http://www.digitalsp...bonds-past.html

#2 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:12 AM

...and now it's done - so roll on The Spy Who Lives Twice Never Dies!

#3 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

of course Michael Wilson brought up exploring Bond's youth when Moore left the series, and Cubby rejected it then.

#4 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

of course Michael Wilson brought up exploring Bond's youth when Moore left the series, and Cubby rejected it then.

Yes, I think it's a little underhand doing it now, as Cubby isn't allowed to veto it.

#5 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

I don't know, it's not as if Broccoli had been always right with his decisions. A little more innovation during the 80s could have prevented the creative doldrums.

#6 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

Indeed. I think it would be wrong to suggest Cubby was always right. It could conceivably be argued that Michael and Barbara have ultimately saved the franchise.

#7 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Indeed. I think it would be wrong to suggest Cubby was always right. It could conceivably be argued that Michael and Barbara have ultimately saved the franchise.

Saved it from what exactly???

The franchise was doing fine actually if they had given Brosnan his FYEO they would have had his swansong and another 007 movie before Craigs entry, that would perhaps have made the socalled reboot totaly stupid. As it is still today umho.

With every new actor comes a new direction so in what sense did they really save a very healthy franchise?

#8 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

The franchise was doing fine actually if they had given Brosnan his FYEO they would have had his swansong and another 007 movie before Craigs entry, that would perhaps have made the socalled reboot totaly stupid. As it is still today umho.

With every new actor comes a new direction so in what sense did they really save a very healthy franchise?
This ultimately comes down to everyone's stance on the reboot. My view is that it energised an increasingly stale franchise, and gave it teeth against the new breed of action movies epitomised by the Bourne films. As you say, you consider the reboot to be totally stupid, so I wouldn't expect you to agree with me. Just my opinion, and I know others have similar thoughts.

#9 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

I'm sure 99% of people on this forum agreed that Babs and Mike saved the franchise. And if not 'saved' as such, gave it a much-needed shot in the arm, exploring Bond as a character again. A bit like when they moved away from Moore's increasingly comic and ageing Bond and went for a more serious one in the form of Dalton.

Brosnan's swansong was poor and completely overblown. Imagine what would have happened if the Bond films had continued in that vein? Yes they would have continued to make money but no-where near the amount Skyfall has.

The reboot was the best thing EON ever did, and also attracted legions of female fans to Bond by casting Daniel Craig.

#10 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

I'm sure 99% of people on this forum agreed that Babs and Mike saved the franchise. And if not 'saved' as such, gave it a much-needed shot in the arm, exploring Bond as a character again. A bit like when they moved away from Moore's increasingly comic and ageing Bond and went for a more serious one in the form of Dalton.

Brosnan's swansong was poor and completely overblown. Imagine what would have happened if the Bond films had continued in that vein? Yes they would have continued to make money but no-where near the amount Skyfall has.

The reboot was the best thing EON ever did, and also attracted legions of female fans to Bond by casting Daniel Craig.

So if 99% of fanboys say it is so it must be true??

The reinvention of 007 shows a lot of similarities to the so-called poor Brosnan period (heck SF has a lot of similarities with TWINE) so what is actually the shot in the arm? The biggest change is the pretentiousness of the franchise at this moment. The fact that 007 is responsible for his boss death and the baddie wins is my book a poor choice. But with Mendes and Craig wanting to do something to show the humanity of a secret agent there was never any doubt that the current Thug 007 would mess up. Curious what the next movie offers us in depression and loss. :sad: There is still his aunt responsible for young James upbringing that has had something horrible happen to....... Psycho therapy in the next 007 outing I suspect.

I wrote I think that PB should have been given a swansong with a fifth in the vein of FYEO, he was shortchanged by EON and Tamahori.

The biggest advertisement for SF came with the Olympics, and that was a brilliant move, it put 007 into the picture and reminded people that there was a new movie coming. And to be honest DC gaining legions of female fans that makes me laugh, DC is no beauty. He is more the most primitive of 007 and that undoubtely in your opinion pulls women?

And the Craig series is no reboot it is still the same series and ever since the PTS of CR it has not been commented upon even worse the GF improvements on the DB5 got acknowledgement in SF. I guess that DC's Bond has yet to meet tracy? And if the next 007 outing gets a lower BO does that mean that DC is out of favor???

And Dalton was a failed experiment not welcome by the paying audience outside of strong fanboys now. His first movie was his best but smelled more of strongpoints of Brosnan and Moore, both better suited for that movie. LTK was like QoB not the movie they really wanted but the best they could manage and looked like a cheap generic copy of Miami Vice, minus that shows depth in story and character. ( I recently rewatched the MV show, it is a very dark show not the glamurous copshow I remembered). Dalton never got his GREAT movie which is perhaps a shame like Lazenby never getting to do DAF. Dalton was just not what the audience wants.