#1 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

sidmouthherald april 23 2013

Honor Blackman, the silver-haired star of the silver screen, is taking to the stage in Sidmouth as herself next month.

Known across the world as Bond girl Pussy Galore and Catherine Gale in The Avengers, the actress will share stories from a career that has spanned six decades.

She will appear at the Manor Pavilion on May 5, and made her own enquiries about the theatre, much to the surprise of manager Graham Whitlock.

“Why shouldn’t I?” asked the feisty actress.

But she still gets nervous: “I think if you don’t there’s no point – but it gets easier,” said Honor.

This is her fifth one-woman show, and it’s their success that spurs her on. She will be on stage in conversation with director Richard Digby Day, who will get her back on track if she digresses too much.

Honor said she feels more comfortable having another presence on stage, and quoted Eleanor Roosevelt, whose mother told her it was ‘awfully bad manners’ to talk too much about oneself.

So she will be breaking up the show by singing a couple of her favourite songs, including Send in the Clowns and Falling in Love Again.

The 87-year-old said most people would think her career highlight was Goldfinger, but she said making The Avengers was ‘wonderful’, if fast-paced.

“I had to catch my breath or it would look like I was panting after Patrick [Macnee, co-star], and that would’ve been very different,” she said.

Honor left The Avengers before she could be typecast and the plotlines became too far-fetched.

“I thought two years was long enough – they had to keep thinking of stories about a world none of us was too familiar with.”

She took another strong female role as Pussy Galore opposite Sean Connery’s James Bond, before joining Colin Baker in Doctor Who.

“It was my Oscar-winning performance trying not to laugh as men dressed with plants coming out of every orifice carried me.”

Her grandchildren are big fans of the show, but she doesn’t think they have seen her episodes, or are even fully aware of her illustrious career.

“I’m not very actress-y,” she said.

Honor is also talking about her enduring status as a sex symbol, which she said she never understood. “It’s not just what you look like – it’s who you are,” said the grandmother. Just try to be fantastic.”

Tickets for the show, which starts at 7.30pm Sunday, May 5, are £14 and available from the Manor Pavilion box office.

http://www.sidmouthh...mouth_1_2087801