This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Should Daniel Craig have received a producer credit?

4 replies to this topic

#1 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

I feel that Craig's contributions to Skyfall were far more than lead actor. It was through him that we got Sam Mendes and I remember reading that he was instrumental in getting Bardem on board too.

Craig has also put a lot of work into the story side too, brainstorming ideas with Mendes, even when the film was on hiatus and they weren't sure it was going to be made at all.

I hope that in Bond 24, if his contributions are as significant, he is given a co-producer or associate producer credit on the film as he should have been with Skyfall.

#2 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

I don't think we can demand that based on some PR fluff.

#3 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

Not he shouldn't get a producer's credit until he's fronting up his own money. Executive producer would be the most that anyone other than Babs and Mike should expect.

Is he deserving of a credit? That's a different argument. But for 17million a movie, I'm not sure how he's listed is really an issue. I definitely feel that EON definitely want their lead actor to have input in the creative process but how much is anyone's guess. I do feel they have great respect for DC and I sense that EON currently have plenty of self-confidence and belief in how they're currently moving the franchise forward, and the validation of casting DC (when conventional wisdom was in the opposite direction) has put the producers in a strong place with their business partners.

#4 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Plankattack is right on the money - producers handle the administrative and money side and Craig didn't front any money.

Craig happily admits that both suggestions were made while inebriated at a party - and God knows what would happen if drunken party ramblings led to producer credits.

While it is cool and interesting that Craig was the first to approach Mendes and Bardem about Skyfall - both men are talented Oscar winners - asking them to participate in a movie isn't exactly risky is it?  Quite the opposite in fact.  Its a no-brainer.

If Craig had plucked a director and actor from obscurity, fought tooth and nail for their participation against a studio who didn't want them, paid salaries, etc. out of his own pocket - then yea, give him a producer credit.

And always remember that Bond is a series - if they give Craig a producer credit, whatever actor follows him would demand the same billing.

If Eon didn't make Connery a producer, I seriously doubt that they will ever make that offer to any subsequent actor.

#5 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

I agree with what everyone else has said.