James Bond 50th Anniversary Trading Cards Review

3 replies to this topic

#1 nickjb007

nickjb007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

Well I picked up a box of series one from Ebay last week. The only other set of trading cards I had was from TWINE.  I like the Dr. No cards the rest are okay I'm not a big fan of more than half of the front card being gold and a picture of a character or scene being in a gun barrel.  Card doesn't really show much.  I'm not sure if I will purchase series two but since I got series one I might as well complete the set and a 50th anniversary is only going to come around once in a lifetime.  Also, must say the autograph cards in the box were hilarious, while deep in my mind like a child I was hoping for a rare card instead I got Sharky from LTK (which I'm glad to have), Scarpine from AVTAK (umm okay)d and a duty officer from GE (who??) I think it was the guy who handed the General the Goldeneye key.  The duty officer was really funny because I opened the set with my fiance and I just didn't know who the actor was and the fact that the character didn't even have a name in GE. Anyone else have any views on the series?

#2 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

I've collected most of the Bond trading card series that have been released over the years. But in the last couple I've really backed off of them just due to burnout and plain loss of interest. Not the least of which is the albums I keep them in tend to take up a lot of bookshelf space and I really don't look at these that ofteb. Collecting the trading cards is a lot like collecting the various die-cast cars., As a collector, I wonder how many of these we need.

Part of my loss of interest comes from my disappointment that there were no full sets for CR, QoS and now SF, but were represented in subsets and inclusion in the main set. I can understand a 50th anniversary set capturing the whole series, that's acceptable, except in light of how many other sets have already more than represented the history of the series. 

While the autograph and chase cards are fun, I can understand your amusement with the minor actor. They do have autographed cards of some of the bigger names - Moore, Lazenby, Craig and people like Honor Blackman, Shirley Eaton and others. But the majority are people who had non-speaking or very minor roles.

I was really into the relic cards when they came out and collected those seriously. I was especially thrilled to get a piece of Craig's CR tux shirt with a bit of dried blood on it. But I haven't pursued any of those in the last 3 or so series. eBay is a good source for these, but at collectors shows most of the dealers are really rigid on their prices.

#3 Rik

Rik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

The new set Autographs and relics looks really good to me. The Relic cards in particular look extremely good. 

http://www.scifihobb...FTOKEN=51173763

I started collecting with the 50th Anniversary cards as well, but will continue with this set (mainly for the relics)

#4 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

Just wonder what big retail chains are selling them. The district  I live in, in my city don't really have much mom and pop comic book stores. It near none for the last 5 years. There use to be a mom and pop store that sold alot of different sports and nonsports cards and no comic books. But it closed like 14 or 15 years ago.