9 replies to this topic

#1 A Kristatos

A Kristatos

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

After an amazing experience watching "Skyfall", the only part of the film that I have been wavering on was how they handled M's exit from the series. After letting things digest for a bit, I came to the conclusion that the final scene of the movie would have been a disaster had they not killed M off. Imagine Bond going into M's office and telling him he accepts his assignment "with pleasure" after M had been forced to retire for past mistakes. That would make Bond look condescending and heartless as if he was happy to be rid of working with Dench's M. So obviously that last scene would have to be rewritten if they kept M alive, but I don't think it would have had anywhere near the impact the final scene did have.

Therefore, my question for everyone is this: Could the writers have found a way to retire M in an honorable fashion while keeping her alive, and yet end the movie with the same emotional punch as it did end? Don't get me wrong, I find the way the movie was written about as perfect as it could be, and I don't think I would want the writers to tamper with a good thing. Just more or less wondering how others feel about how her exit was handled, and if anyone here was upset that they killed her off in the first place. I'd be curious since I know there probably are plenty of opinions on how the producers handled this.

Edited by A Kristatos, 11 November 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#2 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

I think it would have been possible, but personally I liked that M died. I mean it was really honorable and James was there to see her last moments and he did everything he could to protect her.

#3 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

I think it would have been possible, but personally I liked that M died. I mean it was really honorable and James was there to see her last moments and he did everything he could to protect her.

Indeed. It gave Judi a memorable farewell. This M just didn't retired or was replaced like Bernard Lee or Robert Brown, she died on the job. And I could notice Bond crying in that scene.

#4 A Kristatos

A Kristatos

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

I agree. It was a very honorable death, and she goes down as completely devoted to her government, and dies a hero as she gave up her life for king and country. That's why I think they did the right thing in having her die as well. I'm sure though there will be a few posters here who may think otherwise and I am interested in their perspective.

Indeed. It gave Judi a memorable farewell. This M just didn't retired or was replaced like Bernard Lee or Robert Brown, she died on the job. And I could notice Bond crying in that scene.

Very true. And Craig nailed his emotion perfectly. I think Lazenby would be the only other Bond actor who could handle this scene.

Edited by A Kristatos, 11 November 2012 - 11:35 PM.

#5 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

They definitely did the right thing. It was a very ballsy move to put that into the story, and it paid off. Perfect exit from the series. Honorable for her character and very emotional. It also let Judi Dench go out on top because the scene is so memorable. I think now was the right time - she'd be 80 by the time Bond 24 is out.

#6 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

I don't think there was any alternative to killing M off. EON started the film with the knowledge that Dench was retiring from the role, and (if my memory serves me correctly) it was Logan who commented that he was either credited with or, attracted by the plot-hook of removing a major character.

Consequently the whole story unfolds in a way that that is the ultimate conclusion. If M weren't to die, then the previous hour of the film would have to be re-written to give Silva a slightly different arc i.e. - as a villain he would have to have some other plot twist to chase so as to give the climax of the film some tension and drama.

Villain, out to kill M, knifed by Bond, M retires, end of film, probably would have been anti-climactic. TWINE (no, I'm not saying it's anywhere close to SF) had M being kidnapped and the nuclear stuff to give tension and drama to the final act. Our payoff as audience is to see Bond thwart the villain's plan that has been the narrative thrust of the story.

I know I'm not being very clear - if anyone gets my drift, please help me out!

#7 A Kristatos

A Kristatos

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

I don't think there was any alternative to killing M off. EON started the film with the knowledge that Dench was retiring from the role, and (if my memory serves me correctly) it was Logan who commented that he was either credited with or, attracted by the plot-hook of removing a major character.

Consequently the whole story unfolds in a way that that is the ultimate conclusion. If M weren't to die, then the previous hour of the film would have to be re-written to give Silva a slightly different arc i.e. - as a villain he would have to have some other plot twist to chase so as to give the climax of the film some tension and drama.

Villain, out to kill M, knifed by Bond, M retires, end of film, probably would have been anti-climactic. TWINE (no, I'm not saying it's anywhere close to SF) had M being kidnapped and the nuclear stuff to give tension and drama to the final act. Our payoff as audience is to see Bond thwart the villain's plan that has been the narrative thrust of the story.

I know I'm not being very clear - if anyone gets my drift, please help me out!

That was clear to me. Thanks! :)

#8 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:24 AM

Plus I felt like after the monologue and stuff that she was going to die. I predicted it and I was right. Plus I like how Ralph Fiennes is the new "m" He better be in the new Bond.

#9 EyesOnly

EyesOnly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

It was a good death no doubt. They had to kill M as I think it was the only way for the series to continue on from the "mother/Bond" relationship. Time for a normal mission next time around.

#10 Golddragon71

Golddragon71

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:49 AM

I liked the way it was handled I didn't have a sense or feeling of "Damn why did they have to kill her off?!?" Her passing was both logical and respectful. also I like Ralph Fiennes as the new M I can see him actually matching the description Fleming had of Sir Miles (Even if that's not the person he is)

fun fact Ralph Fiennes is the second John Steed (of The Avengers fame*) to show up in a Bond movie

*Posted Image
NO! NOT THAT!...............

THIS!!!!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Golddragon71, 12 November 2012 - 04:51 AM.