24 replies to this topic

#1 Doctor No

Doctor No

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

Can anyone that has seen Skyfall in IMAX tell me if they thought it was worth the extra $$ or if it was a letdown? I've been debating this and wanted to hear it from my Bond people out there. :) Sorry if this has been posted else where I couldn't find it and I didn't want to go into the spoilers section to find out. All opinions would be appreciated.

#2 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

That is one big damn YES!!!!!!

There are no words to describe what an incredible impact IMAX has on the action and vividnes of the sets.

#3 nickjb007

nickjb007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

I think it depends. Me and my fiancé went last night and got there twenty minutes early and the line was already backed up. We went to a real IMAX theatre. And we sat in the middle. It was great but it was also over stimulating for me. It was so much and have to turn your head back and forth to follow action scenes and conversations. I will see it again this weekend but probably at the regular screening. It was a great experience and the crowd loved it. Overall it was worth the extra right bucks we paid extra.

#4 FredJB007

FredJB007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

YES, YES, YES! If you get the opportunity to see it in IMAX, please do.

#5 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

I saw it in a Liemax screen and that felt just about right. I'm not sure it'd work too well on proper IMAX as it isn't shot for it, but it looked great on a bigger screen- stuff like the Scotland landscape and Shanghai look amazing, and there were definite things I spotted on IMAX that I couldn't see in the regular screening (the CGI Craig face on 'Bond' going over the waterfall, 'Bond' on the tombstone in the credits etc.). The massive explosion is spectacular in IMAX in a way it isn't on a regular screen.

You get more at the top and bottom, too.

#6 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

YES! I saw it at IMAX London and it was so damn good to look at. Better to take in Deakins gorgeous cinematography and vibrant colours too.

Do it.

#7 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

I believe the sound in IMAX is far superb to the regular theater, however, I always found IMAX to be nothing more than a gimmick. It's like seeing a movie in 3D, it's nice at the beginning, but after a few minutes you tend to stop noticing it. I've never been overly impressed with IMAX especially since only parts of the movies' are usually filmed in the format. Personally, I don't think it matters. But other people find it far better.

#8 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

The film looks absolutely incredible in IMAX. The extra six or so bucks are worth it, without question.

#9 5thstreet

5thstreet

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

I say YES.

#10 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

I believe the sound in IMAX is far superb to the regular theater, however, I always found IMAX to be nothing more than a gimmick. It's like seeing a movie in 3D, it's nice at the beginning, but after a few minutes you tend to stop noticing it. I've never been overly impressed with IMAX especially since only parts of the movies' are usually filmed in the format. Personally, I don't think it matters. But other people find it far better.

Well you're not supposed to notice it; you're just supposed to have a better movie-watching experience.

#11 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

Great to hear the positive IMAX remarks! I've got my tickets for tomorrow's first matinee feature in IMAX. I agree with the other post that the sound has always been superior in IMAX screenings I've attended compared with standard theater sound. As a huge fan of scope cinematography, I'm intrigued to see the 26% more image on the screen and then compare it in a later viewing with the standard scope framing. Either way, I'm super stoked for my SKYFALL IMAX experience!

#12 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

I have seen it in IMAX and on a regular screen and IMAX is the way to go. The vividness of the IMAX version is far superior.

#13 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

It's eye-poppingly gorgeous in IMAX, with dynamite sound. That's the best way to see it, for sure.

#14 Aisforauric

Aisforauric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

I can absolutely confirm that an IMAX cinema is the way to go. No spoilers, but one bit of audio near the end and one scene (for it's detail) just after that will make the extra bucks spent worth it. Worth mentioning Skyfall isn't actually shot in IMAX, but is presented in a way that works brilliantly in an IMAX screen. Enjoy it, Doctor No.

#15 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

Yes.

#16 Secret007

Secret007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:03 AM

SKYFALL was my first IMAX Experience. In my theatre, it was too loud for me to enjoy. I am deaf in one ear as it is and need to protect my other ear from loud noises. The standard movie screen during the daytime showings don't seem to bother me as much.
While I found the IMAX screen to be a perfectly clear picture (you can see every wrinkle and tear drop), I probably will not spend the $14 plus to see IMAX again.

#17 junkanoo

junkanoo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:26 AM

It's eye-poppingly gorgeous in IMAX, with dynamite sound. That's the best way to see it, for sure.

As Q says ... "I concur"

#18 Daniel_Craig

Daniel_Craig

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

Skyfall in IMAX was fantastic! The best thing you could do with the film. I saw the film on a 600 m² screen. Real IMAX (4K digital projection) and not a fake IMAX. The spectacular images and sound. Wow! One had the feeling of being in the middle of your movies. As Skyfall exploded shook the theater. An unforgettable movie experience for me. :) I'm glad that EON has turned to the IMAX format, and dispensed 3D. 3D destroyed every movie experience.

Who has the chance to see Skyfall in an IMAX cinema, which should do it! The curious thing was the price of the tickets. They were cheaper than the tickets for a normal 2K digital screening.

#19 agent00

agent00

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Absolutely worth it, you can always see the movie again and again on smaller screens :D

#20 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

As Skyfall exploded shook the theater.

It's true- the explosion has nowhere near the same impact as on IMAX.

I know someone who actually witnessed the explosion live (at 3am! Nutter :) ) and he said it was rubbish. IMAX is better than life! :)

#21 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

Oh, please, of COURSE it is worth ! Consider: is a movie more enjoyable on a 4 inch handheld screen, a 13 inch tv, or a large flat screen ? Now, in the theater -- what's better -- oh, do I have to spell it out in detail ?
The IMAX screen -- especially when you sit close but not too close but juuuuust right -- pretty much fills your field of vision, top to bottom, left to right, so it's like you looking at the real world...the movie becomes your real world. As opposed to looking at a rectangle of images that are just a portion of all that you see.
Not to mention -- the sound. The sound system at an IMAX theater is SO superior !
I cannot believe this discussion is even posted !??! And that I spent this much time on it -- but there's just SO much of a difference. How much does it matter ? How's this: I have seen The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises and Prometheus each 2 to 4 times...and ONLY in IMAX. I have the DVDs, a nice large flat-screen with a terrific stereo connected to it and...I just don't yearn to ruin the experience. When I seek Skyfall again (and again), it'll be at the IMAX theater, as it was last night.
By the way -- WOW ! What an ASTOUNDINGLY excellent film !

#22 dogmanstar

dogmanstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

I don't think it was that much better than a regular theater experience--there were some great wide shots but in the action sequences, it was a little too hard to follow for me (granted I didn't have the best seats near the middle). The sound was excellent, though, but again, worth the extra cost? Meh. Not for me.

#23 201050

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

I've seen it in regular and IMAX and have to say that it was even slightly better in IMAX. For the record, when I go to IMAX viewings, I sit in the very last row. To me, that works perfectly at capturing the grandeur without making me have to "follow" the characters around the screen. It's probably my preferred way to see a film, at least a serious, cerebral film like this. I saw Dark Knight Rises three times, all IMAX.

Regarding the lines; This is the opening weekend of a highly anticipated film which has received excellent reviews. I expect crowds everywhere. Both viewings for me so far have been full, with lines already long for the showing after mine. I don't think that part is avoidable, regardless of screen, sound system, etc.

#24 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

Worth every additional penny to me. I wasn't expecting it to fill the IMAX screen like it did. It was truly exhilarating to see it with a huge audience on that size screen, in that clarity (true IMAX digital projection), with that sound system (my gosh, what a sound system!). The audience erupted into applause at several classic moments and again at the end. IMAX is my favorite way to see a movie.

#25 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:31 AM

I want to see it in IMAX. We have an IMAX theater nearby and I kind of want to drive there and go see it again.