This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Room for a James Bond Literary Continuation 1966-2013 book?

6 replies to this topic

#1 The Gunner

The Gunner

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

Is there room for a Literary James Bond Continuation behind-the-scenes book from c.1966-2013 out there?

It would cover Amis/Markham/Pearson/Wood/Gardner/CalderMarshall/Benson/Faulks/Higson/Boyd/Deaver etc. and would tell the behind-the-scenes-history of the whole Continuation.

Would anyone like to see/read such a book if it was published or are the parameters too specific for a James Bond general readership and audience.

The Gunner.

#2 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

You bet!

I've said before that I think there was a lot more going on at IFP between 1966 and 1981 then they've ever let on.

Don't believe me?

Before the advent of the internet only a handful (and I do mean handful) of fans worldwide knew about Geoffrey Jenkins' book. Not many knew about Calder-Marshall's James Bond Jr. book - Raymond Benson's JB Bedside Companion doesn't even mention the book. I don't know this for a fact but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even know the book existed when he published his guide back in 1984. James Leasor claims he was asked to write Bond after Fleming's death. I wouldn't be surprised if feelers were put out to other writers between 1964 and 1979.

How much else is there that we still don't know about?

...and there's that mysterious shortlist of six thriller writers IFP drew up in '79 when searching for a full-time continuation author. Somebody I spoke to claims that Peter Janson-Smith may have implied that James Leasor was one of the names on that shortlist. The chap who told me this had once asked Janson-Smith about Leasor's claim to have been asked to write Bond circa 65. Janson-Smith didn't know anything about it and thought the chap referred to '79 and said John [Gardner] was the only one we contacted.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

I would be very interested in that.

I did a behind-the-scenes series on the Young Bond books on my blog.
http://www.thebookbo...james-bond.html

#4 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:35 AM

I did a behind-the-scenes series on the Young Bond books on my blog.
http://www.thebookbo...james-bond.html

It was nice to go back and re-read that, Zencat! Particularly in light of SKYFALL's focus on Bond's past. Absolutely makes me want to re-visit Young Bond!

#5 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Absolutely, that would be an interesting book for sure!

#6 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

"The Gunner" didn't last long. His account is now "inactive". Don't suppose the mods want to shed light on that. No? Didn't think so.

#7 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Count me in as another one who would be very interested in such a book. A novel idea I must say. :)