22 replies to this topic

#1 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:32 AM

According to Boyd, in his novel Bond is dealing with approaching the age of mandatory retirement and "an ordinary assignment that goes horribly wrong." While I highly doubt it could be an adaptation of Skyfall set in 1969 it got me thinking. '69 was the year that ARPANET was launched (what is collectively known now as the INTERNET). So, obviously it would need some changes, but with a restructured story, Skyfall could work in 1969. Here's some of the things that I could see being changed:

Spoiler

However, much of the story would not have to change. You could still have the scenes in Istanbul, the London metro system, and Scotland. I think it could serve as a both an end and a new beginning to the Fleming incarnation of 007 and also a great way to transition the Fleming Bond from the '60s to the '70s.

Edited by seawolfnyy, 06 December 2012 - 06:31 AM.

#2 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:37 AM

Definitely can be set in 60s since the plot is good enough to change to that time, maybe Silva revenge would be changed to betrayed to the Germans or something in WWII. Q giving Bond something else instead of signature gun, but pretty much everything is the same. Except that M would be male and Sir Miles Messey 

Edited by 007jamesbond, 06 December 2012 - 04:42 AM.

#3 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

As far as Silva's 'inside man' goes, you could make the beginning of the film more of a straight adaptation of Fleming's TMWTGG and have a brainwashed Bond be the one to carry out the attack.

#4 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

As far as Silva's 'inside man' goes, you could make the beginning of the film more of a straight adaptation of Fleming's TMWTGG and have a brainwashed Bond be the one to carry out the attack.

Could be interesting, but I was talking more along the lines of a novel set in Fleming's timeline as opposed to a film set in 1969.

Also, instead of Patrice, the one who steals the list could be the inside man, but he isn't caught as the only one who can identify him is Bond. And since he disappears after he is shot, the inside man could return to MI6 unknown.

#5 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:12 AM

Could be interesting, but I was talking more along the lines of a novel set in Fleming's timeline as opposed to a film set in 1969.

Ah, I apologize. I missed the bit about SKYFALL '69 as an end and new beginning to Fleming's version of Bond.

But it is fun to imagine Sean Connery in EON's SKYFALL (1969), isn't it?

#6 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:30 AM

True, very true. I think in the film sense, Skyfall could be placed after OHMSS. In this way, Bond could be using Silva to get to Blofeld to get revenge for Tracy's death much in the way Bond uses Greene to get to Kabira in QoS.

Also, I noticed my wording did make it seem a like I could have been talking about a film in 1969 so I updated it.

Edited by seawolfnyy, 06 December 2012 - 06:32 AM.

#7 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

As far as the logistics, Macau and Shanghai could still definitely work; the silhouette fight would just have to be filmed using some different lighting against a non-transparent surface.

And Q could definitely still direct Bond, though with the earpiece and a schematic of the tube instead of an online version.

#8 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

I don't mean to derail the original purpose of the thread, but, if we were talking about a 1969 SKYFALL movie, I imagine the scene in which Bond and M abandon the Jaguar would have Bond throwing open the door of his garage and unveiling this beauty.

#9 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

Now I'm sure that would be totally inconspicuous.

#10 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Who needs an inside man? Silva's mayhem is largely accomplished with explosives and radio, two technologies which had reached maturity by 1969. I can readily imagine a jet-age version of Silva executing an almost identical scheme. Instead of hacking into a computer system, he would use Cold War techniques, like high-frequency air defense broadcasting and HUMINT-based cryptography. Rather than switch on the gas, he would broadcast a signal to one of Q's remote mines, causing it to explode in the armory. This explosion would ignite other volatile substances, including a big tank of shmoked shalmon, thereby blowing the whole building to smithereens. (Such an attack would have the added advantage of vaporizing Q, upping the dramatic stakes and mercifully cutting short Desmond L's reign of shticky terror.) After Silva's capture, he would escape from his holding cell using a similar technique, except that his broadcasts would be hooked up to a carefully clocked time delay. Perhaps he would trick a NATO bomber pilot (Shane Rimmer impersonating Slim Pickens) into making a bogus air strike on the prison, thus creating an opportunity for him to escape.

Whatever the details of his scheme, Silva would be played by Anthony Quinn. That's for damn sure.

#11 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Bond would be using the Aston Martin DB Mark III. Not the Bentley, although it's a neat touch.

Silva as an operative for S.P.E.C.T.R.E. is a great Idea. It might have been cool to have him as part of the Quantum organization if the writers allowed for it.

#12 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

Who needs an inside man? Silva's mayhem is largely accomplished with explosives and radio, two technologies which had reached maturity by 1969. I can readily imagine a jet-age version of Silva executing an almost identical scheme. Instead of hacking into a computer system, he would use Cold War techniques, like high-frequency air defense broadcasting and HUMINT-based cryptography. Rather than switch on the gas, he would broadcast a signal to one of Q's remote mines, causing it to explode in the armory. This explosion would ignite other volatile substances, including a big tank of shmoked shalmon, thereby blowing the whole building to smithereens. (Such an attack would have the added advantage of vaporizing Q, upping the dramatic stakes and mercifully cutting short Desmond L's reign of shticky terror.) After Silva's capture, he would escape from his holding cell using a similar technique, except that his broadcasts would be hooked up to a carefully clocked time delay. Perhaps he would trick a NATO bomber pilot (Shane Rimmer impersonating Slim Pickens) into making a bogus air strike on the prison, thus creating an opportunity for him to escape.

Whatever the details of his scheme, Silva would be played by Anthony Quinn. That's for damn sure.

Could definitely work. That would create a new way for Ben Whishaw's character (obviously recast) to be promoted to Quartermaster.

#13 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Wow, a young Quinn does look a lot like Bardem.

#14 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

1960s-STYLE SKYFALL POSTER

Are we not allowed to embed images anymore?

#15 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Woah - that's beautiful, really like that one - got a superb retro FRWL vibe.

#16 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Woah - that's beautiful, really like that one - got a superb retro FRWL vibe.

Agreed; much better than any of the official posters for the film. 

#17 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

I think the obvious exchange would be using Mary Goodnight (as played by Britt Ekland) in the place of Eve Moneypenny.

Although this might require briefly sidelining Moneypenny - perhaps she's injured in the bombing of MI6 - and M's new temporary assistant is Mary Goodnight, pretty but inept. Bond would not have worked with her before - the pretitle sequence would have worked out somewhat differently in this version, I imagine, perhaps playing out on the top of a train in the Alps (and not across Istanbul and onto the train) with Bond ultimately failing his duties and the thief of the paperwork getting away in a crowded, smoke filled train station in Zurich (perhaps).

Goodnight's thread in the film is therefore the reverse of Eve's - after her brief sojourn into the field to assist Bond (in the Macau equivalent), she comes to the realisaiton that she isn't satisfied with a desk job in London and requests deployment to a station to be someone's assistant. It would also mesh with how we saw her portrayed in The Man With the Golden Gun - ditzy but at least somewhat capable.

I'd imagine the Severine role would need beefed up. I can't imagine the role of a Bond girl in a sixties era Bond film to be permissably so slight - especially with the similarly slight role of Moneypenny/Goodnight.

#18 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

Good ideas, terminus.

How about the issue of M's fate? I can't exactly picture Connery/Lazenby cradling a dying Bernard Lee in his arms. 

I would be opposed to Boothroyd being killed in the MI6 explosion, although it's fun to imagine who would play a young "hipster" Q in  1969. 

#19 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

I think the Shanghai/Macau scenes could be reworked as Saigon and Cambodia to fit in with the Vietnam War time. In this way, Severine would contact Silva instead of taking Bond to his place by boat and Bond would be blindfolded by Silva's men and driven into the Cambodian jungle. As for M's death, I could see Connery or Lazenby propping a dying Bernard Lee up against one of the pews in the chapel and kneeling by him instead of cradling him in his arms.

#20 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Although this might require briefly sidelining Moneypenny - perhaps she's injured in the bombing of MI6

I think the easiest solution would be to have Moneypenny take Tanner's place, doing pretty much everything he does in the film. Perhaps there could even be some workplace competition between her and Goodnight as they both vie for Bond's affections?

I can easily picture Lois Maxwell's Moneypenny tearfully typing up 007's obituary as M issues his words to her in his office, or even just tasking Moneypenny with writing it herself. After all, could Lee's M really be bothered with such sentimental rubbish? ;)

#21 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

Bond would be using the Aston Martin DB Mark III. Not the Bentley, although it's a neat touch.

Silva as an operative for S.P.E.C.T.R.E. is a great Idea. It might have been cool to have him as part of the Quantum organization if the writers allowed for it.

Re: Silva and Quantum - although SF is billed as a standalone story, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if some connection between Silva and that organsiation is revealed in a future Daniel Craig Bond movie, with Silva shown to have been a one man weapon of mass destruction aimed at MI6 in general and M in particular, in retribution for the undoing of Quantum's previous enterprises. I suspect that if this does happen, this revelation will be saved for Bond's final confrontation with the shadowy head of SPECTRE (sorry, did I type "SPECTRE"? I meant "Quantum" of course......! ;) )

#22 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

In GF Bond mentions driving a Bentley, the car which is replaced by the DB5.

#23 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Apologies, I was thinking of Goldfinger the novel.