This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Skyfall novel? A missed opportunity ( mild spoilers)

10 replies to this topic

#1 tuttle300

tuttle300

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

You know... I was lucky enough to be able to see the film yesterday here in Ohio yesterday- opening day

And being a long time fan ( first Bond I saw in a theater- after watching the rest on TV beforehand, was Spy Who Loved Me) I truly think that the Fleming estate missed the boat on not allowing a novelization to be made from this film. I say this because I assume the estate has final approval on if a book is made based on any of the films

Dare I say a hardcover could have easily made some decent money back for this particular project

And this is not just a missed opportunity simply as just another novelization for just another film- this also falls on the 60th anniversary of the books themselves that the films sprang from.

The books are the core of the entire franchise.

And yes, while there were several very nice books approved as companion books to this film, a novel was what I was really looking forward to since I had been hearing so many great comments on the script as the film was being made

And to not have approved THIS particular story to be released in book form is..... very bad. Especially knowing the few iconic events that happen in the film as well as the one on one battle between Bond the the bad guy

But then, its over now and at least we do have the film.

But I'm sure there are a few thousand fans out there who have been collecting the books and I would think they would have loved to have a book version.

As many of you know, a book can get into the minds of the characters in ways a film cannot. It can expand on back stories with each of the characters that a film can only show us either in passing or verbally.

And in this particular story- out of all the Bond stories- a book version would have been truly an epic experience to read ( providing the right author had been chosen)

But then again- nothing can be done now.

But I just wanted to express my regret over what I think was a huge missed opportunity and I wondered what some of the fans of the books ( from Fleming to Gardner to Benson and beyond)
think of it.

#2 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

CR was published in 53 and a novelisation so soon before would take away from the event of

http://www.thebookbo...james-bond.html

Edited by quantumofsolace, 11 November 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

I never thought QUANTUM OF SOLACE needed a novelization, but I think Raymond Benson could have done an excellent SKYFALL novelization.

There are a few things in SKYFALL that could be fleshed out in a novelization - some interesting characters and ideas that the film only scratches the surface of. MAJOR SPOILERS

Spoiler

#4 Glenn

Glenn

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

After I saw the film I said to my wife that Skyfall was less a Bond film (no over the top action chases) and more of an Ian Fleming novel. Having recently re-read Goldfinger I do believe that Skyfall is the very sort of plot the Fleming would have been able to use.

I would have loved a book of the film, and do not believe that it is too late, it could be released with the dvd......if an author could be found today and he/she could complete it by the middle of next week.

#5 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

I never thought QUANTUM OF SOLACE needed a novelization, but I think Raymond Benson could have done an excellent SKYFALL novelization.

There are a few things in SKYFALL that could be fleshed out in a novelization - some interesting characters and ideas that the film only scratches the surface of. MAJOR SPOILERS

Spoiler

If you transport those ideas back to a movie, it wouldn't be too bad a concept for - dare I say it - a spinoff, be it for TV or the cinema (or both?)

Something like this:
Spoiler

#6 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

I believe film tie-ins are primarily an item of promotion for a film today and thus a question of a simple calculation for the studio, how much effort for how many more sold tickets/DVDs/other franchise. In that calculation a novelisation today doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

That said a SKYFALL tie-in could have been a marvellous and most interesting story. It would effectively reboot Bond a second time, doing probably a lot of what CARTE BLANCHE was supposed to. But I think neither Eon/Sony nor IFP were particularly eager to go this route. IFP have their own baby due next year and from the producers' side the novelisation would have to explain a lot of thing the film could get away with by sleight of hand.

#7 Gothamite

Gothamite

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

SKYFALL felt particularly like an Ian Fleming story set in the 21st century and I would have adored a well-written novel to accompany the excellent film. The ending was deliriously Fleming-like, even though it's not based on anything from a particular story. I would have liked some expansion on Bond's drug addiction, his relationship with Severine and obviously loads more interaction between M and Silva.

This is a job for a gifted fan-fiction writer.

Edited by Gothamite, 10 November 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#8 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

I agree that Skyfall feels like a Fleming story. A novelization would be great, but I don't think it's particularly necessary. We haven't gotten one since DAD and I don't think we need one now. If one were made, it would solely be to make money off the back of the film.

#9 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

Benson? Really?!

#10 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

I am working on the novelisation already. If it's good enough, I'll post it in the FF section.

#11 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:08 AM

I am working on the novelisation already. If it's good enough, I'll post it in the FF section.

I look forward to it! And that it will actually be posted!