This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

21 years ago today Rock and Roll lost it's nicest guy...

4 replies to this topic

#1 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

21 years ago today we lost one of the nicest guys ever in the music business - Eric Carr of KISS. He was humble, friendly, and caring - and he had a great sense of humor! He lost his battle with a rare form of cancer, but his fans will never forget him.

Posted Image

I had the opportunity to meet Eric in January, 1990, and I can tell you he really was an incredibly nice guy. I met him at the NAMM convention that year and he was by far the nicest, most respectful, "Rock Star," there (and there were plenty of Rock Stars there, there always are at the NAMM show). He was just another fan, but one who got a great gig in 1980 - and he never forgot that. He always treated the fans with kindness and good humor.

He has definitely been missed for the last 21 years.

Here's a track that he submitted to the band in 1989 that didn't make that year's KISS album (but definitely should have)...

#2 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Oh.. that's depressing. R.I.P Kiss was good classic rock.

#3 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

On the exact same day as Freddie Mercury no less! Not exactly a good day for rock music. Both are legends in their own right. Carr is one of the few replacement KISS members to earn unanimous respect from fans and critics alike. His drum sound on the Creatures of the Night album still blows my mind to this day.

I wish he got to sing more on KISS albums - off hand I think there was only Little Caesar and that re-recording of Beth for Smashes, Thrashes, and Hits. Live he got to do Young & Wasted and Black Diamond, which was enough to show off that crazy, wild and raspy voice he had. Considering Gene's backseat involvement with the band in the eighties, it would have been an ideal time to let Eric sing some more.

#4 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Eric Carr is one of my favorite drummers of all time, may he rest in piece.

#5 The Gunner

The Gunner

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

KISS stands for Kids in Satan's Service - fact.