YOLT dvd

3 replies to this topic

#1 FireKiss

FireKiss

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 12:21 PM

We just got the YOLT dvd and although the documentary was fantastic, I'm not happy with the 'widescreen' picture shape. It shows up as the same ratios as the early Dr.No, FRWL, Goldfinger picture, which I think was called the 'Empire' format 1:75 - 1. YOLT is of course 2:35 - 1, and much wider, but unless there's some button i'm not pushing, its definately not displaying in the standard widescreen of Panavision which all bonds are in apart from above three, LALD, and MWTGG. Can anyone help or verify this please?

#2 5 BONDS

5 BONDS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 02:22 PM

hi fan

First of all if you have a widescreen tv and if the film is displayed as 1.85 it will fill the screen totally but if you are playing through a 4.3 tv and the set up is 16.9 it will stretch the picture making it look like 1.85 picture. If it was 2.35 then you should have two slim black bars top and bottom. Automatically if you know how the film is presented then probally the film has been released in the wrong format.

Let me know your setup .

#3 Roukey2

Roukey2

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 02:49 PM

All depends on how you set up your widescreen tv (if you have one),
But I am sure you know how your tv works.
And you are of coarse correct about the other films ratios so they probebly have released it in the wrong format.

#4 FireKiss

FireKiss

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for your comments, we do use a widescreen T.V. (best way to watch any great film!) What I always do is put a widescreen film onto cinema picture - but in the case of YOLT (dvd) it fills up virtually the whole screen, which is fine with Dr.No etc. etc. as I mentioned, but it can't be right for this film because as we all know its a 2.35:1. All other films I have with this ratio still leave bars top and bottom after i've put on the 'cinema' picture, but this doesn't - weird, and It did spoil my enjoyment of an otherwise excellent disc. I should point out i'm a widescreen nerd!, and simply have to have this on all video films and dvd's.