This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Any thoughts on the new Q, or comments on previous Q's?

9 replies to this topic

#1 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:36 AM

Definitely miss Desmond Llewelyn

#2 ViperSRT87

ViperSRT87

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:48 AM

Agreed. I don't think any new Q will ever come near the class and personality of Desmond Llewelyn

#3 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:56 AM

Desmond was one of a kind.  Miss that Q but really like the new one.  He is the right guy for this epoch.  Possibly a female Q in the near future?

#4 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

I would've loved to see him make it to Daniel Criag's tenure as Bond

Desmond was one of a kind. Miss that Q but really like the new one. He is the right guy for this epoch. Possibly a female Q in the near future?

I can see a female Q, but doubt it'll happen anytime soon. Would be interesting though

#5 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

I would've loved to see him make it to Daniel Criag's tenure as Bond

Desmond was one of a kind. Miss that Q but really like the new one. He is the right guy for this epoch. Possibly a female Q in the near future?

I can see a female Q, but doubt it'll happen anytime soon. Would be interesting though

I don't think Desmond Llewellyn would have quite fitted into the rebooted Craig era - and I know, Judi Dench carried over from Brosnan to Craig, and at the time of CR I wondered how they would carry it off, but somehow or other they did. It helped that she was a relatively recent addition to the Bond cast. Desmond Llewellyn, on the other hand, had been part of the team for decades. I can't see how a Bond on his first major assignment as a Double-O could have been armed by a character who had been asking 007 to "pay attention" since the early Connery days. If the intention was to "reboot" then having a long standing member of the cast still playing the same character from the 1960s would have undermined the idea, in my view.

A character similar to Llewellyn's Q, on the other hand, but played by a different, younger actor might have worked. In fact I fully expected this in Skyfall, and was slightly surprised with the casting of Ben Whishaw. But on reflection I should have expected that, in a high-tech IT era, the Q of the reboot series would be a youthful computer genius. And I rather like the idea.

#6 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

It certainly would have been nice to see Llewellyn in DAD IMO. Ben Whishaw is alright, kind of a mix between Harry Potter and Lisbeth Salander. 

#7 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Desmond was a class act. He set the standard.

I really liked the portrayal of Ben Wishaw, and look forward to see more interaction between his Q and Craig as Bond.

#8 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

I agree with you all. I think Ben Wishaw was a good choice to takeover Q for today's Bond. The tech world now suits him & the series perfect. I give him two thumbs up.

#9 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

Possibly a female Q in the near future?

Perhaps, but not yet - or soon.

A female "Q"-type character has already been the staple of almost all other secret agent stories from the 70s on (Miss Peabody in Billion Dollar Threat, Janice in the Return of the Man From Uncle, even Anne Reilly in John Gardner's 007 continuations).

We already have Moneypenny back, and a male M  - let's see how this new central cast gels before speculating over future changes.

I expect it will happen some day - next time EON's creative well runs dry.

#10 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

The new Q even swore lol! Something none of the other Q's have done :D