This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

How did Bond survive the pre-title sequence in SF?

44 replies to this topic

#1 Morgan

Morgan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:57 AM

Can someone explain how Bond survived the pre-tilte sequence in SF? I've seen it twice and can't figure it out and don't think it was explained in the film.

#2 roger no more

roger no more

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:01 AM

Its a movie..why so serious? Then I also not understand how Bond can walk back to London at the end, same as how Silva can jail break.Its a movie.

#3 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:04 AM

That may just be the only tiny thing that kind of bothered me within the whole film.

You know it may have been a mistake, when people around you in the theater are even questioning the scene out loud...
Responses I picked up on in my immediate vicinity:

"He could never survive that!"
"That looked over eighty feet..."

#4 Morgan

Morgan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

It's my biggest peeve in SF because never in any previous Bond film have we not seen or heard how Bond survives a death defying moment. NEVER!

Its a movie..why so serious? Then I also not understand how Bond can walk back to London at the end, same as how Silva can jail break.Its a movie.

Because I'm a serious Bond fan and don't want to see Bond return to the cartoonish over the top days of RM.

#5 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:18 AM

Spoiler

A bit much but, that is Classic Bond. Over-the-top somewhere or another.

Do I wish that particular page of the script/section of the storyboard had magically come up missing? Yes.

Edited by Trevelyan 006, 14 November 2012 - 03:27 AM.

#6 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

Assuming this topic will be moved to the Skyfall spoilers section.

You know it may have been a mistake, when people around you in the theater are even questioning the scene out loud...

I've heard people who are shocked by what happens, but haven't yet overheard anyone question Bond's survival in my theatrical experiences. There was a guy in one showing who flipped out over

Spoiler

Which I found strange. The viewer's reaction, not the survival. He didn't seem to have a problem with Bond's 300+ foot drop, but thought the villain would go out that easily.

#7 dogmanstar

dogmanstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:25 AM

Not that it really helps . . . . but I just assumed that's why Bond was MIA for so long. He was recovering from his very severe injuries; he wasn't only being peevish because M commanded Eve to take the shot. That doesn't explain how he survived, but it's a rationale nonetheless.

#8 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

Assuming this topic will be moved to the Skyfall spoilers section.

Fixed. Better safe than sorry.

#9 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

It's my biggest peeve in SF because never in any previous Bond film have we not seen or heard how Bond survives a death defying moment. NEVER!

Because I'm a serious Bond fan and don't want to see Bond return to the cartoonish over the top days of RM.

I assume you must be being at least SOMEWHAT facetious about "NEVER" receiving an explanation as to why Bond survived something... because I'm still trying to figure out how Bond and Camille survived the sinkhole landing in 'Quantum'. Having a parachute open for only 50-100 feet doesn't magically make a few-hundred-foot drop from a flying airplane onto rock leave one with only minor injuries. These two moments in QoS and SF are not the only ones explained away through mere suspension of disbelief... even in the "realistic" Bond films.

I also don't know what an "RM" is... "Rocket Man"? ;)

#10 Morgan

Morgan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

I assume you must be being at least SOMEWHAT facetious about "NEVER" receiving an explanation as to why Bond survived something... because I'm still trying to figure out how Bond and Camille survived the sinkhole landing in 'Quantum'. Having a parachute open for only 50-100 feet doesn't magically make a few-hundred-foot drop from a flying airplane onto rock leave one with only minor injuries. These two moments in QoS and SF are not the only ones explained away through mere suspension of disbelief... even in the "realistic" Bond films.

At least in QOS they give you something to suggest how they survived the fall and that's my point. The audiance is not given anything in SF to suggest how Bond survived the fall.

And yes "RM" is for Rocket Man :)

#11 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

watch DR.No the novel, he fall off the cliff and fight a giant squid...READ IT!

Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty falls offs down into the fall, and Sherlock survives......

#12 Morgan

Morgan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

watch DR.No the novel, he fall off the cliff and fight a giant squid...READ IT!

Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty falls offs down into the fall, and Sherlock survives......

Your missing my point. We know he survives but what we want to know is how? Now go back to watching Dr. No the novel.

#13 tonyvenhuizen

tonyvenhuizen

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

What about the pre-title of You Only Live Twice? Bond is folded up into the Murphy Bed, and the gunmen riddle the bed with bullets. Then they open the bed and find him dead. Was he really dead? Were the gunmen in on it? Was he hit at all? It is never explained.

#14 peejnyc007

peejnyc007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

Butch to Sundance before jumping off the cliff into the river below: "Are you crazy? The fall alone will kill you!!"

#15 Morgan

Morgan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:21 AM

What about the pre-title of You Only Live Twice? Bond is folded up into the Murphy Bed, and the gunmen riddle the bed with bullets. Then they open the bed and find him dead. Was he really dead? Were the gunmen in on it? Was he hit at all? It is never explained.

In That was all staged by MI6 as explained by M (“Well now that you're dead, perhaps some of your old friends will pay a little less attention to you for a while. Give you more elbow room.”)

#16 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:25 AM

At least in QOS they give you something to suggest how they survived the fall and that's my point. The audiance is not given anything in SF to suggest how Bond survived the fall.

And yes "RM" is for Rocket Man :)

Spoiler

As for the drop, it's improbable, but not impossible to survive a fall like that. In 1975, Hank Williams Jr. fell 500 feet off Ajax Peak in Montana onto SOLID ROCK not water and survived. So it may seem impossible, but not necessarily.

#17 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

If people can survive falling thousands of feet without a parachute, then Bond can survive falling into water.

Also, it's a film. And a BOND film. Says it all.

Edited by PPK_19, 14 November 2012 - 07:25 AM.

#18 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

Mod note: topic moved.

#19 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

People have successfully made high dives of more than 170 feet. This is essentially what Bond does. He enters the water head-first, perhaps unconsciously and by good fortune, or perhaps because he's still conscious and is executing a deliberate survival mechanism. If he were shown smacking face-first into the water, that would be unsurvivable. But the way he enters the water is similar enough to a controlled dive that his survival is not freakish or fantastical.

I'm more bothered by the fact that a Caterpillar 320 DL mini excavator is shown roaring to life instantly, without Bond first inserting the operator's key into the ignition, turning the throttle knob clockwise, and disengaging the safety lockout lever. I sure hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

#20 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

The Kasım Gülek Bridge in Adana is 99m high. Its really hard to survive but its not impossible. I am more interested in how he was rescued. We wont even know it anyway.

#21 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

The Varda Viaduct also doesn't have water beneath it, so I'm happy to suspend belief for the sake of the movie and Bond's survival. :)

#22 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

The Kasım Gülek Bridge in Adana is 99m high. Its really hard to survive but its not impossible. I am more interested in how he was rescued. We wont even know it anyway.

Weren't you paying attention YOLT? A MASSIVE hand plucked him from the water. Apparently massive hands are breeding like rats in Turkey. Lucky there was one around when Bond needed saving most.

In all seriousness i think we are to assume that the woman we see him shacked up with on the beach rescued him.

#23 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

I don’t need to see the movie in order to comment on this, it’s widely known. I don’t have any problem with the fall from the bridge. I’m happy to go along with it. Thematically, Bond ‘dies’ and has a ‘rebirth’.

#24 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

What is important for the story with this scene? Bond is shot and takes a massive fall. Which he survives and decides to take a little leave-of-absence. Important is not how he survived, important is that he survived, while his service assumes him dead. You could have the same story, just told in M's office within a debriefing of the remaining field agent. 'And 007?' 'Dead.' 'Shame. Sell his possessions and buy a new Aston from the proceeds.'.

You will notice SKYFALL's version is decidedly more entertaining.

Edited by Dustin, 14 November 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#25 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

One of the things I really love about SkyFall is that it doesn't spoonfeed every detail to the viewer. This is a great instance of that. Could they have shown someone rescuing Bond from the river and then his recovery and rehabilitation? Sure. Would that have been worthwhile use of screentime? No, at least not for me.

#26 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

I think I was the first one to question how Bond could survive the fall when we seen the trailer, but that was months ago. I'm surprised were still discussing it, I suppose some people stayed spoiler free. Anyway I wonder if Patrice survived his fall....

The Varda Viaduct also doesn't have water beneath it, so I'm happy to suspend belief for the sake of the movie and Bond's survival. :)

LOL, great point.

#27 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Maybe in the Director's Cut we'll see M, in the end, look up at Bond and say "I see dead people".

#28 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

and then turn at the camera:
'...so many dead people.'

#29 lechero

lechero

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

It likes questioning how Batman gets back to Gotham in TDKR.
The answer is simple: He's James Bond.

Edited by lechero, 14 November 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#30 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

It likes questioning how Batman gets back to Gotham in TDKR.
The answer is simple: He's James Bond.

Exactly what I said.