This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Timothy Dalton: One of the best bonds? After Sean Connery?

62 replies to this topic

#61 Mallory

Mallory

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

Wouldn't Hopkins be too old for a 00? 

Dalton deserved to do other films. He was a wasted opportunity. The people seemed to have wanted Brosnan instead of a Bond who would be more human yet more ruthless. We wouldn't get crap like TND if we had Dalton. Dalton would have inspired better writing.

I am glad they went that better actor route with Daniel Craig, his films wouldn't be half as good if the writers didn't think he'd had potential. He even did a few rewrites on QoS because tthey were given a shitty script.

The stuff from Skyfall, all pioneered by Dalton. The irony is that Human Bond starts with George Lazenby. Connery probably would have wanted to be more human if he wasn't restricted. Watch the scene in Thunderball when he puts on sunglasses to hide his emotions when Domino talks about her brother. After that Connery looks like a Vulcan.

Dalton deserved at least three more films.

Edited by Mallory, 29 December 2012 - 05:57 AM.

#62 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:04 AM

I think the character would have been tweaked a bit if Hopkins had taken it.  I think it would have been more of a character who had been a Double-oh some years prior and who had been a mentor of sorts for Bond.

#63 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

I think the character would have been tweaked a bit if Hopkins had taken it. I think it would have been more of a character who had been a Double-oh some years prior and who had been a mentor of sorts for Bond.

A surviving Kerim Bey type, a head of station or something in that vein. Which Hopkins would have been splendid in. But the problem would have been he might have been too close to an M figure. Whether the gap had come or not, whether they went with Dench or Brown, in any case Hopkins would have looked as if he was a rival for that post. But then again that may have given his Trevelyan a better motivation than Bean's had, who we never are really sure as to why he turned freelance. The motivations alluded in the film - and to some extent expanded in Gardner's tie-in - are completely contradictory and make no sense at all for the character.