background lackey in the '80s? Smithers? Smingers? Something like that.

#7 mrevans

mrevans

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:50 AM

Maud Adams had 3.  MWTGG, OP and the cameo in AVTAK

Joe Don Baker had 3.  TLD, GE, TND

Does the Aston Martin DB5 count?  GF, TB, GE, TND (I think I recall seeing it briefly pulling into the MI6 parking lot), CR, SF.  That's 6...

Of course it counts!  It's too cool not to!   B)

#8 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

I think the words, As A Single Character' may have been lost on some poor souls...

#9 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

Interesting suggestions. Definitely the Aston Martin counts though I think there is the DB5 in GF and TB,

the one in GE and TND and

the one in CR and SF.

Colin Salmon as Charles Robinson has three appearances.

That bloke with the bottle in SPY, MR and FYEO!

#10 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Well she does not appear in a Bond film voice actress Nikki van der Zyl has done 9 (10 counting CR67) according to IMDb. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0886424/

Edited by S K Y F A L L, 27 June 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#11 Bill

Bill

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Jeremy Bulloch, best known as Boba Fett in the original Star Wars trilogy, appeared as Smithers in For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy.  He was also aboard the British Naval sub in The Spy Who Loved Me as, per IMDB, HMS Ranger Crewman.  I do not recall if we actually see him get killed when Stromberg grabs the sub, and as they rescue the RN personnel later on, it is theoretically possible his character went on to work for Q Branch!

#12 mrevans

mrevans

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

Maud Adams had 3.  MWTGG, OP and the cameo in AVTAK

Joe Don Baker had 3.  TLD, GE, TND

Does the Aston Martin DB5 count?  GF, TB, GE, TND (I think I recall seeing it briefly pulling into the MI6 parking lot), CR, SF.  That's 6...

Of course it counts!  It's too cool not to!   B)

I think the words, As A Single Character' may have been lost on some poor souls...

... ahhh... you got me there.

Unless... Ms. Anders has the same back story Octopussy tells in OP.  The bullet misses her heart slightly and despite her shock she coolly plays dead seeing her way out as Scaramanga would clearly assume she was dead (given his confidence in his shooting abilities).  She moves on.  Having no legitimate way of life, she starts up the old Octopus cult.  Bond doesn't recognize her later for the same unknown reason Blofeld doesn't recognize him in OHMSS.  Perhaps the new glow of self-confidence threw him off.  After the events of OP she takes a vacation to San Francisco, hence her appearance in AVTAK...

And Joe Don Baker sure seems like a REAL character to me (insert comedy punchline drum roll)

Half a creativity point?   No... Maybe... please?  

But I did my best

Edited by mrevans, 29 June 2013 - 04:39 AM.

#13 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:29 AM

I think it could be argued that Judi Dench plays two different M characters.

#14 Call Me Hilly

Call Me Hilly

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

I always thought Judi Dench's M changed from film to film anyway. In GE she basically detests him, but by the start of TND he's doing "his job". By the time of Skyfall, its almost a mother and son relationship right down to Bond crying at the end, something he never did in OHMSS. Remember Peter Hunt, Bond doesnt cry!

#15 mrevans

mrevans

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

I always thought Judi Dench's M changed from film to film anyway. In GE she basically detests him, but by the start of TND he's doing "his job". By the time of Skyfall, its almost a mother and son relationship right down to Bond crying at the end, something he never did in OHMSS. Remember Peter Hunt, Bond doesnt cry!

I think one could argue that if they wanted to.  I've always noticed the difference in M's opinion of Bond from GE to TND.  Given the history of using the same actor to play different characters and the lack of concrete connection in films, at least as far as I can remember.  I would definitely argue that M is the same character from CR to SF.  I think SF has a deep amount of emotional depth added by the fact that Bond and M have had a growing relationship through three films.  From disdain at the beginning of CR to respect at the end of QOS.  The relationship only progresses more by SF coming to that mother/son relationship.  

#16 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

It wouldn't be a very convincing one...

#17 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

Well, it is quite obvious that the M in GE simply can't be the same as in CR unless we are talking parallel universe, which would be acceptable :-)

#18 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Michael Wilson? ;)

According to Bondmovies.com, Michael G. Wilson has 15 cameos (in GF, and TSWLM through QoS), though two of those are voice only but I don't know if anyone's spotted him in Skyfall.

He was standing behind Dench when she was looking at the caskets. He can only be spotted on a rather large screen.

#19 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

I guess Barbara wont be making any cameos or else she would have started by now but I think she may have had one in TSWLM though. 

#20 Call Me Hilly

Call Me Hilly

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

The rest of Michael Wilson's cameo in Skyfall was cut. This came at the funeral of the MI6 employees which wasnt in the final film. (There's a picture in the current 007 magazine).

#21 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

Well, it is quite obvious that the M in GE simply can't be the same as in CR unless we are talking parallel universe, which would be acceptable :-)

Oh FFS...!