whatculture may 10 2013

http://whatculture.c...lain-deaths.php

#2 ViperSRT87

ViperSRT87

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:24 AM

Interesting list. I can definitely see why these made the list. However for me personally I would have put Sanchez's a little higher. Of all the Bond movies considering what a horrible monster he is I think his end it the most "satisfying" of the Bond villain demises.  

#3 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:38 AM

I was okay with their list for the first five (#10-5), but their top 5 is pretty laughable.  Boris, really?

I think that Sanchez's death should have probably been a spot or two higher.  I would have also added Dominic Greene's death from Quantum of Solace, as that was one of Bond's more sadistic kills, while also being a case of Bond killing the villain without actually killing the villain.  It was a good twist and deserving of a Top 10 spot, I think. 

#4 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

I would have also added Dominic Greene's death from Quantum of Solace, as that was one of Bond's more sadistic kills, while also being a case of Bond killing the villain without actually killing the villain.  It was a good twist and deserving of a Top 10 spot, I think. 

Personally I thought it was a huge let down. Like with much of QUANTUM OF SOLACE, we're told after the fact but rarely shown.

#5 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

I would have also added Dominic Greene's death from Quantum of Solace, as that was one of Bond's more sadistic kills, while also being a case of Bond killing the villain without actually killing the villain.  It was a good twist and deserving of a Top 10 spot, I think. 

Personally I thought it was a huge let down. Like with much of QUANTUM OF SOLACE, we're told after the fact but rarely shown.

Oh, but in this case it's quite effective, more than any splatter filled action feast would have been. The imagination of the audience depicts Greene's end much more horrible than a director could have shown, particularly in the relatively mild cinema-Bond tradition of gore. 

Also it's a nice nod to Trevanian and his hero Hemlock's disposal of a villain in a similar fashion, letting him off the hook in the midst of a desert without water or supplies. Instead of a can of engine oil that unfortunate character had his own lapdog as his only means of survival. We are told that he - like Greene - actually made use of it...

#6 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

Oh, but in this case it's quite effective, more than any splatter filled action feast would have been. The imagination of the audience depicts Greene's end much more horrible than a director could have shown, particularly in the relatively mild cinema-Bond tradition of gore. 

Plus, I think actually showing his death would take away from the rather powerful moment where we see Greene realizing that Bond keeping his promise to him is going to result in a much worse death than Greene would have otherwise received from Bond. 

#7 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Plus, I think actually showing his death would take away from the rather powerful moment where we see Greene realizing that Bond keeping his promise to him is going to result in a much worse death than Greene would have otherwise received from Bond. 

That, too. Reminds me of Koskov's fate in TLD, only done right this time.   

#8 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

I would definitely have put Vargas, Stromberg and Locque in my top 5.

#9 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

I would definitely have put Vargas, Stromberg and Locque in my top 5.

Yes, instead of Chang, Necros, and Boris.  Locque's was particularly important given Moore's reluctance to film it.

I was okay with their list for the first five (#10-5), but their top 5 is pretty laughable.  Boris, really?

I think that Sanchez's death should have probably been a spot or two higher.  I would have also added Dominic Greene's death from Quantum of Solace, as that was one of Bond's more sadistic kills, while also being a case of Bond killing the villain without actually killing the villain.  It was a good twist and deserving of a Top 10 spot, I think. 

Greene's death reminds one of Fleming's short story Octopussy, also alluded to in its film, and for that reason is very Bondian.

#10 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:16 AM

I agree with some of those choices but not all. Scaramanga's demise, for example, I always thought was a bit lame. Bond loses his gun, climbs up some scaffolding, and the next thing we see is Scaramanga being shot by his waxwork dummy of Bond.

And speaking of of demises, there are some surprising omissions, imho. Any of these could have been added in place of others (though not all, of course)

Goldfinger - the eponymous villain sucked out of the 'plane he hijacked.

Thunderball - the above mentioned Vargas, and/or Largo himself, shot with the same type of weapon.

You Only Live Twice - Helga Brandt - from Spectre 11 to food for flesh eating fish

Diamonds Are Forever - Wint & Kidd - at once horrifying (Kidd burnt to death) and comic (Wint's expression as he's tossed overboard!)

A View To A Kill - Zorin still manages a manic cackle as he's about to fall to his death.

The World Is Not Enough - Renard impaled by nuclear rod.

Skyfall - Silva, denied his triumph by the "last rat standing" - and the expression on his face as he's about to die.

I guess I'm thinking more of the inventiveness of these villain's deaths, or gruesomeness, than anything else.

#11 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

1.Elliot Carver's death is the first one that comes to mind for me.
2. Stromberg's death is another. Bond went overkill on that one.

#12 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

10 Most Memorable James Bond Villain Deaths Ever whatculture june 22 2013 http://whatculture.c...deaths-ever.php