#1 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

No, really, she is.

First she takes a lot of professional blame for missing an impossible shot, after taking it under orders and against her best judgement. Then the bloke she thought she had killed in friendly fire comes back from the dead to tease her about her maksmanship, and she just introduces herself as "the one who should apologize". Ain't that a good fellow?

Is she, really, the one who should apologize?
I don't know how you feel, but in her situation, if a colleague had let me believe I had killed him forv months - and if he had done so with no better reason than he was too busy sulking on a beach because "Mummy was very bad" to him, I don't think "sorry" would be the first word that would come to my mind. Nope.

That's one thing I don't really like about the treatment of Eve's character: she does not really do anything wrong, but takes a lot of blame, and finally leaves field service under the assumption that "it's not for everyone". Actually, I have seen no evidence that it's not for her, and I don't see where this sudden love for secretarial work is coming from.

But for all his teasing - and not apologizing - it seems to me Bond does acknowledge her value, and the fact that her shooting him was not her fault. That's (among other things) how I understand the shaving scene, where he symbolically accepts to put his life in her hands again.

Any thought?

#2 Cabarita Island

Cabarita Island

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

I don't buy the moneypenny was a field agent angle. It just doesn't sit right with me.
I think the shaving scene was aimed at setting up a historical context for the sexual tension, flirtation and teasing in future movies.

#3 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

I don't see what is so hard to believe. Old-school Moneypenny certainly looked nothing like a former field agent, but this is 2012 and Naomi Harris definitely can pull off the look. I liked the shaving scene quite a bit. I recall one media outlet saying Harris and Craig had "virtually no chemistry," but I think the reviewer is just blind or doesn't want to see it for some reason.

#4 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

Indeed, Eve seems to get the short end of the stick, despite her being a most resourceful operative.

#5 SolidWaffle

SolidWaffle

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

I think the dialogue between her and Bond - which I think is really good - shows us that she isn't being blamed TOO much. After all, she did pull the trigger. But I think it's clear that Bond has moved past that, certainly by the end.

#6 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

In the end she's a civil servant inside a bureaucratic institution. Whenever such a body encounters a failure somebody's got to take the blame. As she's the only one (that we know of) left of the Istambul assignment she is just the natural target. It's almost commendable that in SKYFALL's case the hunt for a sacrificial lamb goes on right into the head-of-service's office, albeit with the promise of a cover-up and a nice public bowing out and a knighthood to top it off, should she agree to comply. From personal experience I can assure you this is exactly how such matters are dealt with, perfectly realistic scenario.

#7 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

You're certainly right, Dustin!
What struck me on my latest screening is that she does not seem angry with Bond at all. I would find this totally understandable, if a colleague lets you think you have killed him by accident. It's after all quite a trauma for the shooter, and it was certainly not very nice from Bond to let her stew.

#8 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

Phew, true. On the other hand - had he contacted her he'd have put her in an even more perilous position, she would have had to report and Bond's days on the beach would have been considerably less entertaining, and a lot shorter.

#9 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

Phew, true. On the other hand - had he contacted her he'd have put her in an even more perilous position, she would have had to report and Bond's days on the beach would have been considerably less entertaining, and a lot shorter.

Indeed! But this leads us to (yet another) plot hole: why does Bond go to the ground instead of just giving M a piece of his mind before resigning properly? 00s are certainly allowed to resign/retire if they want out, after all, there's no obvious reason for Bond to hide from his own side. That's why I refer to him as "sulking" when he enjoys death. That's also why I find Mallory's question ("Why not stay dead?") bizarre: why should an agent who has nothing against him prefer a lousy, fugitive life rather than regular resignation?
But that's probably another debate, for the plot holes thread :)

#10 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

I agree, Eve should have been at least peeved at Bond when he returned from his long, self-indulgent absence. Her apology feels groveling and undeserved, since Bond injured her deliberately, or at least knowingly, while she merely injured him accidentally. By lying low, he allowed her to absorb the repercussions of the entire failed operation. What if he'd come back and found out that Eve had been fired and moved back in with her mother? I guess he would have made a quip, like "Got the Eve-ho, did she?" To be clear, it's Eve's apology that rings false. Bond's behavior is entirely true to character. Let Severine get shot, let Eve take the heat.

#11 dogmanstar

dogmanstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

That's one thing I don't really like about the treatment of Eve's character: she does not really do anything wrong, but takes a lot of blame, and finally leaves field service under the assumption that "it's not for everyone".

Cool questions. It's sort of implied, though, that she backs the 'wrong' political horse--Mallory--which at that point in the movie couldn't have endeared her to Judi Dench's M. So, like every workplace, there's some office politics going on perhaps?

Edited by dogmanstar, 15 November 2012 - 05:58 PM.

#12 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

I figured she only met Mallory after being reassigned.

#13 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

I agree, Eve should have been at least peeved at Bond when he returned from his long, self-indulgent absence.

Absolutely agreed! Bond has been through a rough experience and one can't really expect him to apologize after being shot, but Eve is really too nice to him.

I figured she only met Mallory after being reassigned.

That's my take too. But actually it made me think of something: what if she had been reassigned as Mallory's assistant on purpose by M, to keep a discreet eye on him? After all M has no reason whatsoever to distrust Eve - she, unlike Bond, has always followed orders... - and it might be convenient to make Eve appear as a disgraced field agent, who would gain Mallory's trust because she could not be suspected of entertaining an inappropriate loyalty to a (disgraced) M who would have reassigned her unfairly, if you see what I mean?

#14 201050

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Honestly, the relationship between Moneypenny and 007 is one of the highlights of the film for me. Particularly when they first see each other again a few months later. That whole scene is perfect - "In your defense, a moving target is harder to hit"...."then you better keep moving". They have a wonderful, clever rapport and I'm glad it's understood that the entire Istanbul operation went nothing like either of them wanted. Bond knows the shot wasn't her call and she seems genuinely glad to be around him again.

Her transition to M's office worked very well for me also. She'd been through a very tough situation, had time to ponder his advice after the reassignment, been in the field a second time - and again seeing how dangerous it really is - so she takes his advice. All of it was expertly handled and fit exactly how I would have wanted it to play out.

I LOVE that she's part of the series now. Plus, with field experience she'll be able to play a bigger role in future films.

#15 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:20 AM

Same I loved their flirtation and they actually had a lot of chemistry too which is good to see. I mean I didn't really think about how she would feel just because in the film it didn't really deem important.

#16 Animal Clans

Animal Clans

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

With this whole "Moneypenny as former field agent" angle, I could see Eve sort of acting like MI6 security or M's personal bodyguard in future films, and not just his secretary, roles that should require mininal action if any.

#17 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

As I was watching Die Another Day last night, I tried to imagine Samantha Bond and Pierce Brosnan in the pretitles. As good as a Moneypenny as Sam was, I just can't picture her out on the field.

I did however, find it easier to picture Dalton and Caroline Bliss in a similar situation.

#18 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

I could see Caroline Bliss, but yeah the Moneypenny in the Brosnan films.. no. I like that take on it though, I think it is way cooler to picture Moneypenny as a field agent and not just a secretary.