This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Anyone think that Bond 24 won't be as good?

40 replies to this topic

#31 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Yeah, Craig was clearly disinterested, what with having such a hands on role behind the scenes, more than any other Bond :rolleyes:

Edited by jamie00007, 09 November 2012 - 08:06 AM.

#32 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

Given the excellent reviews Skyfall is getting, it'll be tough turning out another one that is as good.

#33 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:49 AM

Can't we just enjoy Skyfall for a few minutes before we move on to Bond 24?

#34 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

I don't understand the third act hate, at all. For me, it's one of the highlights of the film. Narratively-driven and constantly gripping. Intelligent action all backed by some rather beautifully realized visuals of an otherwise bleak location and landscape. It feels like something that could have come directly from a Fleming novel.

The nostalgia of it really gets me. I grew up on a farm in rural Canada. I'm not saying it resembled the Skyfall grounds, but it evokes a lot of 'cold winter' day/night feelings I can remember having. I loved it.

#35 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

I completely agree. The thing is with Bond films, that the final act tends to go downhill. Skyfall left me pleasantly surprised. Quite a few Bond films struggle with the final act. The last 40 minutes of Skyfall where terrific. Didn't drag at all. Loved every second.

#36 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

I have only seen it once so far (leaving for viewing two, right after I hit enter on this post), but I quite agree: the third act was incredibly awesome. I loved it for many reasons, least of which is that it was so different than what we've come to expect from a Bond finale, and yet at the same time it fits perfectly into what we expect from a Bond finale.

That's what I loved about Skyfall, it presented us with the old Bond tropes, but made them feel absolutely fresh again.

#37 Nick Bone

Nick Bone

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

I have only seen it once so far (leaving for viewing two, right after I hit enter on this post), but I quite agree: the third act was incredibly awesome. I loved it for many reasons, least of which is that it was so different than what we've come to expect from a Bond finale, and yet at the same time it fits perfectly into what we expect from a Bond finale.

That's what I loved about Skyfall, it presented us with the old Bond tropes, but made them feel absolutely fresh again.

Couldn´t agree more, well said! That´s the whole thing in Skyfall: the old dog has learned some new tricks and the old ones felt fresh.

#38 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

I also agree. I love the third act. I think it's the best part of the film.

#39 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

I don't consider SKYFALL to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, so I don't see why BOND 24 can't take it down.

I loved Skyfall but it can most certainly be improved upon. I think with a firmly establish M, Q, Moneypenny(love all three casting choices) the next one could be the total Bond experience minus the prequel/reboot element, which I look forward to.

#40 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

We are still in the re-boot era, folks. Everything that you saw before Craig does not exist.

Bring back Sam Mendes for a repeat. He developed the most authentic 007 since FRWT.

I was leary of Mendes doing a Bond film, I had faith in his story-telling abilities, but was concerned about his action movie abilities.

That is all put to rest now.

Bring Sam Mendes back for Bond 24. Full stop!!

#41 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

I thought the third act was fine.

I'm not 100% behind Mendes returning just yet, I'll have to see it a few more times but let someone else new direct and hold out on Mendes until they need him perhaps when they bring in a new Bond actor...