This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Why they dont use ex-colonial countries in 007 movies ?

12 replies to this topic

#1 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

I wonder why they dont use British ex-colonial countries in 007 movies. Canada, Australia, S. Africa, most of Africa, Belize, Falkland, Cyprus, Malta, New Zealand etc. is it for purpose ?

#2 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

I don't think there is any deliberate reason why they aren't used. I imagine, given time, that some of those you listed will pop up in a Bond movie if the story allows it.

#3 double-oh-seven

double-oh-seven

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

i think africa could make a great place for a bond film. for example have a organization like smersh using a dimond mine in seira leone to fund an operation to purchase nuclear weapons from iranians in order to start a world war 3 in which they could gain control.then have 007 go to seira leone to gather intelligence on the mine the workers and the leader, then the leader could go to iran to buy the weapons and 007 coand team up with mosad agents to get the leader by any means possible. i dont know if its just me but i think that would be pretty good for james bond film.

#4 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

It's odd Australia hasn't been used especially since one Bond actor is Australian. Bond was supposed to be sent to Canada in TB, before he convinced M to send him to the Bahamas. However in the books, Australia was used by Benson in Zero Minus Ten and South Africa was used in Carte Blanche. I think it was also supposed to be used in Per Fine Ounce, but we may never know on that one. I never read much of Gardner's books, did he send Bond to Canada ever?

#5 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

It's odd Australia hasn't been used especially since one Bond actor is Australian. Bond was supposed to be sent to Canada in TB, before he convinced M to send him to the Bahamas. However in the books, Australia was used by Benson in Zero Minus Ten and South Africa was used in Carte Blanche. I think it was also supposed to be used in Per Fine Ounce, but we may never know on that one. I never read much of Gardner's books, did he send Bond to Canada ever?

Gardner had Bond briefly visit Vancouver at the start of Brokenclaw. Fleming certainly had Bond in Canada on a couple of occasions.

#6 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

For the record, Bond has actually been filmed in Malta (but I think that every time it was standing for another place).
In Weinberg's The Moneypenny Diaries, Moneypenny was born and raised in colonial Africa, and Uganda appears briefly in CR.

#7 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

They have, haven't they? 1962 Dr No - Jamaica, on the cusp of independence, or just after. 1965 - Thunderball - The Bahamas, again in the throws of independence from the UK. The brief scene in DAF involving Wint & Kidd and the dentist was supposedly set in South Africa. Back to Jamaica again, for filming at least, in LALD.

YOLT, TMWTGG & DAD were both set for a short while in Hong Kong, a Crown Territory at the time. Octopussy, 1983, filmed in what was at one time "the jewel in the crown" of the British Empire, India. 1987 - Gibraltar for the TLD pre title credits - still a Crown colony in spite of Spain's protestations. Then back to The Bahamas in 2006 for CR.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bond in any of the countries/territories mentioned in the first post here, particularly Canada. But it's not true to say that Bond hasn't been filmed in or been set in ex-British colonies, or even existing ones.

#8 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

Too safe basically.Not much in the way of international intrigue and danger in Australia or Canada.

#9 Colombo

Colombo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

I take a measure of comfort that Moore at least name-checks visiting my (ex-colonial) neck of the woods in Octopussy, when he said: "l traced Smythe to Sri Lanka, and gave him 24 hours to clear up his affairs before l took him back."

#10 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Too safe basically.Not much in the way of international intrigue and danger in Australia or Canada.

It's all in what the villains bring to those places. Quantum was interested in Canada, so there may be a thread to exploit there.

#11 tonyvenhuizen

tonyvenhuizen

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

It is fair to say that Ian Fleming did not prefer to use many commonwealth nations, and to some degree that has influenced the films to this day.

Fleming used places he had been: Istanbul, Jamaica and the Bahamas, Japan, and numerous locations in the US and Europe.

The films have expanded beyond this, but Fleming's choices certainly affected the direction of the movies in this way.

#12 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Agreed. It's hard to see how they'd work them into the story, but you never know. Being Canadian, I certainly wouldn't object to Mr. Bond having a visit here.

#13 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

I still dream of Bond returning to Jamaica.