This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Martin McDonagh (In Bruges) For Director?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

I'd really love to see him work his delicate magic on a Bond film, especially now Sam Mendes has really opened up the style with Skyfall. I feel McDonagh is in many respects on a par with Mendes, yet with his own special touch as well. I love In Bruges and think he could certainly handle the higher octane action pieces of a Bond picture very well also.

Oh and if you haven't seen In Bruges give it a watch, it's a a gem - brilliant black comedy drama.

#2 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Nice idea. IN BRUGES is one of my favourite comedies, and I've been looking forward to watch McDonagh's SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS. I think he'd be a left-field, curveball choice, but one I'd be particularly enthusiastic to see.

#3 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Seven Psychopaths is great Vauxhall, made it in my top 10 for 2012. I'd be up for him in the future. I'm curious to see what he would bring to the table.

#4 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

IN BRUGES and SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS prove that he should stick to the stage.

#5 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

I've only seen IN BRUGES, liked it quite some. Can't say I see what would suggest McDonagh should keep himself occupied with stage productions. I suppose one ought to have seen one of his plays first to get a proper idea there. That said I can't claim he's a director I would think of for Bond, certainly not from IN BRUGES.  

#6 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Can he write witty dialogue without swearing though? In Bruges did win many awards for convincing people using the "C" word repeatedly is great writing.

#7 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Can he write witty dialogue without swearing though? In Bruges did win many awards for convincing people using the "C" word repeatedly is great writing.

Well, IN BRUGES concerns itself mainly with some characters whose idea of 'talk' is depicted in just that way, so I don't think this would necessarily transmit into a Bond screenplay; different world entirely.

#8 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

Well, he'd work with a principal screenwriter on a Bond film. I'm sure he'd have some good input in a Bond script along with Daniel Craig and the rest. I doubt he'd make that input swear words. Incidentally, it's just as difficult to write genuinely witty dialogue using swear words as any other words. If you use them poorly it's even more obvious how badly written it is. He just used those tools for those characters and it worked brilliantly.

#9 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

Well, he'd work with a principal screenwriter on a Bond film. I'm sure he'd have some good input in a Bond script along with Daniel Craig and the rest. I doubt he'd make that input swear words. Incidentally, it's just as difficult to write genuinely witty dialogue using swear words as any other words. If you use them poorly it's even more obvious how badly written it is. He just used those tools for those characters and it worked brilliantly.

Agreed.

#10 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Let's say the rating doesn't hold him back it's like Shane Black or Joss Whedon made a Bond movie, How do we make sure he doesn't ruin it by casting his favourite actor in any role?

#11 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

Armando Iannucci for Bond 25.

#12 FutureJamesBond

FutureJamesBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Then we can get the new M (Ralph Fiennes, who was in In Bruges) to yell, "YOU'RE AN INANIMATE F**KING OBJECT!"

#13 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Then we can get the new M (Ralph Fiennes, who was in In Bruges) to yell, "YOU'RE AN INANIMATE F**KING OBJECT!"

That would be absolutely hysterical!