5 replies to this topic

#1 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:30 PM

I don't know how many..or even if any of you are fans of manga or anime, but thanks to the magic of Netflix I've discovered the Golgo 13 collection and I must say that Golgo is a monster of an assassin who probably could give Bond a run for his money. I do like the way Togo deals with the "left as well as the right" regarding his clients. But in all honesty he's still a villain, as much as our beloved Simon Templar is a vigilante.

The Golgo 13 series have been in publication since 1969, and he's got some adventures in anime and two videogames on the old NES system.

All in all the anime series is pretty cool, and definitely intended for a mature audience.

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

From what I've read it seems Takao Saito, the creator of Golgo 13, was even commissioned in the 60's to officially adapt Bond for manga format. How extraordinary, I had no idea there ever was a manga Bond.

#3 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:49 PM

I have heard of Golgo 13 since the early 90s. Then the movies was not out on video yet and not TV series dubbed in english. Only the Japanese video stores here in the U.S. had them and they were subtitled. He is one of my favorite comic book characters other then the Punisher and Nick Fury. Now a days not that into Batman Superman, Spiderman, Iron Man, Captian America, the Hulk, Green Arrow, Flash and so on.

#4 The Girl With The Golden Gun

The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Location:Deep inside my hollowed out volcano...in the South of England!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

Any Manga fans out there on the forums will no doubt recognise Takao Saito's "Golgo 13" as Japan's answer to James Bond 007.

Apparently, in the mid-late 60's Saito created his own James Bond manga -  

https://twitter.com/...9331585/photo/1

does anyone know if this has been published in the US/UK?

Thanks!

#5 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

Mod note: merged this with an older thread on the same topic.

Peter Lorenz has a couple of images of Saito's THUNDERBALL and OHMSS adaptations on his "Illustrated 007" blog. Apparently extremely rare, so I doubt they were ever published in the US or Great Britain. Collectors seem to mainly get them from Nipponese auctions, and then with a go-between.

Edited by Dustin, 11 December 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#6 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Odd how the Manga Bond and Golgo look similar. If only a Bond Manga would be put into actual publication.