67 replies to this topic

#61 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Unfortunate as it seems, all Bonds seemed to find their groove (with the audience) in their third movie.

Just like Brosnan with TWINE..... wait, that never happened.

#62 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Dalton's Bond is smart, loyal, sentimental, romantic (rather than smarmy), brave, and capable of ruthlessness when the circumstances warrant it.  He wasn't shown to be a bon vivant or share Bond's devotion to scrambled eggs, but he's still Fleming's Bond to me.

#63 ViperSRT87

ViperSRT87

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

I love his love for Dalton. But his analysis of the other Bonds is just rehashing things from websites like ours, including stuff that is just wrong. For example, saying Roger Moore´s portrayal of Bond was wrong because he wore a clown´s costume in OCTOPUSSY (as if that was Moore´s decision; and, frankly, it was a great idea to have a secret agent trying to warn the military that a nuclear bomb is about to explode - but nobody takes him seriously because he is dressed like a clown).

The clown bit in Octopussy didn't bug me. The Tarzan yell did and really brought me out of the movie.

Agreed. The clown suit bit worked because of the points SecretAgentFan made, but yes the Tarzan yell was way too campy and disengaging.

I loved the article as well. I have been a big fan of Dalton for awhile and after re-watching all of the Bonds recently I still feel he is the best overall Bond. 

#64 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

Re: TMWGG. I must have missed Fleming's research on midgets, flying cars, schoolgirls doing Kung Fu, and redneck sheriffs doing barrel rolls with a slide whistle when I was going through his archives and manuscripts. Perhaps I wasn't trying hard enough?

Let me further explicate. The five minutes from TMWTGG I referred to and I believe Jim was referring to was the scene where Bond slaps Andrea around.

Found Jim's exact words at http://debrief.comma...bond/?p=1088872

This aside, there's more of Fleming's Bond in five minutes of Bond meeting Andrea Anders for the first time in The Man with the Golden Gun than there is in four hours or so of Timothy Dalton's Bond.

#65 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

Put down your crack pipe, lol. 

timothy-dalton-james-bond-timothy-dalton

LOL. Reminds me of those Chuck Norris jokes sorta. 

#66 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

I agree Dalton is one of the best Bond actors(the other being Daniel Craig). I've said for years that Dalton made Bond into a more tougher Bond rather than the suave, slick style of Connery & Moore(probably was ok for that era). Dalton made me like the Bond character more with his style. In the 80's action movies were more hard core , and Dalton was a hard core Bond. Much respect for Dalton recreating Bond the way he should've always been played.

Edited by jmarks4life, 30 May 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#67 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

I love Dalton's portrayal and I love that image! It's so true Daniel Craig can never be that bad ass.

#68 ViperSRT87

ViperSRT87

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

Most people when they think of the image of James Bond go right to Connery. This is totally understandable as he was the original and did an incredible job in the role. However for me when I think of a look or style for Bond I go to Timothy Dalton. I really think his portrayal was the best. Speaking strictly of his performance I feel he exhibited the perfect blend of emotion, hardcore action, and humor. Above all I feel he establishes the most human of the Bonds and I think that is important when being interested in a character be it real of fiction. I like Daniel Craig, but I feel even he has not hit this point as Dalton has. He is close especially with his performance in Skyfall, but for me personally he still doesn't overtake Dalton.