10 replies to this topic

#1 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Ben Wishaw introduces himself to Daniel Craig in SKYFALL as "Your new Quartermaster..."

So, here's my question: Was there a predecessor to Wishaw's Quartermaster that we have never seen?  He is after all, the NEW Quartermaster.  Is it a stretch to consider that there was a previous Q, and that he was possibly killed in Silva's explosion, precipitating the need for there to now be a new Quartermaster?

This was an idea that my brother, a life-long Bond fanatic himself, posited to me and the more I have thought about it, the more plausible it has began to seem.  Was the previous Q in one of those flag-draped coffins? 

Perhaps this is addressed in the Mendes commentary (which I have yet to enjoy).  If so, and has been addressed here in the forum, then I apologize and request that the Mods either kill this new thread or merge as they see fit.

What are your esteemed thoughts?

Edited by Yellow Pinky, 25 February 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#2 PeteNeon

PeteNeon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

I'd like to think it was the technician guy we saw in Quantum of Solace.

#3 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

They have quartermasters, they make the job possible.  I'm sure there was one before, or many, lots of logistics to get a hand on. 

#4 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

I'd like to think it was the technician guy we saw in Quantum of Solace.

That thought crossed my mind as well, though he didn't seem to be treated with any real kind of authority.  He very much seemed to be just that - the technician guy. 

And the  guy who implemented the chip insertion into Bond's arm in the field in CR was similarly just a technical guy.  And also, given the fact that such a big deal is made of the character of Q being introduced in SF, it would appear that the producers didn't intend anyone in either of Craig's first 2 films to be the Quartermaster "proper."

Edited by Yellow Pinky, 25 February 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#5 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

I'd like to think that the previous Quartermaster was alternate universe Major Boothroyd who perished in the MI6 attack, and that there has been several unseen missions between QoS and Skyfall, some of which might have resembled those which took place in 1962-2002. Explains the gadget-laden DB5 too.

Edited by AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän, 25 February 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#6 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

I'd like to think that the previous Quartermaster was alternate universe Major Boothroyd who perished in the MI6 attack, and that there has been several unseen missions between QoS and Skyfall, some of which might have resembled those which took place in 1962-2002. Explains the gadget-laden DB5 too.

That's closer to my brother's take, though I tend to think we have an entirely alternate universe for the entirety of the Daniel Craig tenure, which admittedly makes it almost impossible to reconcile the DB5. 

#7 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

I kind of took it as, MI6 had guys here and there providing bits and pieces, never really anything set in stone as far as an actual position goes.

The NEW Quartermaster bit, I felt, was a way of introducing the new one-man position to Bond...

#8 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:43 AM

I saw the "new quartermaster" line as a nod to the rest of the series.

#9 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

I'm not sure how much subtext there is to it all - if we want to read more into it, I think it's not a line for Bond, it's a line directed at us. Whereas Mallory's introduction is cloudy until the end, Whishaw's appearance sends a message to non-fans that "look, this guy is one of the good ones, just like the guy you remember. He's on Bond's side, no ambivalence" Unlike Mallory's reveal, which even through the "breadcrumbs" scene is supposed to be just a little "grey."

#10 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

That's closer to my brother's take, though I tend to think we have an entirely alternate universe for the entirety of the Daniel Craig tenure, which admittedly makes it almost impossible to reconcile the DB5. 

I am in no way suggesting that the line should be taken as I envision it - it is meant to the audience, just like Eve's "introduction" in the end of the film.

#11 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:23 AM

it entire the old Quartermaster retires or is killed, we don't even know the new Q name!