73 replies to this topic

#61 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

Not really a plot hole, but am I alone in being rather amused by M's quaintly parochial attempt to threaten Silva by invoking the Crown Prosecution Service? (Her line of dialogue goes something like: "You'll be kept here until the Crown Prosecution Service gets back to us on your case.") As though she'd ever allow him to be tried in open court, which would expose to the public the inner workings of MI6 from the Hong Kong handover to the present day, not to mention her own extensive catalogue of betrayals and blunders.

Not to mention that it sounds a bit odd to have the CPS dealing with.... a Bond villain.

#62 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

Not to mention that it sounds a bit odd to have the CPS dealing with.... a Bond villain.

Agreed. Silva's the first villain to get caught by the good ones since... Sánchez or Zao I think.

#63 Me. Yes Me

Me. Yes Me

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

My pet peev is, once the doors are unlocked and opened (because Q is too dum/arrogant to isolate the computer he is trying to hack, from the main MI6 network. And by the way, any IT guy who did not saw that one coming should get out of that field especially given the fact that MI6 had being hacked previously), where did Silva get the silencer gun (silencer because its like no one saw Silva coming to shoot them) to kill everyone who was watching him before escaping?

#64 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

where did Silva get the silencer gun (silencer because its like no one saw Silva coming to shoot them) to kill everyone who was watching him before escaping?

Silva believed he was a better agent than Bond, and claimed to have been M's number one man in the past. So either way he possessed skills. It's very likely he overpowered the guard closest to him, took his gun and went from there.

Edited by sharpshooter, 07 December 2012 - 08:13 AM.

#65 Bames Jond

Bames Jond

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

Perhaps this isn't actually a plot hole, but why do the police officers halt M's car on the bridge in London just before the bomb inside MI6 goes off? Or is it made clear that other things happened prior to the explosion to set off special security measures?

I don't remember it being explicitly said in dialogue, but that was what I gleaned from the scene.

In the same time frame, Bond purposely breaks through the ice to avoid getting shot by Silva. Silva just laughs and walks towards the chapel. Considering that Silva is a mastermind, did he really think Bond, a trained professional, would not survive that? Why would he not wait for him to resurface and shoot him before going to kill M, who is obviously sitting in the chapel waiting for Bond and is going nowhere?

I think it's reasonable for Silva to assume Bond wasn't coming out of there alive. He did briefly pause to see if Bond would resurface, but then walked away when he didn't.

#66 Robertsmiller

Robertsmiller

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

I was thinkin, if the Digger that Bond ran over and jumped onto the train with didn't get shot off, would it have fit into the tunnels that the train ends up going through?

#67 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

This isn't a plot hole per se (more like a plot blank), but how did Silva know the doors would be unlocked at just the right time to escape and make it to the public hearing on time?

In regards to the train derailment, the first time I watched the film, I got the impression that Silva was going to trigger the bomb as soon as he had the opportunity, with the intention of blocking the way for anybody on his trail. With enough of a leg up on the MI6 agents, who would probably be delayed by the confusion of the security breach, the fact that the next train might not show up immediately after the explosion would not be of great importance - at the worst case, it wasn't going to take more a than a few minutes to pass, particularly on rush hour.

Somebody did mention, however, that the goal of the derailment probably was to divert the attention of the police towards that incident and away from the hearing. That's most likely what the writers had in mind.

I think it would have been a good idea to have Silva conceal a small weapon inside his dentures. A knife, for example, to deal with the guards.

#68 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

I've been following the Jordan Snowed news coverage with interest (that's a thread on its own) and this came to mind... and I think its a new one unless I missed the discussion. 

Shouldn't Q have been fired or at least immediately suspended followed by an investigation into how he allowed MI6's mainframe to be hacked or bugged in the first place? 

Surely he is not working with Silva but shouldn't he have known what he was doing? Seems like an a amateur move doesn't it, the old Trojan house trick?

Perhaps a future Bond film will make a gag of it? I suppose I never really thought about it much but Q is ultimately the reason M was killed. Had Q not have hooked up Silva's computer he wouldn't have escaped right? I wonder if Bond will hold it against him....

#69 GalaSilva

GalaSilva

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Perhaps a future Bond film will make a gag of it? I suppose I never really thought about it much but Q is ultimately the reason M was killed. Had Q not have hooked up Silva's computer he wouldn't have escaped right? I wonder if Bond will hold it against him....

I don't think John Logan will think that much into the chain of events that lead to M's death. Although, I do agree that Q sort of had a part to play I guess. But also Bond could've killed Silva at the island, because surely they would've intercepted. He died anyway at Skyfall? 

But if all that happened Skyfall wouldn't be Skyfall. Haha.

Edited by GalaSilva, 23 June 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#70 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

Shouldn't Q have been fired or at least immediately suspended followed by an investigation into how he allowed MI6's mainframe to be hacked or bugged in the first place? 

Yes to both, actually.  Mallory should have suspended the quartermaster following Silva's escape and attack on the tribunal while a full investigation was put into motion.  Once Bond returned from Skyfall with the news that M had passed, the quartermaster should have been fired.

#71 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

tumblr_misuy3UMgw1qepqgko2_500.gif

#72 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

Good point. I suppose Mallory was fine with Q since it meant he would got M's job but wasn't that the plan already? 

#73 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

Good point. I suppose Mallory was fine with Q since it meant he would got M's job but wasn't that the plan already? 

M was already being fired.  Mallory didn't need anything else to happen in order to get himself installed as the next M.  He was, assuming everything followed a logical timeline in the case that M had survived the film, going to become the new M at the end of the film regardless.

#74 junkanoo

junkanoo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

My pet peev is, once the doors are unlocked and opened (because Q is too dum/arrogant to isolate the computer he is trying to hack, from the main MI6 network. And by the way, any IT guy who did not saw that one coming should get out of that field especially given the fact that MI6 had being hacked previously), where did Silva get the silencer gun (silencer because its like no one saw Silva coming to shoot them) to kill everyone who was watching him before escaping?

This.  The whole bit of Silva unleased on London is based on someone being incompetent in their job.  Once you realize just how stupid/implausible that is as a "plan" the whole thing becomes cringeable.