Further note on Brosnan's demand

14 replies to this topic

#1 007_Fanatic

007_Fanatic

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2001 - 05:30 PM

'The News of the World' (UK) is a tabloid, so the news could be true or false. You never know with tabloids, but anyway I have found the article and this is what it said:

'PAY RISE BID BOND'
"007 star Pierce Brosnan has shocked movie bosses by demanding a massive pay rise to carry on playing James Bond.
Brosnan earns 3 million a film but wants 15 million.
He is contracted to make one more Bond films but is in talks about extending his contract.
If negotiations break down, Aussie heart-throb Hugh Jackman is tipped to replace him."

PLEASE NOTE: the news may not be true, this news has only been rumoured by a UK tabloid.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 01:46 AM

Blue Eyes (25 Jul, 2001 01:30 a.m.):
The figure I've heard a fair bit is actually $20 million which seems
And Zencat is right, Jackman is not 'tipped' to take the role. He's another rumour, thank God, I really can't stand him. Dont' know what it is, but I just can't get 'into' a Jackman film.

Did you see SWORDFISH? That's the movie that sold me on Jackman's star power.

#3 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 08:16 PM

Mr Trump (29 Jul, 2001 07:12 p.m.):
I say give him [Brosnan] what he wants for the next couple of movies and then bring in Ewan McGregor or Alexander Siddig.

Brosnan's pay demands seem pretty much in line with Moore's contractual negotiations. Bond's continued popularity is to a great measure thanks to Brosnan's performance, so fair compensation is not unreasonable. As for his other "demands", it seems to me that Brosnan is taking a real interest in the quality and direction the series takes, rather than just showing up and reading the lines. Actors like Harrison Ford and Sean Connery make the same sort of imput in their films. It's a way of keeping up the standard of the films in which the actors appear. I'd say brosnan doesn't want a repeat of his experiences on T.N.D., which had major script problems being ironed out during filming.
B.T.W. Isn't Ewan McGregor a wee bit short to be Bond?

#4 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 08:16 PM

Simple enough. Let Pierce Direct.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 11:29 PM

I'd have to say Boldman that a lot of those are just rumoured press pieces, I doubt they are all true.

And not all of them are 'demands', just 'wants' beause it would be interesting.

And a lot of them are quite good ideas!

#6 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 July 2001 - 06:12 PM

Did you see SWORDFISH? That's the movie that sold me on Jackman's star power.[/quote]
I going to watch Sword fish tommorrow and I'm looking forward to it. I still don't consider Jackman to be a future Bond although he was great as Wolverine. I say give him what he wants for the next couple of movies and then bring in Ewan McGregor or Alexander Siddig.

#7 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 07:52 PM

Boldman (25 Jul, 2001 12:35 p.m.):
I agree he should be allowed to ask for certain things, but he's getting above himself. I mean, he's asked
* For Apted to direct
* To make Bond more sensitive
* To make Bond more eco-friendly
* That Bond should stop smoking
* For a three year gap between films
* Make the love scenes more explicit
* That he wants it shot in Ireland
* To cast an older Bond girl
* Bring back Michelle Yeoh
* He's asked for lots of different people to be his Bond girl.

Not all of those demands have been confirmed, Boldman. Some of them are no doubt made up by the press.

Dave

#8 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 30 July 2001 - 04:52 AM

Alexander Siddig? Hmmmmmm.... Very interesting. If he could show just a little more toughness he COULD be great! I'd be willing to give him a shot. Definitely very suave in a Roger Moore way, but not as comedic.

I think Hugh Jackman could be very good as well.

But all of this depends on when Pierce Brosnan actually steps down, which may not be for another 5 or 7 years.

#9 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 30 July 2001 - 02:56 AM

Boldman (25 Jul, 2001 10:19 a.m.):
Grant him a pay rise, but Brosnan is really getting on my nerves making all those demands. Someone should tell him that he's an actor, and has no say in how they shoot it.

Brosnan certainly deserves more the three million! He works he butt off for six months, which is about six times longer than most other actors have to work on one film, and he gets only a fraction of what other actors get!

I like how everyone is saying that Brosnan is "demanding" this or "demanding" that. Some of the things he "demands" are well within an actors rights. He's the one who has to say those lines so he should have some say in what he says or what he does. And as for "demanding" directors, co-stars, etc he's only making SUGGESTIONS. Can you say that "Suggestion", I know that you can. There's a big difference between demanding something and suggesting things for crying out loud!

This wasn't aimed entirely at you Boldman. More to the "Brosnan nay-sayers" and the press.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 July 2001 - 05:53 PM

As a rule, I don't believe anything that comes out of a British tabloid. I mean, haven't we been burned enough?

But as to this price...I believe PB does make 3 million a film and 15 sounds like a realistic asking price for Bond 21 (which I'm pretty certain he's going to do).

Hugh Jackman is not "tipped" to replace PB. No one is. I think Jackman could become a HUGE star in the next couple years if he plays his cards right. He's the next Harrison Ford or Mel Gibson. (Jackman should have been cast as the new Jack Ryan in "Sum of All Fears" instead of that smug drip Ben Affeck.) While it would be great to see Jackman play Bond, I think his career path is elsewhere. I would hate to see him get typed at Bond. He's too good.

#11 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 09:57 AM

I think that's harsh Bondman. He's got every right. EON and MGM make a lot and an actor (trust me I'm training to be one) has to make these demands for his contract. They all have to, otherwise the studios get a free reign.

#12 Boldman

Boldman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 11:35 AM

I agree he should be allowed to ask for certain things, but he's getting above himself. I mean, he's asked
* For Apted to direct
* To make Bond more sensitive
* To make Bond more eco-friendly
* That Bond should stop smoking
* For a three year gap between films
* Make the love scenes more explicit
* That he wants it shot in Ireland
* To cast an older Bond girl
* Bring back Michelle Yeoh
* He's asked for lots of different people to be his Bond girl.

I don't mind that he's getting a pay rise, but he's trying to get bigger than he is.

#13 Boldman

Boldman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 09:19 AM

Grant him a pay rise, but Brosnan is really getting on my nerves making all those demands. Someone should tell him that he's an actor, and has no say in how they shoot it.

#14 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 08:06 AM

No to tell you the truth I haven't. I guess that doesn't make me an authority on him. But from what I have seen of him.

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 12:30 AM

The figure I've heard a fair bit is actually $20 million which seems fair considering how much MGM/EON make from the films. They are very big earners without a doubt! Especially if you consider what other actors get paid for their roles which earn just as much at the box office.

And Zencat is right, Jackman is not 'tipped' to take the role. He's another rumour, thank God, I really can't stand him. Dont' know what it is, but I just can't get 'into' a Jackman film.

I take it you don't like Affleck Zencat? I guess we differ there :) Not the greatest actor I admit but I still like him :)