4 replies to this topic

#1 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Not sure if anyone has seen this for sale.  Cinema Retro's Movie Classic series has been complemented by a study of Dr No, courtesy of Lee Pfeiffer and gang (inc. Steven Oxenrider).

It has just arrived and appears to be an exhaustive look at the film - 148 pages of exhaustion to be precise.

It was available on ebay but 100 have sold in mere days.

#2 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

I was able to snatch one up at a bookseller. I had to take a chance in wondering if they'd receive copies and I grabbed it on sight and it's waiting for Christmas. I've had to settle for the contents description Cinema Retro has up on its website.

Now we can expect one for each successive film, I hope. :)

#3 nickjb007

nickjb007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Simon thanks for posting about the magazine. I just picked up a copy off eBay

#4 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Have just finished the above mentioned magazine and I am exhausted, by the thoroughly exhaustive amount of work that must have gone into the production of this 148 page epic.

While different in scope to the 007 Archives magazine for Dr No, both production units managed to unearth, track down and locate for interview some of the most obscure names to have been involved with the making of this film.  Again I find myself asking, Where do they find these people?  And to be frank, I am amazed so many are still with us to this day.  To wit, one of the Three Blind Mice and of most interest to me, Joanna Harwood, co-script writer for Dr No, who gave a delightful perspective on her involvement and her co-operation with those around her, and also mentioning that even though Dr No was a success, the powers that be had no idea why, as the film was somehow received differently to how it was intended.

People laughed, when they shouldn't have.  All of which made them have another long hard look at how the script for Russia was shaping up for how it should Now, heretofore, maybe, be received.

Another article of particular interest to me was the piece on German lobby cards.  I am a collector of all the English language lobby / FOH cards for this series and I was very happy to be introduced to the rigours of the German challenge.  I thought the card counts for the MGM 1984 re-releases were a challenge.  Not so when compared to the various releases and obscure card counts for the early Bonds.  Fascinating.

As above, this product weighs in at a hefty 148 pages and in my opinion could quite easily have been more.  Said only because I feel the point sizes of the fonts were microscopic and I am wondering if this was due to trying to reduce the page count.  Or maybe this says more about my eyesight...?

A genuine success.  Well done to all.

#5 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with Simon's praise for this issue.  Very well done indeed.