Misdirection

5 replies to this topic

#1 ARLOO7

ARLOO7

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

I made it a point to avoid all the script leaks online, so I had no idea about M's fate before the movie.

During the film, I thought Mallory was going to be either an ill-fated ally like Saunders, or an insider who helped Silva hack into Mi6. Did anyone else jump to similar conclusions?

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

No, can't say that I did. While I too avoided spoilers for the most part, it was still obvious to me Dench wouldn't carry on indefinitely. The casting of Fiennes then made it highly likely in my view he wouldn't 'just' be a bystander. Although I could have seen him scheming for the villain's side inside SIS or even be the main villain. 

#3 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:22 AM

I knew before actually watching the film that Mallory would become M by the end of SKYFALL, but I still felt that they were (a bit too obviously perhaps) trying to give the impression that Mallory couldn't necessarily be trusted.

#4 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

I didn't, I actually had the impression he would become the new M through the whole movie; but a friend of mine came to the same conclusion of yours that Mallory was a bad guy.

#5 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

I too actually thought Mallory was somebody like a high-ranking member of Quantum, not that they were in the film but to be used as something for the future. I was also basically spoiler-free going in.

The good part is it wasn't some shallow attempt to make him a bad guy, SF avoided those types of cliches for the most part that plagued the series a generation ago, and his ending up as the new M was a good move. I like the character and Fiennes and look forward to him in the part for years to come.

#6 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

I was mostly spoiler free going into Skyfall, and while I never seriously thought that Fiennes would be anything other than Dench's replacement as M, it also wouldn't have surprised me if P&W had decided to make him some kind of double-agent working with Silva or Quantum or whoever, as that seemed to be their favorite plot device that they kept returning to film after film after film.  I'm glad that they resisted the urge to go in that direction, as Fiennes was one of the elements of Skyfall that I actually liked, and I can't think of someone who I think could do a better job as the new M moving forward.