Mooraker laser rifle prop replica released

2 replies to this topic

#1 E S Blofeld

E S Blofeld

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

I just received my Moonraker laser rifle released by Factory Entertainment.  Overall I think it is a well made piece and I am looking forward to having it on display.  As near as I can tell it is true ot the film version, and has a nice weighty feel to it.  A few minor complaints, though -- the black stripes painted on the sides were not well done, and it would be nice if it had a plexiglass case over it.  I would imagine the screen used props were not well painted, but since these are replicas it would be nice to have the fit-and-finish a little higher quality.  And the display base is beveled and has a lip for a case/cover, but none was included.  Since it is white I am sure it will be a dust magnet, so a case will be a must.

Overall I am quite happy with it, though, and would recommend it.

(I took a couple pictures to attach, but for the life of me can't figure out how to do it...)

#2 Poor Man's JB

Poor Man's JB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Recently received one of these and, sadly, must report that it's one of the worst Bond-related investments I've ever made; for the money, this is pure crap: shoddy workmanship throughout, poor detailing, etc. Don't be fooled: the final product does not even remotely compare to the prototype used in the manufacturer's marketing images.

femrpistolortholores.th.jpg femrpistol3qtrlores.th.jpg femrpistolgriplores.th.jpg femrpistolmuzzlelores.th.jpg

[Click on any of the thumbnails for larger views.]

I get that this is supposed to replicate the prop but, truthfully, I think we all expect pieces like this (especially at this price point) to actually be a bit better than what was cranked out of the shed at Pinewood. Plus, I'm not buying that weight was added so as to offer realistic heft; no one is apt to be handling this (more in a moment) and if you're honestly replicating the prop, why bother? This thing is what it is: a giant slab of resin (and, as such, fairly fragile and a disaster if dropped). C'mon: couldn't they have at least made the muzzle light-up or something?

Edited by Poor Man's JB, 07 February 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#3 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for your honest opinion about this item. I was in doubt to buy this prop, or not.

I just have bought and recieved the golden gun prop, so another investment for such a huge price is not something to do easy.

I think I just be happy with my LoneStar Moonrake spacegun replica! ;)