38 replies to this topic

#31 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

It wouldn't have to be a police state. A man walking the streets and looking like Bond does in that scene would be likely to arouse poiice interest in most major cities.

#32 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

It wouldn't have to be a police state. A man walking the streets and looking like Bond does in that scene would be likely to arouse poiice interest in most major cities.

Yes, I'm sure that's why you called it 'Communist Hong Kong'.

#33 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

You're right, Silhouette Man. I'm largey responsible for derailing the thread. Sorry.

#34 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

The GQ article was nicely written. It would been impossible to find such an article in a big-name magazine during the Brosnan years, when Dalton was routinely trashed in the media as a failure. Consider this article evidence that the Dalton films are being looked at in light of Craig's, and that wider and wider sections of the public are recognizing them as unheralded precursors of the direction Bond is currently taking.

#35 IcedCamaro

IcedCamaro

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

The GQ article was nicely written. It would been impossible to find such an article in a big-name magazine during the Brosnan years, when Dalton was routinely trashed in the media as a failure. Consider this article evidence that the Dalton films are being looked at in light of Craig's, and that wider and wider sections of the public are recognizing them as unheralded precursors of the direction Bond is currently taking.

Completely agree, and so glad for it. That article made my day. Amazingly written too.

#36 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

It's funny, when The Living Daylights came out I wasn't all that sure about Dalton. I kind of, sort of liked him, but I also kind of, sort of disliked him as Bond. It was such a change and I didn't quite, "Get it," yet. Between Daylights and LTK I finally had a chance to see the Connery Bond movies, and after that I was ready for LTK. It was Licence To Kill that made me a huge Timothy Dalton fan. When I rewatched The Living Daylights after that I had a new appreciation for Dalton's performance and it became one of my all time favorite Bond movies (along with LTK).

So at first I wasn't sold on Dalton because the only Bond frame of reference I had was the Roger Moore movies and Never Say Never Again. Once I had a full understanding of Bond I became a HUGE Timothy Dalton fan.

I remember walking out after the end of The Rocketeer and commenting to my dad, "I can't wait until the next Bond movie. Timothy Dalton is great!" Sadly, that new Bond movie with Dalton never happened. I'm still disappointed to this day because of that.

#37 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

Acting wise: Dalton takes the cake... With Craig and Connery close behind.

#38 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:23 AM

We are talking about James Bond, world class womanizer. Women ARE a passing fancy until a Tracy shows up. That's part of the message we learn as Bond fans whether we are reminded or not that that attitude might make us misogynist dinosaurs or not. And too keep this on topic, Dalton was a little to cool charismatically with his leading ladies and he never really carried enough impact during his fight scenes even though I did like him as 007. Craig has this but not the Dalton upperclass suaveness. Connery still gets all the high marks.

#39 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

Dalton laid a huge goose egg...twice.