http://whatculture.c...uld-go-next.php

#2 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

Would like to see a break from all the country hopping about and return a Bond film set (mostly) in one location. Italy or Greece, or maybe South Africa.

#3 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Very unimaginative list.

#4 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

CANADA FOR GOD SAKE!

Edited by DominicGreene, 19 February 2013 - 11:25 PM.

#5 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

I can't wait for Bond to come to CANADA one day but I fear its turning into something like the Olympics picking countries that will also generate box office results, like Britain or China. although they also went to Scotland in SF. I wouldn't mind if the next film was in only one primary location but it all depends on the story I guess. 

#6 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

I do rather like the Sweden suggestion, maybe Finland. I like it when those places are used for spy things. Russia's always good and India would make sense, although it doesn't really excite me.

#7 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

"We’ve seen James Bond visit Russia a number of times, and every time he’s been there the action has always been immense."

Hey Corey,

Bond's been to Russia once, in GoldenEye. What are these other times you speak of?

BTW, that composite picture accompanying the entry is of Istanbul, Turkey, where Bond has been, a number of times.

...and Bond has been to Japan - if you chose those graphics yourself, you must know that.

What culture, indeed. No wonder there's no link to a comments section - you must not want to hear from the likes of me (and I can't blame you, really).

#8 MooreDalton

MooreDalton

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

Jamaica.

Dammit.

#9 Zographos

Zographos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

Would like to see a break from all the country hopping about and return a Bond film set (mostly) in one location. Italy or Greece, or maybe South Africa.

I think from a production standpoint they're loathe to do this.  Worst-case scenario is that the film is scrapped entirely, as with the '67 OHMSS no-snow fiasco, or the '69 version of The Man With The Golden Gun slated to film in Cambodia during the uprising.  It's all the eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Skyfall was plug-and-play.  The location could have been Turkey, India, or South Africa - they just needed a train and a gorge.  This may not have the romance of Fleming's travelogues, but Fleming was only ever constrained by his imagination.

#10 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

I'll agree with the list posted in the original post when it says that Bond should return to Japan.  I'm not sure that I'd want it to be in Bond 24, though, as it wouldn't be the appropriate time in the current timeline to properly adapt the unused parts of You Only Live Twice.

Aside from that, I'd definitely like to see Bond go to Australia.  They also need to have Craig visit a snowy location at some point soon, as we've spent a great deal of time in more fair weathered locations over the course of Craig's tenure.

#11 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

"We’ve seen James Bond visit Russia a number of times, and every time he’s been there the action has always been immense."

Hey Corey,

Bond's been to Russia once, in GoldenEye. What are these other times you speak of?

Well he went there in A View To A Kill too.

And he kind of went twice in GoldenEye.

Skyfall was plug-and-play.  The location could have been Turkey, India, or South Africa - they just needed a train and a gorge.  This may not have the romance of Fleming's travelogues, but Fleming was only ever constrained by his imagination.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit of shame that the foreign locations had no reason to be where there were in Skyfall: change Istanbul to Mumbai and Shanghai to New York and you'd lose nothing apart from some nice images.

I suppose the Dead City thing just about made China a relevant location.

#12 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Russia and United Kingdom all the way!

#13 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Definitely not America, what exactly is the point of a globe trotting super spy if he hangs out where all the other blockbusters do?

#14 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

Dubai is probably out for a while since MI: Ghost Protocol was just there.  I think he's been to Istanbul three times now, so that's enough.  I wouldn't mind revisiting Las Vegas--that city has changed so much since 1971.  A stunt set-piece on the Luxor or that lost script bit from the Hoover Dam, for instance.

And how about Felix Leiter's home state of Texas?  Could be an interesting twist with Jeffrey Wright as Felix.

#15 lechero

lechero

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Hey Corey,

Well he went there in A View To A Kill too.

And he kind of went twice in GoldenEye.

Don't forget the ending of QOS (Kazan). But I would be all for a proper Russian setting at some point in the future.

#16 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

Good point, yes. I suppose you wouldn't say the action was 'immense' that time, but you're right :)

#17 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Despite being quite judiciously corrected, I still stand by at least part of my statement:

GoldenEye was the only Bond film with scenes filmed in Russia.

Is this thread about settings, or actual locations?

(As Fonzie) "I rest my case."

#18 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

I do rather like the Sweden suggestion, maybe Finland. I like it when those places are used for spy things. Russia's always good and India would make sense, although it doesn't really excite me.

If Russia's presented to be as dreary and unglamorous as it is in A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD, I'll pass.

#19 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Despite being quite judiciously corrected, I still stand by at least part of my statement:

GoldenEye was the only Bond film with scenes filmed in Russia.

Is this thread about settings, or actual locations?

(As Fonzie) "I rest my case."

Well if you're going to be that exact, the article says we've seen Bond visit Russia; and Brosnan didn't film any scenes there so GE doesn't fit either :)

#20 Commander E

Commander E

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Cote d'Azur for me. If not, places reminiscent of Corfu.

#21 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

I think its time we start seeing Bond in new locations. 

#22 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

Dubai, Dubai, Dubai.

#23 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

1. Canada-Whistler, BC

2. Berlin, Germany

3. Cape town, South Africa

4. Sweden

5. Portugal

6. Czech Republic

7. London and other part of the UK Wales?  

#24 Stavro

Stavro

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

If Mendes comes back, I'd give him some tropical islands and the Andes.

#25 Connerybond

Connerybond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

Berlin is not bad.

#26 QOS4EVER

QOS4EVER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

I would like a good range of locations, and some beautiful European cities ! :)

#27 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

1. Vancouver

2. Australia

3. Spain

4. Ural Mountains

5. Hawaii

6. Greece

7. Japan

#28 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

I actually like the travelogue aspect of the Bond films - so, please, at least three locations. Definitely one with snow. He´s got to be on skis at least once in his movies.

#29 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

I'd prefer to see a limited range of locations as opposed to constant globe trotting (QOS) - more like the earlier Bond films (i.e. DN, FRWL, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, DAF) where the majority of the film would be spent in one country. This gives more time to immerse the audience in a foreign culture, and create an impression in one's mind. For example, I would have loved to have seen more of Shanghai in SF than the measly 10 minutes we got (most of that filmed at Pinewood and around London).

#30 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

I'd prefer to see a limited range of locations as opposed to constant globe trotting (QOS) - more like the earlier Bond films (i.e. DN, FRWL, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, DAF) where the majority of the film would be spent in one country. This gives more time to immerse the audience in a foreign culture, and create an impression in one's mind. For example, I would have loved to have seen more of Shanghai in SF than the measly 10 minutes we got (most of that filmed at Pinewood and around London).

I agree, just one or two new locations to show off, there's no need to move around constantly.