5 replies to this topic

#1 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

I just read about this book. I didn't realize there was a poster book that came out along with the Movie Book. The Movie book by Hibbin was the first James Bond film book that I ever read.

Is the poster book worth tracking down?

Thanks!

#2 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Not really - especially with the 50th Anniv book available now.

Otherwise, for completists only

#3 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

The book covers the posters up to The Living Daylights, and although it only includes the most popular release posters, they are larger than the full-page posters in the recent 50th av book.

Hibbin's text - descriptions of the elements clearly visible on the facing page - are pretty pointless.

It's a pretty slim volume, but as Simon says, a must for collectors.

#4 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

I bought it in 1987 in London. It's a very simple release. Each Bond movie, from Dr. No to The Living Daylights, gets most of the times just one poster, and also most of the times the American one. So it's not realy a complete book to say at least. There is also an second version, which was released in 1989, that's just the same book with the LtK poster in the middle.

This book is not realy a must have, it's also very large, so a little difficult to store in your bookcase.

Never the less, a nice one to have in your collection.

#5 Dan Gale

Dan Gale

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

They were only the 1 sheets from the US, no UK quad posters (landscape) so it's a little limited in it's scope considering some of the posters were completely re-drawn for the quad market (For Your Eyes Only for example). But it was the first of it's kind and it showed some fo the unused posters for Octopussy and A View to a Kill which were very revealing, especially because of the book's size (43.4 x 29 x 0.8 cm). I agree the text opposite each poster should have been more informative, about the campaign or the artist, not the plot synopsis, but I didn't care back then!

51mTXoHzlbL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

#6 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for the posts. I'll probably pass then. I just ordered the DK James Bond posters book. Looking forward to reading that one and 007 James Bond Archives!